Triple 2" SU Carbies off Jaguar 4.2 for hot Holden 6 ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _HDT5308_

_HDT5308_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hi Guys

Just wondered wether the triple 2" SU carbies from a Jag 4.2L are suitable for a hot Holden 6?
What performance  manifolds would suit as the head is a Yella Terra Bathurst 12000 and wondered if there was a standard manifold that would suit the 2" SU'S?

Cheers 

#2 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

They work very well on my car, which is a 202 LJ XU1 with a motor built by Ian Tate. You need to check if the fuel bowls are at 90deg to the throats before you decide on a manifold. I have a Lynx manifold originally intended for 1/3/4 carbs and it requires 15 degree bowls to suit, but using this manifold you gain plenty of clearance for battery and air filters  and also this manifold is somewhat longer than a GMH manifold which is helpful for better torque lower in the range if you are running a big cam like my motor has. My carbs are ex E Type Jag so probably similar to what you are looking at. Make sure you set up a choke arrangement to ALL 3 carbs otherwise you will never start the bugger.

#3 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Armours or Seton manifolds will suit the 2" SU.

#4 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

Do you have a set already or just asking before you commit?
There are a few things to be mindful of.
Finding a set already on a Seton or Armours would be ideal, otherwise hard to find. Armours can be bought new still I think.
I looked at hogging out a lynx mani for a spare set that I had but I didn't think there was enough meat on it to be able to open it up to the full 2 inches to match.

#5 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

Ian Tate supplied my Lynx manifold ported to suit. Seems to work quite well for me.

#6 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

As others have said, seton manifold or armours are ideal- they work well on most wrm to hot 202s... the longer tubes give great torque with 2 inch SUs. 

I run triple 2 inch SUs from a jag on a seton manifold and they are very good. I ran webers for a few years and lets just say at this stage I am in no real hurry to re fit the webers- the SUs on the seton give great torque in the midrange (between 2500- 6500rpm they are excellent. Shorter manifold like a linx would do well also, but I havent run one so cant confirm categorically. 

I have a steel Seton prototype manifold hanging in my shed- one day ill give it a try... its longer than my cast seton... 

Most manifolds will need to be opened up a little to suit the 2 inch SUs... I think some CAIN manifolds may have been cast specifically to suit 2 inch SUs but theyre hard to find, and I think the cain is a little on the short side for most warm street 202s. They may be ok on a higher rpm application though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users