LC Diff bump stops

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Daniel_

_Daniel_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

Currently rebuilding diff ( LC XU1 10/70) and need to install  new diff bump stops.

I have read up on quite a few ways to get these bump stops installed, struggling to get them in, interested to know what method has worked ? Not sure if it makes any difference they are the Rare Spares replacements.

Regards

Dan

Attached Files

#2 gad05

gad05

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Name:Graham
  • Car:73 lj 2 door , 74 lj sedan.

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

Sit them in boiling water, use plenty of grease and lots of patience.
Have fun.
Cheers Graham.

#3 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

I  am  almost  positive  that  these  rubbers  were  fitted  in  reverse  at  the  factory  before  the  plate  was  spot  welded  to  the  diff  housing .

Regards  LC870 .

#4 _Daniel_

_Daniel_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

That's my understanding LC870 as well, but needed to change the old ones as pert of the rebuild as they were RS.

thx

#5 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

That's my understanding LC870 as well, but needed to change the old ones as pert of the rebuild as they were RS.

thx

Hi  Daniel .

I  am  lucky  that  my  bump  stops  were  good  and  did  not  have  to  change  them .

One  thing  that  you  could  try  is  filing  the  rubber  bit  by  bit  until  you  get  a  firm  fitment  and  then  put  a  bead  on  sikaflex  around  the  top  to  hold  in  place .

Regards  LC870 .

#6 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:30 AM

Use a clamp or press to apply downward pressure to the bump stop whilst pushing the sides in and down, kind of like tucking a shirt in. (obviously lubed up first)

If you could find some type of hose clamp where adjuster is offset to the ring section that could help. I don't know if such a thing exists though. Otherwise along the same idea use a hose clamp around a thin gauge metal tube that has a slot to allow for compression and reduction in diameter to compress the outside diameter of the bump stop whilst applying downward pressure.

#7 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:10 PM

I gave up trying
Ended up filing back the rubber to a tight fit. Filled the hole with stika flex and pushed them in. 8 years ago and still there
Cheers

#8 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

We made up a funnel out of pvc tube by heating it up to stretch it out then pushed them in with a g clamp & plenty of lube. A Cunning Stunt of a job.

#9 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

They would not have been put in then spot welded, that would have melted the rubber, if your ass end has been powder coated it will need the rubber sanded down to fit, but you can put it on a angle getting a small pry bar and tap in with rubber lube.

Cheers gong

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

They would not have been put in then spot welded, that would have melted the rubber, if your ass end has been powder coated it will need the rubber sanded down to fit, but you can put it on a angle getting a small pry bar and tap in with rubber lube.

Cheers gong

Spare part bare diff housings were supplied without the bump rubbers.

Pretty much how I installed mine John, plenty of lube and a couple of flat blade screwdrivers.

#11 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

As above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users