jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Car:hatch

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

lads, ladies

now as i can see this topic has been done to death but i have been through the topics and cant find a solid answer that answers all of my queries on combination

i will be fitting to a flared torana hatch (see pic below)

looking to try and put a combo together but cant square away the details, hoping someone has the knowledge to help me with this

i like the these street pros (link below) and i also want to purchase a hopper stoppers kit and tyres

now i have purchased nothing of the below so far all i have is the hatch with flares and standard front end setup -not in car 

questions....what combo

1- what front back space to fit under the front of a flared and guard cut hatchback torana in conjunction with the hoppers ?

2- will these even rims fit with hoppers kit? then

3- what kit or kit combo to put together from hopper stoppers to match? or vise versa?

4- what tyre to fit? thinking maybe 225/50

5- what am i missing (prob something i dont know or factored in)

i am open to all combos, please help me and put a package together so i can buy with some confidence  

thanks 

https://outlawspeed....tp002-158002-bk

7leArsEm.jpg

#2 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:05 PM

no one out there with the winning combo?

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

questions....what combo

1- what front back space to fit under the front of a flared and guard cut hatchback torana in conjunction with the hoppers ?

3- what kit or kit combo to put together from hopper stoppers to match? or vise versa?

2. download the clearance specs from hoppers site and check with the manufacturer

Can't help on the rest... as I genuinely have no idea

Have you thought about maybe contacting Stan at Wheelmods for a proper vehicle measure ?

Or at least give him a call

He's a bit of a Torana guy and been doing this for 30+ years (he's an old bastard like me)

He should know what will and won't fit

However... diff length and guard clearances from poor manufacturing/quality control 40 years ago will mean a measure is the safest way

#4 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

questions....what combo

2. download the clearance specs from hoppers site and check with the manufacturer

Can't help on the rest... as I genuinely have no idea

Have you thought about maybe contacting Stan at Wheelmods for a proper vehicle measure ?

Or at least give him a call

He's a bit of a Torana guy and been doing this for 30+ years (he's an old bastard like me)

He should know what will and won't fit

However... diff length and guard clearances from poor manufacturing/quality control 40 years ago will mean a measure is the safest way

no i had not thought about contacting, did not know about him (old bastards are full of info -sometimes useless but mostly useful) cheers datto for a bit of direction

still would love someone to chime in with the perfect combo and solve the world issues

is 5 inch the standard back space for the front @ 8inch rims?

i spose that is the spot to start..

cheers

Edited by jonesy, 30 July 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Sorry Jonesy, I can't help you as my hatch is unflared.  What I did though, was buy one off those wheel clearance tools, pretty cheap, and used it to get close to what I could achieve.  BTW I am/will run 17 inch rims with a hoppers kit.. Cheers Ron

#6 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

what backspace ron?

#7 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

I have the UPC 287 brake setup (same as the Hoppers kit of the same size) and ran a 235/40/17 on a 17 x 8.5 rim with 5.25 inch backspace. It required some clearance work to fit. Now has 17 x 8 with 4 inch backspace which really limits tyre height before hitting things. This is on a flared hatch.

You haven’t mentioned what diameter wheel you want to run. If you run 15 inch or smaller you may run into clearance issues with the upper ball joint at more than 4.25 inch backspace. The replacement style ball joints with the flat top help in this regard.

A 15 inch original Hotwire will clear the UPC 287. A weld draglite will not from personal experience. I think I also trialled a convo pro but can’t remember for sure if it cleared or not.

#8 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:56 AM

hey rexy thanks for the reply, from memory yours is real low on the front too isnt it?

15s will be the go. 10 on the back 8s on the front i think i have settled on in the region of  ----- (15x10 Holden Chevrolet Bolt Circle 5 x 4.75" 4.5" Back Space-- ) backspacing in the rear for a go and cant work out where to start in the front  - 

-15x8.5 Holden Chevrolet Bolt Circle 5 x 4.75" 3.5" Back Space

or

15x8.5 Holden Chevrolet Bolt Circle 5 x 4.75" 5.0" Back Space

also looked into the upc kits they look alright cash wise and are comparable in quality do they require the stubs to be switched?

Edited by jonesy, 31 July 2018 - 02:57 AM.

#9 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

found your thread you can cancel the stub swap question

http://www.gmh-toran...it-to-lx-hatch/

Edited by jonesy, 31 July 2018 - 05:38 AM.

#10 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

Jonesy, this will sound a bit tame for you guys with flares but mine is, 17 X 8 on the rear with 245 x 40 tyres. 4.5 inch backspace, on a shortened 9 inch diff. 17 X 7 on the front with 215 X 40 tyres. 4.25 backspace.  I had to cut and move the front of the outside guard forward at the front to alleviate rubbing on turning.  Running Hoppers 290mm kit. Cheers Ron

#11 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

Jonesy, On my white SS the fronts 14 x 10 hotwires are 4.75 backspace and just touch on the upper control arm. I run a 3mm spacer to get clearance. That is with a HX hub assembly on a torana spindle. I would like to one day find some 15 x 10's and run on the fronts to match up with the backs but then tyres are an issue to find a profile that will work.
I have some photos of the Negus A9X taken at Whiteman Park of the control arm clearance and that runs 15 x 10 hotwires but not sure of the back space but at a guess it may be 4.5 inch.

