292 Chev Inline 6 or 250 Chev Inline 6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Just curious to know people's thoughts only those in the know please. I'm Considering putting one of these in a lj torana. Has any one had first hand experience with one of these engine transplants. Will they fit without cut and shut? What alterations may be needed to driveline etc. I'm aware of one of these engines running a 9.48 quarter mile back in the 90's fitted in a lj torana. Search function came up blank. Looking forward to some informative feedback.

Cheers Rick

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:30 PM

https://www.google.c...iw=1219&bih=842

#3 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

https://www.google.c...iw=1219&bih=842

Thanks ROB

I've done some measurements and at present my 186 from back of block to face of radiator is 800mm and it's positioned quite close to the firewall already(back of rocker cover has minimal clearance) The length of the 292 chev from back of block to water pump pulley no fan is 815mm . So definitely requires firewall modifications. The other issue is height clearance the 186 from sump to top of rocker cover is 620mm. The 292 Chev is 670mm. Also another note the rocker cover length on a 186 is 620mm on a 292 Chev it's 680mm. Some food for thought. I know of a na 292 chev that produced 500 hp. I just don't know if I can be bothered with all the mods required when I already have the 186 stroker strata turbo producing approx 400hp and is already set up and plumbed in. That said I am an advocate for N/A engines.

Cheers Rick

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

Get that 400 HP 186 up and running i wanna hear it rev it tits off

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:36 PM

Scroll through those posts Rick, I'm pretty sure someone has done/tried this?

#6 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

Scroll through those posts Rick, I'm pretty sure someone has done/tried this?

I've had a quick read ROB. My engine builder did this in the 1990's in an lj torana . He sold it and I think it went to SA. It ran a 9.48 quarter so pretty quick for an inline six na.
It did require a bonnet scoop mod etc.

Cheers Rick

#7 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:31 AM

Get that 400 HP 186 up and running i wanna hear it rev it tits off

It'll be pretty similar to this Gene

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=f5XvR7X-InQ

#8 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

But this sounds so much better or you could say that's Bad Ass

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=4Uw9GcsuLp0

I like this things could get a bit messy lol

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Pg8jBMh-hik

#9 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

I've had a quick read ROB. My engine builder did this in the 1990's in an lj torana . He sold it and I think it went to SA. It ran a 9.48 quarter so pretty quick for an inline six na.
It did require a bonnet scoop mod etc.

Cheers Rick

Rod Rainford did this in the 90s. A few others have done it also and from memory the common issue was the front of the rocker cover sits proud of the bonnet (a hole needs to be cut to clear the front of the donk). Not sure what firewall mods are needed but some massaging may be enough. A few have done this with 265s as well. 

Just be mindful that the 250 and 292 chevs will still need a fair bit of tickling to perform to their potential, but the fellas in Brazil (I think) are the experts with the chev 6... those boys are getting great power from NA donks. I would definately be looking abroad for advice on the chev 6s- although Rod should be able to sort you out as well. A good 292 can make in excess of 500hp if the good bits are used (50mm webers, duggan head or equivalent etc). 

#10 _WM-E3_

_WM-E3_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Rod Rainford did this in the 90s. A few others have done it also and from memory the common issue was the front of the rocker cover sits proud of the bonnet (a hole needs to be cut to clear the front of the donk). Not sure what firewall mods are needed but some massaging may be enough. A few have done this with 265s as well. 

Just be mindful that the 250 and 292 chevs will still need a fair bit of tickling to perform to their potential, but the fellas in Brazil (I think) are the experts with the chev 6... those boys are getting great power from NA donks. I would definately be looking abroad for advice on the chev 6s- although Rod should be able to sort you out as well. A good 292 can make in excess of 500hp if the good bits are used (50mm webers, duggan head or equivalent etc). 

Yes I worked all the measurements out and came up significantly short . 500+ hp very achievable I was advised on what was needed to achieve this and a Sissell alloy head was one of the components along with custom fuel injection.

I'll be just sticking with the 186 stroker turbo I'll get Rod to work a little more magic I just hope he got around to this

I am thinking of producing a killer cylinder head at a reasonable price to suit the red motor Holden 186-202.
How many would be interested?
I would like some feed back on what you would like to see incorporated into a cylinder head. I have my own ideas but I think it would be wise to research it first.
So, off you go, have a think about it and let me know please.
Rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users