ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:44 AM

Drilling broken studs out could be a challenge.

Apply some WD40, CRC, Penetrene or even some good old diesel around the studs and let it soak in for a while before you try to extract any more.

Unfortunately, the tail lights were re-chromed and is around the base of the stubs, welding them to the casing, particularly the drivers side light where three studs broke off. I will have to get four holes drilled and tapped. I could take it on, but would rather pay a shop to do it.

#27 bat 53

bat 53

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Name:albert
  • Car:lc gtr

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

if you clean the area then weld a nut on the the broken thread 

the heat will loosen it then wind it out 

#28 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:31 PM

After consulting with a metal guy today, I now know why I have had so much trouble with this. My tail lights were sent off to be re-chromed (by paint shop). Somebody should have removed the threaded inserts. As re-chroming involves a process where previous plating is removed, the zinc plating on the threaded inserts was also removed. Later, back at the paint shop, somebody must have realized that the original nuts did nothing, so fitted the tail lights without securing the two halves together, then mounted to chassis with these tin-plate nuts.

Four of the inserts have busted off and will have to be drilled out. Nothing to weld to. What fun. If the tail lights had sealant put around them in the first place, I probably would never had known.  Has any other poor barstard had to drill the threaded bit out of their LC tail lights?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users