Attached Files

Edited by CI 0308, 31 July 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#12 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

Well guys thanks for the replies it looks like the 4 1/2 - 5 inch backspace for the front seems to be a starting point. Wow 15x10 on the front that's a path I didn't think about going down would look quite good though.. once you got some rubber to fill that out it could be a little bit tight on the steering but Somebody's got to do it.
And to cook I don't think it's tame whatever fills out the Wheel Arches is a win in my eyes.
Contacted some companies today that sell the street pros, waiting for some specs to come back. Once I get them I will post them for assessment. Thanks again guys I appreciate the info all heading towards the right decision I hope.
Once I get a chance I will be following up dattos lead as well.

Thanks again
Jonesy

Edited by jonesy, 31 July 2018 - 11:39 PM.

#13 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:30 PM

ok, for future ref, the upc torana lh lx uc -287mm kit requires 324mm inside a rim to be fitted,  322mm is the actual size of disk with caliper fitted (according to tony at upc) - but i will confirm once delivery has been completed as i have ordered one of these kits (thanks for the steer in upc direction rexy) 

please see below pics for rim internals for the 15x8.5 with 5' back spacing of the street pro II , these were supplied by the guys at engine parts Australia 

EJhU9LIl.jpg

qvBBffJl.jpg

UcvSh90l.jpg

Edited by jonesy, 10 August 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#14 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:23 AM

another question,

i have hear that there may be the possibility of rubbing on the inside fire wall lip under full lock and to stop this people have flattened it, so witch lip are we talking about?

is it this one ?

EnI0GkXl.jpg

or this one ?

cdQBNYdl.jpg

or another one?

has anyone got pics?

cheers

#15 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

The first one you are pointing at. Some hammer it over some cut the lip and weld, all depends on what tyres you are running.

#16 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:57 AM

cheers danny

what Tyre are most putting on the front these days?

Tyre sizes are harder and harder to get a good selection, looking at the bf good 225/60/15 - does anyone run these? do they scrub on flared cut guard toranas? is this where the trimming of the first pic is required?

there are a lot of recommendations for the 225/50/r15 but they are harder to find - does anyone still get these if so what brand are you running?

cheers

Edited by jonesy, 11 August 2018 - 04:59 AM.

#17 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

https://www.gumtree....new-/1069018574

these are out there in 225/50/15 but are they to cheap and nasty?

http://enginepartsau...r.aspx?ID=20314

these too but are they legal here in western aust

Edited by jonesy, 11 August 2018 - 05:29 AM.

#18 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:37 AM

http://www.oldschool...-15-falken-912/

#19 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

these are out there in 225/50/15 but are they to cheap and nasty?

Those 15 x 10 Challenger rims have got me thinking.

Jonesy I might touch base with you at some stage for a catch up as I am keen to pick your brain on one of the repairs you have done, Ill bring my hatch down for a run if ok.

#20 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

215-60-15 on deep 15x7's, and I had to take a LOT more than the lip/seam on the pillar, I cut a bunch out of it and prolly should have taken another 1/4" or so.

Attached Files

#21 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

215-60-15 on deep 15x7's, and I had to take a LOT more than the lip/seam on the pillar, I cut a bunch out of it and prolly should have taken another 1/4" or so.

cheers for the pics guys and the responses, this will help to cut down the amount of things on this project that i will have to do/buy twice -already been hurt with buying the fibreglass scoop and rear 3 piece twice (must have been a friday job for someone)

so your recommendation would be to remove the whole seam from top to bottom, do you think its just the 60 profile that is causing you the issue?

215/60r15 = 25.2"

225/60r15 =25.6"

225/50r15 =23.9"

i think i will be going for the 225/50r15 and shaving the lip from top to bottom.. 50 series looks like it will make a huge diff in the scrubbing dept

does any one out there srub on this seam with an unmodified fire wall as above with the 225/50r15 ?

this looks like to be the option for tyres, the seem to be a bit on the cheap side though?

#22 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

My 15x7's are 3" back space, that's some of the reason they are close to the metal work and the need to remove as much as I did. I'm sure I've seen a few others on here remove a similar amount.

The older wheels tyres, 14x7's with 3" back space,  215-60-14, touched but not badly, with only the lip beaten down but not removed.

#23 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

great info, that makes sense due to the back spacing....still love the deeper dish on the 3 backspacing apposed to the 5

#24 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:07 PM

2uAsYNpl.jpg

#25 fine69

fine69

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Name:Sean Commins
  • Car:1977 Lx sl hatch, 1969 LC S 2 door

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

I emailed UPC and Tony replied saying 15inch Weld draglite would clear the 287mm no problem. That was a few years ago. Got the brakes now I'm about to chase rims.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users