Play in steering uni's

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

So trying to eliminate all play in my steering system as have to pass pits soon...

I found my rag joint coupler had split and allowed alot of play in the steering so decided to do the double knuckle conversion.

bought a brand new knuckle from rare spares and fitted it today, Thinking sweet job done tested the steering and there was still about 10mm of slop at the steering wheel?!

Got the missus to turn the wheel back and forth and could see the play is in the new knuckle!!

So I dis-assembled the whole lot again, stuck the knuckle in the vice and some vice grips on the other end and sure enough there is some play there, its a bee's dick but 0.5mm play at that small radius results in alot at the steering wheel.

I pulled off the second knuckle which afaik is original to the car and checked it in the vice, it does have a tiny amount of play in it but id say not as much as the new one.

So my question is do all knuckles have some play? did I get a dud from rare spares or are all rare spares ones like that?

Am I being pedantic and everyones Torana has about 10mm of play measured at the steering wheel (14")

Is there a source of knuckles that have 0 play??

Thanks

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi Clint

I don't think you are being pedantic. I believe 10mm of free play (rock back & forth in the straight ahead position) at the steering wheel is unacceptable for a car with rack & pinion steering.

#3 dron

dron

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Name:Darren
  • Car:UC
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

All joints have some clearance, without it ther would be tight to turn and probaly lock up.  I thought that the rag coupling was part of thr ADR requiarments, the mod may improve the feel of the steering but if the inspector is switched on you may not pass.

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Probably the new knuckles as I did same thing replaced 2 lh knuckles on v8 lc with rare spares item when they became available.

They had a touch more play in them than factory items but main issue was cotter pins softer material caused the extra play...refitted factory lh items(less freeplay)

Might be a thread on it somewhere as remember others had similar issue.

#5 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

10mm movement on the outer diameter of the steering wheel is bugger all.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

10mm movement on the outer diameter of the steering wheel is bugger all.

If you bought a new car and it had 10mm free play at the steering wheel would you take it back to the dealer and complain?

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

I don't believe uni's "need" some clearance, well maybe a TINY bit but uni joints on tail shafts have near 0 play and the Original steering joint has about half the play of the rare spares one and is still very smooth to articulate so it can definitely be better.

My R32 GTR has 3 uni's in the steering and has 0 play in the steering.

I know if I take it to the pits one of the tests they do is move the steering wheel and feel for play and this is very noticeable. I know deleting the rag joint is technically illegal but ive been through 3 flexible joints, 2 rag and 1 nolathane and my extractors are ceramic coated and not even that close a. Id prefer to hope he doesn't specifically look for a flex joint (as you would have to specifically look for it to notice) and have tight steering rather then take a car in with slop in the steering.

Im not all that confident in getting better joint from rare spares although I will contact them so I guess my options are look for a good condition original one or see if I can get an aftermarket one that suits.

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

After abit of a look there is heaps available but standard torana is 9/16" shafts, smooth with a flat machined to suit the cotter pins.

Aftermarket only seems to have splined 9/16" uni's availiable :(  Flaming river, Borgeson etc.

I wonder if one of these would work (9/16 splined) as they do have the locking bolt, If I ground the end off flat, maybe even drilled and tapped it to a larger size would that work with the stock shafts.. Well im pretty sure it would work but not sure it would be secure enough.

Attached File  uni joint.jpg   290.52K   9 downloads

Edited by Viper, 19 August 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

Found one

https://www.enginema...-joint-holden-t

close to the same price as rare spares one!

Edited by Viper, 19 August 2018 - 11:22 AM.

#10 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Looks good, I'm keen to hear how it feels compared to the rares one.

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

I'll be keen to see how the end result goes.  I was wondering if you would need to shorten the shaft to get the same overall length.  Cheers Ron

#12 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

Borgeson do a direct replacement for Torana, yes it uses cotter pins, no it doesn't have any slop, or at least mine don't.

I can't remember where I bought mine, was a few years ago, but I don't remember them being this much money.

https://www.ebay.com...m4383.l4275.c10

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Cheapest one ive found so far:

https://www.ebay.com...oIAAOSw17paxX0m

#14 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

I bought this one and it worked fine. No play anymore. But the uni was just one part of the hunt for no play in the steering. Some existed in the column bearings, but most was in the steering rack. Oh and a tie rod that was worn. I can't find these guys anymore so not sure if someone else sells these.

Attached Files

#15 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

So received the borgeson uni's, quite abit beefier then the original ones, I went with the stainless steel versions.

Attached File  Borgeson uni.jpg   272.9K   16 downloads

Attached File  uni compare.jpg   234.83K   17 downloads

Attached File  unis fitted.jpg   170.74K   17 downloads

Hard to get a photo of them fitted but here you go, went straight on as normal ones and very happy to report I now have no play in the steering!

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

Good work Clint. The thread on the cotter pin looks awful close to the headers?

#17 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

It is close but checked through full rotation and still 10mm clearance min. Could always cut it shorter if your pipes were closer.

#18 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

They look like good bits of gear

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Nice comparison photo.

#20 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

Hi Clint, Just wondering if there was any further update/comment now that the steering coupling has been in the car for a while.  Cheers Ron

#21 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

Hi all.  I'm looking at replacing the original rag joint with a Borgeson uni to reduce any play in the steering (don't know if there is or not yet but suspect there will be) and as important, create some clearance with the extractors.  My question is I have seen some saying applicable for Torana with measurements of 3/4" DD X 9/16" and others 9/16" X 9/16".  Based on what I have read I believe the later is the correct size but (excuse my ignorance) what is the other one and am I right?  Cheers Ron

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

Both ends are identical for factory fitment (9/16"), I'm guessing the one with the 3/4" DD end must be to adapt to aftermarket column or rack while keeping factory parts at the other end.

#23 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for that.  Just wanted to make sure as I have a habit of buying things that don't always fit lol.  Cheers Ron

#24 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Just a follow-up 76lxhatch before I commit to buy.  With original column and shafts I presume the one I need to get is the one with the cotter pins as opposed to the splined end and grub screws.  Next issues is EBay shows a number of both with the same P/N, and nobody close to home where I could just wander in and have a look. Don't you just love it. Cheers Ron

#25 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Yes the factory ones use cotter pins, and there is definitely no spline on the factory shafts.

20150804_201133.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users