Lh torana fuel system/tank

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _Jenko_

_Jenko_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

Just in the final stages of my LH Torana build.

I am trying to sort out the fuel system at the moment.

Looking for ideas of what others have done, what fuel pumps and mounting position etc..

Motor is a holden 355 pushing about 550hp at the engine.

#2 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

Lift pump, swirl pot (return to the main tank), EFI roller cell or gerotor (quieter) pump set up with a full bypass system, returned back to the swirl pot.

Mine is 1/2" up and back, yes a bit big, but that's what was available in town.

Overkill, yes, trouble free and will never have fuel supply trouble, absolutely.

I use a carter gold as a lift pump, but want to change it to something quieter, and used to use a big Paxton EFI pump, but have changed that for a Holley Dominator series Twin Pump, the Paxton got crap in it through a BG filter (grrrr). Car used to make 480+HP carburettored, and now is closer to 560+HP with EFI, never had any fuel trouble.

#3 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:39 PM

Street car or race car?
For street only use the hatch has a Holley blue mounted under the floor near the diff.
It’s plenty to feed the 383. Never on full throttle long enough to empty the fuel bowls!

Forgot to add.
Carby or injection?

#4 _Jenko_

_Jenko_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Street car. Carby. Locations is the biggest thing. Their isnt much room under the back. And im not super keen on being able to see a welded in sump under the tank.

#5 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

i use the adaptor made for the factory ac mechanical pump made Robbie Madden OZ NOS,..my early headed 355 factory 3/8 fuel line (L34) was making 460hp,..my friend runs the same fuel pump 355 vn headed making 580hp carby,..i just hate the sound of electric fuels ...

#6 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

Rexy, do you have a build thread or any pics of the fuel pump.  Would be keen to see exactly where/how you mounted it.  Cheers Ron

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Agree with unclefesta - mechanical pump all the way! I know several people with serious 10 second cars - still using a single mechanical fuel pump. No wiring, no noise, no mounting problems, no clearance problems, no heat-soak issues, no stuffing around with swirl pots, lift pumps, return lines, regulators etc...

It's easy for Chev engines - we're spoilt for choice, but as mentioned above, there are still options for Holden engines too.

Not bagging out electric pumps - great setup too, just more stuffing around to install, and I believe a lot more prone to failure (not to mention the noise of course).

#8 matty

matty

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX Hatch

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

Im going back to the mechanical pump. 

#9 _LXT333_

_LXT333_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

http://www.ozrace.com/new1.html

This the one?
Took me a little while to find.

I got a Holley blue bolted up under the diff tunnel.
Makes a lot of noise.
Was thinking of getting one of these welded into the tank.
https://www.aeroflow...sumps/af85-1000

#10 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

If you go a swirl pot, even a smallish one, there is no need for the unsightly sump that is often added to the underside of standard tanks, and drop tanks for that matter.

A Carter Black with a reg out the front, or better still as a bypass system, is probably enough to feed it happily, and you wont have the potential unreliability of the dreaded Holley Blue/Red or noise etc  

#11 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

I fitted a phantom into the stock tank on the driver side, piece of cake. Basically has its own swirl tank.

https://www.google.c...tank fuel pump 

#12 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

In tank pumps are the way to go, quieter, and the good ones come with there own swirl pot. I have a half inch lines, and the biggest issue is the fuel getting recirculated around, gets super heated. You can hear the fuel boiling like a kettle in the tank after a cruise. Thinking of changing my set up to the new Holley duel pump setup that has one small and large pump. The large pump only kicks in on high demand, so your not pushing around large volumes of fuel when just cruising.

#13 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

My car is set up the same way, the twin dominator pump (think its a 12-1400) comes into play when the engine is above 5000RPM and off below 4000RPM, saves noise, saves heating, and leaves me with a spare pump that can be called into play if the main one fails for some reason.

One of those in tank efi/swirl pot pumps mentioned above would be the go.

Edited by mick_in_oz, 21 June 2018 - 07:31 PM.

#14 _Jenko_

_Jenko_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

I fitted a phantom into the stock tank on the driver side, piece of cake. Basically has its own swirl tank.

https://www.google.c...tank fuel pump

How did go you installing this in regards to the depth of the tank. I was under the impression these needed about 20mm extra depth to fit.

Edited by Jenko, 24 June 2018 - 09:18 PM.

#15 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

Rexy, do you have a build thread or any pics of the fuel pump.  Would be keen to see exactly where/how you mounted it.  Cheers Ron

Sorry for the delay. Finally got a chance to crawl under the car.

Attached File  73D45308-3827-42BF-8405-30D83667566C.jpeg   99.38K   5 downloads

It’s mounted just in front and above the diff on the drivers side. Inside the upper control arm mount and not far from the exhaust hanger.

Attached File  18057C65-5E09-4656-B990-0EA678569E33.jpeg   88.31K   4 downloads

Yellow arrow is pointing to the exhaust hanger. O= drivers side. I= centre of car.

Is it noisy? Yes.
Is it reliable? 10 years, no problem.
Is it cheap and easy to install? Sure is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users