HQ wheels center bore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

So I wanted to get some hub centric rings to adapt my Commodore Hopper stoppers Hubs to suit my HQ wheels like these:

https://www.ebay.com...eMAAOSwz5ZZtm3k

I measured my Hubs and they are 69.5mm then measured my wheels which was abit harder as my vernier calipers would not fit so eyeballed it with a tape measure, also the Wheel center bore isnt a nice simple circle shape but my best measurement was 86.5mm

Looked up on ebay for rings about that size but could not find any...

Abit of research confirmed Commodore center bore is 69.5mm could only find one reference of HQ center bore size and it was 71.5mm??

So I dont think my eyeball was 15mm off, although I will double check when I get a chance... Can anyone confirm the HQ size?

Do some aftermarket wheels have larger center bores anyway? and i might have to make some custom rings?

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

From my notes...

VB to VZ Commodore hubs = 69.5mm

VE onward hubs = 66.9mm

I thought HQ wheel centre bores were 70.5mm same as a heap of the American stuff from that era (Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette, Impala, etc.), but I could be wrong?

Yep, aftermarket wheels mostly have larger 'universal' centre bores, best just to take a hub / axle and a wheel to an engineering shop and have them measure (they will have internal vernier calipers).

#3 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Pulled the rear wheels off this arvo to have a look.

Rear Axle spigots were 69mm and got a pic of the inside of wheels, as you can see they are not a nice circle but rather A pressed steel design with the 5 flats and then it tapers from about 76mm down to 50mm so not real easy to measure. think ill have to turn something up on the lathe myself.

Attached Files

#4 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

If that's a HQ GTS wheel, I'm going to say they were never hubcentric, and are only studcentric.

I say this as when I put the VT discs on the front of my Hatch I tried to get the hubs made to suit the above mentioned HQ Hub dia, BUT, after much measuring decided that the simple pressing of the centre doesn't give the accuracy needed for a nice precise hubcentric fit.

I turned up a collar on the lathe and tired it in several different wheels and found enough variation to make the approach a waste of time.

Only thing you could do is to machine the wheel to a known size and then make collars to suit.

As you already have found, the taper in the hub area of the pressed centre also means its all but impossible to make a collar to suit.

My wheels started as 15x7 Ponitac's that I cut up to suit. 

#5 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

Summit racing, they hve a good range of hubcentric spacers, can enter the inner and outer dimensions in search, then gives you a list.

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

I think you might be right Mick, They are actually Cragar SS rims but yes pressed steel and I think you would need to make a plug that fits in the center, glue it into the rim then put the whole rim on a lathe and machine out a center bore... But as you said rim was never designed to be Hub mounted so might not bother.

Attached File  Rear Wheels.jpg   295.2K   4 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users