Ignition Barrel getting stuck in "start" position

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hey all, My Key doesnt always auto return to the "on" position after turning to the "start" position and letting it go, I have to manually flick it back once the engine starts.

I removed the Ignition switch and everything is smooth and the return spring from "start" to "on" has decent strength.

I removed the ignition barrel and found it actually has a detent for when its in the "off" position which makes sense so its a touch harder to accidently bump the ignition on but it has the same detent for the start position which seems odd to me and I think what is causing the problem as with the barrell out the little Rack/pinion runs very smoothly and easily.

Edited the photo a little so you could see it easier, has anyone else come across this problem? from memory I have a UC coffee pot and a new ignition barrel to suit UC. I see on rarespares they have a different barrel for LH-LX and UC, not sure if a LH one would help or fit a UC coffee pot?

Attached File  fr_4051_size1024.jpg   235.61K   2 downloads

#2 dron

dron

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Name:Darren
  • Car:UC
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

I would give it a spray with a spray lube like INOX ( wd40 tends to dry out over time) and try again.

#3 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

Is the rod from the key down to the switch underneath the metal retainer ( trying to remember what it looks like 😯) on the colum ? If it’s not it will give the same symptoms you described.
Have done this on a HQ when I was in a hurry 😞 & not checked that the rod was correctly located

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Is the rod from the key down to the switch underneath the metal retainer ( trying to remember what it looks like ) on the colum ? If it’s not it will give the same symptoms you described.
Have done this on a HQ when I was in a hurry & not checked that the rod was correctly located

Hey Trevor can you re-word that? I dont get what you mean... There is the rod from the ignition barrel section that runs to the ignition switch. Dont think anything was restricting it

#5 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

The VB's are kicking in :P

I vaguely remember having the ignition switch off the colum of a HQ while it was in the car for other issues.

When i refitted it i think ( was a couple of years while ago) i either placed the rod in the wrong hole of the switch & it made it bind on the lug/retainer that stop the rod falling out of the switch

or the rod was not being retained by the lug/retainer.............................................................................

Think it was the first

cheers :lol: :P :D

#6 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

I recall having a similar problem with the rod being placed wrongly back in the day.

Memory fails me as to the exact issue, but do recall it was with the rod being in the wrong way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users