#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hi all.  I have upgraded the rear brakes to commodore disc and fitted up a new hand brake cable.  All fits alright except that it rubs on the body, and I haven't even got any tension on it yet.  I can't seem to find any info/pics on the original cables (save for the parts catalogue) but believe it is fitted up correctly.  Did the original bracket that connects the rear sections to the front section come with a sleeve or something?  Here's a pic, not very good but you can see what I mean. Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#2 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:20 PM

I have Commodore brakes and mine do the same
Not sure but I think the original cables also rubbed there but it has been too many years to remember correctly

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Tom.  At least the commodore cables have a covering from memory.  The middle section of the ones I bought are bare cable.  Anyone know if you can by a sleeve to go over them?Cheers Ron

#4 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:26 PM

Hey Ron, Have you thought about a diversion threaded hook / tension spring bolted like the WB ? will also help with adjustment. Rainman

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:07 AM

They all rub on the floor pan. Some sort of heavy duty plastic rub strip that sticks to the floor pan might be nice to reduce wear over time.

#6 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for that.  At least I know I have it right.  Now to deal with how to prevent the wear and tear.  Cheers Ron

#7 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:31 PM

Just a thought, Maybe clear silicone fisht tank tubing from hardware as it's available with different I/D & some P clips...

Edited by WhaleOilBeefHooked, 10 October 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Andrew.  I've been a bit sidetracked with other bits and pieces but will keep that in mind.  I am also going to have a chat with my brake guy as I think there is sufficient length in the lines to cut the end joint off and side a sleeve over it, and re-joint the end.  Still a bit surprising that this is how they came out of the factory.  Cheers Ron

#9 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

The real issue isn't the rubbing against the floor, the issue is that the new cable isn't coated like the original and as a result is lots less suitable for the original installation style.

Personally I'd be hitting up the brake guy to remake the cable with the correct coated cable.

#10 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Mick.  I bought the cables as a pack from either Rares or resto's, just can't recall which one.  So was the original coated with a plastic type sleeve or like the commodore cables with a "metal" wrapping?  Cheers Ron

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

For anyone interested the cables I bought were long enough to allow me to get the ball end cut off and a sleeve added.  I then ran some thrink wrap tubing over them (more for looks than anything).  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#12 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

Here's an update and further issue for anyone interested.  Now that I have the tailshaft in I find that the front end of the cable is virtually touching the tailshaft (or will be when I tension it up a bit). I believe the engine is mounted correctly so not looking to adjust angle of that.  Trans is T400 and tailshaft is 2.5" which I presume is why the reduction in clearance presents itself.  The diff is 9" but standard mounting brackets and trailing arms. I thought about fixing a bracket to pickup one side of the cable and keep it held lower but realised the cable needs to travel front to back when engaged. So thinking about making a bracket to pick-up the threaded joiner rod (via P clamp?) and hold it down.  Just need to use a clamp big enough to allow it to move as well.  Apart from that what have other people encountered and used for clearance.  Bearing in mind I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel so to speak.  Cheers Ron   

Attached Files

#13 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

I made myself a couple of mounts for the cables that keeps them well clear of anything important. I think I bolted them to the floor pan in the unused seat mounting holes or similar. 

Edited by rexy, 12 September 2020 - 08:35 PM.

#14 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Rexy. I think it will end up being something like that.  Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users