grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

So are the bendix shoes any good, or only rebonded shoes ?

#27 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

So are the bendix shoes any good, or only rebonded shoes ?

I have not seen the Bendix brand shoes so can't comment, however, the Protex rear shoes that were thrust upon me by the brake shop (because they took it upon themselves to order in the Protex parts rather than reline my shoes as requested) were rubbish IMO. The thickness of the metal used in the construction of the shoe was considerably thinner than the original shoes.

I gave them back the Protex wheel cylinders that I didn't ask for as well. I requested repair kits for my original (S/Steel sleeved) wheel cylinders.

The other thing that got under my skin was seeing on the boxes 'Made in China'.

I'm getting really really tired of seeing 'MADE IN frOckING CHINA' on almost everything we buy.

end of rant.

#28 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

You're preaching to the choir on most of the made in china stuff to me Dave, let me assure you of that. I looked at the bendix & ponded getting them & storing them till refit time. I also plan to s/s sleeve the original wheel cylinders ect. What's the recommended brand of seals for them, i got pbr for the calipers + a spare set. I don't like to buy parts, only to find that they weren't good enough quality & have to re buy again. Does anyone know what the part number for the booster (xu1) rebuild kit is & what's the best brand to buy of them nowadays ? Gary.

#29 Sandman 71

Sandman 71

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Sandy.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

LC/LJ didn't get a proportioning valve. The little block with the switch is essentially a junction block.

The idea of the small diameter rear cylinders was to reduce rear lock-up.

They worked quite well, the ratio of front piston to rear must be fairly close. 

Dr Terry

Hello Dr Terry,

Sorry for my in-correct description as you have correctly pointed out. It is not a proportion valve, merely a simple junction block with a switch.

I only spoke of it as a proportion valve as the majority of people either call it that or think of it as that​.

S Pack,

I am currently repairing a friends 3/71 GTR with disc brake front ( standard fitment on GTR), and it has the pin style rear brake set-up (as I pictured earlier) with the correct junction block to suit.

This set-up works well without any issue's. I am unsure when or why this has been done in the past as it would definitely not be factory fitted.

The car was set-up for hill climbs some 15 years ago, so not sure what extra advantage they would have had. 

I will also post a picture of the two styles of junction valves for all to see and understand my above comments. 

#30 Sandman 71

Sandman 71

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Sandy.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:41 PM

Top one is for disc brake front set-up with the flat end wheel cylinders.
Bottom one is for drum brake front set-up with the pin type wheel cylinders.

Attached Files

#31 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

Top one is for disc brake front set-up with the flat end wheel cylinders.
Bottom one is for drum brake front set-up with the pin type wheel cylinders.

Agree. Bottom item is a Proportioning Valve which would definitely be needed if using the rear drum brake wheel cylinders to suit with front drum brakes on a car with disc front brakes.

#32 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

So I assembled my rear brakes after having springs and adjusters zinc plated ,shoes rebonded and drums skimmed and new cylinders ,I'm happy with the result so far ,thanks for all the helpful advise .cheers Paul.

Attached Files

Edited by Indy Orange, 06 September 2018 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users