Photo

LH 74 model headlights on permanently ! WTF ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Sounds like it may be switch related.

There are 2 power feeds to the headlight switch.

One is fused, and is used for parkers and pretty sure dash lights.

The one for the dashlights goes back and is fused again from memory, to be used for the dash lights and radio and stuff.

The other is main power, coming directly from the starter, it may go other places first, but it is unfused apart from the fusible link at the starter.

The headlights have an internal overload mechanism which looks after any shorts.

If you disconnect the harness from the switch, and the lights go out, it will be the switch. But again double check that the plug was on properly..

I made a lot of money going to houses replacing fuse wire when the owners said that they had already checked the fuse wire.

Ive also made money going to businesses doing easy things like turning switches on, or turning a tap on to make things work.

Double and triple check the connections.

#27 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

He had mentioned that he disconnected the light switch and the dipper switch from the harness and the lights remained on, along with the High Beam dash light. That can only be due to a short on the High Beam lighting circuit after the dipper switch. Orrrrrrrrr there is a short circuit back up at the dash on the wiring for the High Beam lamp. 

#28 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Correct lights stay on with plugs disconnected.

Also tried another working switch no difference.

At the switch there is constant power at the red wires terminal and the orange wires terminal.

He had mentioned that he disconnected the light switch and the dipper switch from the harness and the lights remained on, along with the High Beam dash light. That can only be due to a short on the High Beam lighting circuit after the dipper switch. Orrrrrrrrr there is a short circuit back up at the dash on the wiring for the High Beam lamp. 

#29 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

Yep so the only way that can happen is a short in the headlight harness from High Beam to a 12v source. 

Or a short on the High Beam light at the dash. 

#30 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Yep so the only way that can happen is a short in the headlight harness from High Beam to a 12v source. 

Or a short on the High Beam light at the dash. 

So am I correct in saying if the short is in the dash, disconnecting dash lights will work normal? For a quick test?

#31 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

I’d just try and un plug the connector on the back of the dash cluster. But that won’t rule out melted wiring somewhere else.

Attached Files

#32 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Will check tonight, wiring is all good at dipper switch on floor, pulling dash apart in the next hour will report back, cheers

#33 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

This was happening to me when I connected everything up for the first time, it ended being the earth wire from the battery to body once I connected it up everything started working as normal

#34 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

Earths are all cleaned and bolted up

Dash is out and still lights on, almost every plug is disconnected and lights are on  :huh:

#35 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hahahahaha. Sorry. Gotta laugh. Maybe someone is geeing you up with a practical joke?

Edited by hanra, 08 August 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#36 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

I have a spare harness, so I connected it to engine harness and headlight harness in engine bay, lights now operate with switch (Parker’s only) but dipper is not hooked up.
I have had a good look at harness in car and can not find any burnt wires or shorts, got me stumped, will take it out for more thorough examination

#37 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

Found the problem, I might be blind because I can’t see it but I changed fuse panel and everything is back to normal.

Attached Files

#38 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

Glad you solved it, for what is a relatively simple electrical system there was no clear indicator

#39 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

To be honest, I reckon one of my first suggestions may have been on the money.

The 4 terminals in the middle are power in.

If the plug there was in the wrong spot, it would probably have back fed power into the light switch where it shouldnt have been.

Very easy thing to do especially if you are in a contorsionist position under the dash.

Or mayber even the plug was upside down.

I dont like it when things fix themselves without having found an obvious cause.

#40 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

I just cant see how an incorrectly located plug on the fuse panel could cause it, as when the dipper switch is removed from the cct, the only source of power is via the high beam lamp in the dash. But even still, how could that be getting fed with power from an incorrectly located plug on the fuse panel? So even if power was being supplied to a pin of the lighting switch that shouldnt have been, once that dipper switch was removed from the circuit, its all open.... 

Glad its fixed but I think someone was geeing you up. 

Edited by hanra, 09 August 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#41 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

I did all the changing over myself, nothing was plugged in wrong, I can swap the fuse panel back over and the problem follows the original fuse panel.

No gee up bud, my time is valuable and I know others peoples time is too, I don’t like wasting anyone’s time.

I just cant see how an incorrectly located plug on the fuse panel could cause it, as when the dipper switch is removed from the cct, the only source of power is via the high beam lamp in the dash. But even still, how could that be getting fed with power from an incorrectly located plug on the fuse panel? So even if power was being supplied to a pin of the lighting switch that shouldnt have been, once that dipper switch was removed from the circuit, its all open....

Glad its fixed but I think someone was geeing you up.

#42 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

That's really odd because the positive to the light switch isn't fused

#43 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

Fuse panel has a short somewhere in the centre connector spades by the sounds of it.

Weird.

Any signs of heat damage?

#44 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

Still dosnt explain when the dipper switch and head light switch was removed, the lights still remained on..... 

#45 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

hmm...good you found a cause mate, but I reckon you haven't found the real issue just yet.?

As Hanra says, there must be a short in the High Beam circuit, maybe at the dash....and maybe you disturbed it when swapping the fuse panel? 

An interesting one...assume the wiring is 100% factory?...no additional wiring/relays for driving lights etc?

When the headlights were on, were they on FULLY, or just a dull glow?  Did yo notice if the tail lights were also on?

Did you ever 100% determine that is does not have a LX style headlight relay?

Understand if you have lost interest now that it is working.

#46 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

hmm...good you found a cause mate, but I reckon you haven't found the real issue just yet.?

As Hanra says, there must be a short in the High Beam circuit, maybe at the dash....and maybe you disturbed it when swapping the fuse panel?  Problem was there with dash in and out

An interesting one...assume the wiring is 100% factory?...no additional wiring/relays for driving lights etc? Factory 74 LH wiring, no driving lamps etc, only thing I have done is the wiring mod for Electronic ignition 12v, but I did that 12 years ago, this problem only started recently

When the headlights were on, were they on FULLY, or just a dull glow?  Did yo notice if the tail lights were also on? Fully on High Beam

Did you ever 100% determine that is does not have a LX style headlight relay? Nothing LX on this car

Understand if you have lost interest now that it is working. Nope I just hope the problem is fixed and that its not going to burn something out again later on

Cheers

Still dosnt explain when the dipper switch and head light switch was removed, the lights still remained on..... 

Im even more confused because Ive got minimal knowledge on wiring, so thinking about it is giving me a headache :)

That's really odd because the positive to the light switch isn't fused

I cant see any damage, the pic of the back of fuse panel is above on this page

#47 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Now it gets even better.

Today out of nowhere the horn stays on, if I disconnect horn (at horn end) you can hear the relay clicking.

Is this coincedence or something snowballing?

#48 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

So sounds like you have a short in the headlight loom that runs down the drivers side inner wing or under Dash loom.

Edited by mugginz, 18 August 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#49 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

Its so weird, one day things working then the next day its not working. Im really testing my patience

#50 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

My guess is the fuse panel was not the fix for your original problem. Bit the horn relay needs a ground for it to activate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users