28 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:26 AM

I only saw this advertised on TV once, so thought I'd mention it here. I'm in NSW but I think the law applies nationwide, you may have to check with other states.

From 1 September 2018 motorists are required to slow down to 40km/h when passing stationary emergency vehicles displaying red or blue flashing lights.

The rule applies to vehicles travelling in both directions, unless the road is divided by a median strip.

Motorists who ignore the new speed limit will face stiff penalties, including a $448 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

Source: https://www.transpor...rom-1-september

Andrew

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:36 AM

Yeah they been bangin on about over here for a while in the media

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:11 AM

Haven't heard anything about this in QLD. People traveling in both directions already slow down for a gander at emergency vehicles so jumping on the anchors to 40kmh in a 100k or 110k zone will just cause more nose to tails.

So a cop pulls over a motorist at the side of a 110km/h posted 8 lane divided motorway and the 4 lanes on that side have to slowdown to 40km/h? That would create a huge traffic jam over the ensuing hour.

Edited by S pack, 01 September 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#4 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:11 AM

Having been an emergency worker, who has had to scramble for safety on more than one occassion, something had to be done.

Unfortunately stupid cant be fixed,

So a blanket ruilng needs to be applied.

Would have personally been happy with traffic going through at 60 or thereabouts, IF they kept their eyes on the road.

Unfortunately lots of drivers just shouldnt be allowed on the roads with their current competency levels.

Hopefully some common sense will be used when applying the new ruling.

If there is little time to see the incident, then an attempt to slow down should be enough.

As long as the driver does his best to not kill a cop firey or ambo, then thats what they want.

Might even make drivers a bit more aware of flashing lights in other scenarios as well.

Apparently a big red truck with flashing red and blue lights, and loud siren and horn is difficult to see.

#5 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

It's 25 km/h past emergency vehicles here in SA. Has been for a couple of years. Also hefty penalties for breaches.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

I've worked my share of roadside accidents over the years and I've done the odd oversize load pilot, and some of the things you see people do would amaze you!

I reckon probably a quarter of drivers under-react, and about another quarter over-react. I'm not sure which is worse but if you create a situation where you have a combination of both types approaching the same scene, that's a recipe for disaster.

My question though is, how are police going to enforce this, will they have an officer on traffic control leave the scene to chase down and book offenders, or will they have extra police sitting at accident scenes to do this, or setup some kind of temporary speed camera?

#7 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

Might just be I there is available law to enforce, might be at the end where police can do no more. Might be cameras in there car/ take your rego for later ?. As Campbell mentioned its 25 KPH in Adelaide for a while. Makes me wonder why they say Adelaide is 20 years behind other states.

^       if

#8 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Interesting only says red or blue flashing lights so I guess RAC patrolmen don't count? Not sure what colour Western Power use think orange and SES workers. Should be all emergency services vehicles/ personnel.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

Interesting only says red or blue flashing lights so I guess RAC patrolmen don't count? Not sure what colour Western Power use think orange and SES workers. Should be all emergency services vehicles/ personnel.

If you're a RAC patrolman or a Towie your expendable. :o

#10 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

110kph to 40kph with traffic & 120 tonne trucks up your arse will make an interesting pile up.

#11 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

I've encountered this situation many times here in SA.

Most of the time it's been initiated by someone getting pulled over just after a speed limit drop from 100 to 80 or 80 to 60. (I.e revenue raising)

In a true emergency situation there is normally a greater presence of emergency personnel etc so people tend to slow down automatically anyway for a squiz:)

#12 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

With the other utility companies they will generally have a traffic control activity already happening.

At crash sites (they arent accidents by the way) traffic control is usually set up as a first priority.

This would primarily be aimed at the cop pulling someone over scenario.

No traffic control. Short duration.

Or the initial stages of a crash scene.

If you speed past the cop in particular, he will have a body camera and a car camera to refer to later.

Will be interesting to see how itt goes. Could also be an easy fine to appeal

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

What did i hear on the news yesterday?

4 hrs into this new Law & a truck plowed into the rear of a car! 

#14 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

One issue here is the exact definition of an 'emergency vehicle'.

Clearly ambulances & firetrucks while flashing their red & blue lights are attending an emergency, but what about a Highway Patrol officer booking someone for a minor traffic offence.

Is this an 'emergency' ? Should he not just use his hazard flashers in this instance.

