39 replies to this topic

#26 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

No one has made any mention of this -  rear guard wheel arch lips are wider/ deeper than the front guard wheel arch lips .

#27 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

True, still 90 degrees on Adelaide built cars ? ? ? ?

Are yours at 90 degrees Kockum ?

Edited by FLY_AGAIN_XU-1, 01 September 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#28 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

Majority of front guard wheel arch lip is 90 , the section above the top of tyre is not .

#29 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

Yep still original guards on front. In fact this car is very very original. Just checked the lips are 90deg or whatever normal cars are, just like your photos. I'm getting confused? Mines a May 72 so can't be a Bathurst anyway from everything I've read?

#30 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:39 PM

Majority of front guard wheel arch lip is 90 , the section above the top of tyre is not .

The panels were all pressed in the same tooling so they were all the same when they arrived at the VAPs.

Edited by S pack, 01 September 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#31 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

That sounds right , may I ask you Dave if your 73 Brisbane beast has full 90 degree rear wheel arch lips and for the front guard lips mostly 90 like mine are ?

#32 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

You are right Dave, the angle of the front wheel arch inner flange becomes acute at the top of the arch. GTR & S/SL front guards are the same.

My rear arch flanges are pretty much 90 deg but my front arch flanges are rolled up because I once tried to run 225/60/13 tyres on the front.

#33 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info Dave , mine had skinny Michelins when I got it in the seventies and have only had skinnies since , so I am confident that both front and rear wheel arch lips are how it left Brisbane .

#34 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hehahe

#35 ZUSE

ZUSE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name:ZUSE
  • Car:GTR TORANA
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

attachicon.gifbrisbane_LI.jpg

Brisbane built cars had the front guards tapped down ( as pictured ) they also had the inner guards rolled to remove any sharp edges. Adelaide built cars did not...........

not to sure this is correct in regards to (front of guards been taped down Brisbane built ) i have now seen 3 x10/70 lc xu1 brisbane with only passenger side taped down any clarification would be great as i am due for paint and have gone with one guard only  

#36 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

Photos of guard lips everyone pretty please :spoton: cheers

#37 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

not to sure this is correct in regards to (front of guards been taped down Brisbane built ) i have now seen 3 x10/70 lc xu1 brisbane with only passenger side taped down any clarification would be great as i am due for paint and have gone with one guard only  

Possible coincidence that all three have had the drivers front guard replaced?

#38 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

C.A.M.S regs for Group C allow for minor fettling of guards in that era, just what is "minor" I suppose was very much open to interpretation  during this period of racing. My XU1 which is September 1972 build and ran in racing during this period has similar treatment to what you have described and has had no objections raised on recent examination for Group C / Heritage cars log book continuations. A car recently sold nearby and very much the real original deal did not have these lips massaged from new, however my car is known to be in the very first small run of the "1973" spec and was earmarked for race use from day one. It might be a case of a little like A Moffs  thin glass and alloy door panels 'ex factory that have only just been fessed up to perhaps?

My LJ Xu-1 is a September bulit car also,I have the same rolled rear lips as yours caterham,and my front guards are the same too,original front guards,and you all read what I wrote up in June 2007,that xu-1 Rat put up again.
I asked peter brock at muscle car masters at eastern creek in august 2006,of what he knew about the rolled lips on the guards,as I was doing a lot of research back then on my car,reading books as many as I could find.
Peter Brock told me that day,I have a race prepared car,he called them track packs ,the only is missing in my car is the roll cage.
I wrote and filled up a 50 page note book,of peter telling me about my car and what too look for and found everything that I wrote down,
I was blown away,he also looked at and showed me other things I never knew about it,and answered and my questions I had for him of my car,was very greatful of his help that day.

Regards John

#39 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:15 AM

3rd Category (Group C) Production Touring Cars

2. Coackwork

(ii) Protrusions, the result of body jointing techniques, may be cleared from the inside of wheel arches by reforming so as to avoid damage to tyres. Panels may not be reformed, nor may any material whatsoever be removed.

Edited by S pack, 15 September 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#40 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:13 PM

3rd Category (Group C) Production Touring Cars

2. Coackwork

(ii) Protrusions, the result of body jointing techniques, may be cleared from the inside of wheel arches by reforming so as to avoid damage to tyres. Panels may not be reformed, nor may any material whatsoever be removed.

Just to clarify ^^^ 1973 & 1974 ^^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users