Look at what could happen on a major traffic route (say 6-lane) in the Sydney metro area. A copper pulls over a guy for say speeding (10 km/h over). The driver stops at the kerb, while the copper does his trick of blocking half the second lane. So now 2 of the 3 lanes are blocked. With the new rules, if he has red/blue lights flashing everybody, both ways, has to slow to 40 km/h for this minor offence.

The traffic on his side of the road is already blocked so nobody is going to be doing over 40, but now the 3 lanes on the other side are slowed for no good reason. As I said, this is hardly an 'emergency service'.

Dr Terry

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

It would seem that in this explanation of the new rule you will have to slow down to 40 for a police vehicle with flashing lights on whilst performing routine traffic duties.

https://www.news.com...84da8bb0968becf

Drivers must keep their speed at 40km/h until they are far enough away from the vehicle to avoid causing danger to anyone in the vicinity.

For example, when passing a fire truck with flashing lights and the driver can see firefighters working on a blaze a few metres up the road, they should maintain a lower speed for longer than if they were just passing a police officer who had pulled over a driver.

Edited by S pack, 03 September 2018 - 01:48 PM.

#16 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

yeah, my understanding is -

Its ANY vehicle with red and blue lights activated i.e. cops, ambos, fireys, RMS vans, SES trucks..

On multilane roads, IF , there is a dividing barrier, ( east vs. west/ north vs suoth etc)......the 40km/h only applies to the side that has the red and blue happening.

#17 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

There is some info re: flashing blue lights to be allocated on all emergency vehicles from 2015 but cut and paste not working.

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

There is some info re: flashing blue lights to be allocated on all emergency vehicles from 2015 but cut and paste not working.

I wonder how long before there will be dedicated speed camera vans equipped with flashing blue lights??? :huh:

#19 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

Not to mention how much these Rats are making from unregistered vehicles. Watching the news yesterday, since not supplying rego stickers there has been a massive jump in unregistered vehicles. Overhead cameras are filling the pockets for the government Rat farms. So you drive to work and get a fine and on the way home you get a fine. Until you remember or your fines come in this will continue. All so the Rats can take there family on a holiday or purchase another property or both. Most people just forget as we were used to looking through the windscreen whilst getting petrol. The no rego sticker was fully introduced to line the pockets of a business ran Rat infested government. If you not sure if you have rego and your approaching these cameras, Find a truck and stick close to the back through these cameras. It worked for me once

#20 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

I get a letter in the mail from RMS saying my rego is coming up.

I then get a letter from the insurance company saying my green slip needs renewal. Which means my rego is coming up.

About a week before my rego is due I get an email and an SMS saying my rego is coming up.

The day after it is due I get an email and an SMS saying my rego is unpaid.

How much notice due you need Ray?

Doesnt SA have these alerts?

#21 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, but you have to ask for them, I don't have this issue myself. I now register my main vehicle yearly a write the expiry date down on the printed document. Its the rise in numbers reported by news. Busy life style seem to be catching a lot of people, Most probably unorganised and some elderly not up to date with technology. They stopped sending these sticker for one purpose only. To make more money

#22 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

It also gets me when they say, We are having to up the fines because it doesn't seem to be getting through ?? WTF really. What about more ads like they do for drink driving. I don't recall seeing an ad yet regards rego reminders (from our gov). Its the RAA and others spreading the word while the greedy rats in Gov watch the numbers whilst rubbing there filthy hands together.

#23 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

Wife got done no rego recently by a fixed camera. Yes the onus is on us to renew, I have no beef with that. However innocent folks like us get caught out when f_cken service sa don't send out our renewal papers which acts as the reminder. This has happened to others also. Conspiracy?
Anyway, lesson learnt.

#24 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

Today driving down the highway today and what appeared to be two cars on the side of the road, worked out to be a charcoal coloured later model dual cab with very dark rear window tint. Two small led red and blue lights flashing. I didn't see a brake light from the six vehicles in front of me. I didn't brake myself until I was 30 metres from these vehicles. It was two lanes going into three lanes and another lane for turning vehicles. Point is there window was nearly black and flashing lights similar to a motor bike size. If I had received a fine, I would have taken it to court, my first question would have been about there tint. Unless it was legal and the inside painted black that vehicle should not be on the road. I would also ask where they got it done and how much ?

#25 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

haha...I think rear window on utes etc can be any darkness..as often nothing can be seen out of the window due to a big load in the back. No different to rear window of a prime mover....thats what my Tint guy said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users