L32LX Hatch

L32 Hatch Animal LX Torana

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

Ive finally found the one . A matching numbers 253 V8 , 4 speed manual LX Torana Hatchback . We picked it up a couple of weeks ago , its been parked up for about 15 to 20 years .

20180927_151340.jpg

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:52 PM

Awesome pick up

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

good score!

#4 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

Thanks guys , theres a bit of work to do to get it back on the road . But it'll be enjoyable work .

#5 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

Ok so i was told by the previous owner that the tanks fuel sender was playing up . One of the jobs once i got it home was to drop the tank and have a look . Question is with replacement senders available are prior to Adr27a only , I'd assume that the sender requires a second pipe for the fuel return ?
Having removed all parts from the tank it looks like at some stage may have already been changed to a single outlet . I still have the charcoal canister that was plumbed up above the tank on the passenger side . Have people made this gear redundant or clean it all up and re install it ?

20181001_200530.jpg

20181004_141908.jpg

Resized_20181008_124638_9428.jpeg

#6 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

Made in Australia , ya d ont see that much anymore .

20181008_164524.jpg

20181008_164524.jpg

#7 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

No return lines to the tank, only the outlet, and the others are all breather lines, the bit above the tank on the passenger side is a breather or vapour manifold I guess, and it has a line that runs up the front to the charcoal canister that's behind the drivers headlight.

Did it come with the window trim?

#8 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

No return lines to the tank, only the outlet, and the others are all breather lines, the bit above the tank on the passenger side is a breather or vapour manifold I guess, and it has a line that runs up the front to the charcoal canister that's behind the drivers headlight.

Did it come with the window trim?

#9 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Yes came with all window trim . Only things its missing is radio , woodgrain ashtray and a couple of smaller switch covers . Other than that everthing seems to be there .

20180928_085225.jpg

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

A/C too...nice

#11 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

Nice buy! Not sure what you paid or how long you were looking but compared to most you'll save yourself so much work, time and money looking for missing bits. No doubt there will be plenty of enjoyable work fixing stuff. What are your plans for it? Just repairs and preservation, rolling restoration, full tear down and restoration, A9X body kit with a 355/Tremec or some other level of everything and a few modifications?

Cheers Steve.

#12 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Steve .I actually gave up looking for a hatch , but said one dsy ill get another torana . Probably a turn key and enjoy . Then through a mate of mine i heard of this one that hadn't be advertised yet . One look at it and a plate and revs check , i just couldn't go past it .
Plans are because its an original matching numbers car , i first want to register it and put it back on the road to enjoy until funds become available. I'd like to do a freshen up the drive train ( original stamped block from 1977 ) while the body is off getting panel and paint . Going back to it original colour of Mint julep Green with SL stripes . I can't bring myself to drill and cut guards or bonnet so body will stay in standard trim . Looking at a possible drop tank of 90ltrs painted black no straps to tie in with the factory look. For the wheels i like the look deep dish Hotwires . It looks like it had a twin exhaust system at some stage as well . Interior will have the factory spec look with maybe a hidden bluetooth stereo head unit somewhere .If anyone can post a pic of a Hatch painted in Mint julep Green that'd be great . Cheers Nige'

20180928_205332.jpg

#13 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

As far as your tank sender goes, half the time taking them out and cleaning them up is enough to get them working. With it out of the tank you can just connect it back up, make sure it has a really good earth connected and move the float up and down to see if it works. 

This is useful write up by Dr Terry

The easiest way to check LH & LX gauges (& yes, they are the same, but UC is different) is to use substitute resistors (or dummy loads) as mention earlier. This works for all 3 gauges on LH/LX, by the way. Go to Jaycar, Dick smith or similar & buy three 1/4W resistors, a 75, 25 & 10 ohm. Just put these, one at a time between the disconnected sender wire & a good earth & switch the ignition on & wait for the gauges to warm-up & stabilise. The 75 ohm will make the gauge read to the empty mark (or cold or low for the temp & oil gauges), the 25 will move the gauge to 1/2 & the 10 ohm to full scale. That's it, if the gauge doesn't do this you have a gauge or voltage reg fault. You can also use these ohm readings with a mulitmeter to check a fuel sender out of the car. AKAIK the current thru the sender is less than 100 mA.

#14 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

Mint Julep:

Mint_Julep_Torana_Sedan_1.jpg

Mint_Julep_Torana_Hatch_2.jpg

#15 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:24 PM

Ill try that out CL O308 . Id say my engine bay that survived the respray Bigfella237 is spot on with those posted pics . Thanks , i think green will grow on me .

20181001_133118.jpg

#16 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:17 AM

Great plan Nige'! It seems the more original the more desirable and valuable these days. A 253 can be built to go pretty well, sound awesome and still look stock on the outside. For me the sound is a big part of the fun factor.

#17 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

Nice buy mate and as Steve said it will make all the right noises. :spoton:

#18 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

Mint Julep:

Mint_Julep_Torana_Sedan_1.jpg

Mint_Julep_Torana_Hatch_2.jpg

It would take me about 10 milli seconds to get used to that mint julep hatch. Beautiful.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

#19 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

Attached File  IMG_0049.JPG   220.3K   11 downloads

You will love the colour.

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:31 AM

Question is with replacement senders available are prior to Adr27a only , I'd assume that the sender requires a second pipe for the fuel return ?

Resized_20181008_124638_9428.jpeg

ADR 27A did not cause a change to the fuel tank sender unit. The same sender is used in all LH & LX sedan & hatchback.

It is the tank unit to suit V8 with factory air con that has an extra vapour return pipe.

Edited by S pack, 12 October 2018 - 06:32 AM.

#21 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

Bahaha ive recently taken a screenshot of your car derrin71 , your right looks the goods .
S pack thanks for that , ive just seplaced all the fuel lines and cleaned up my old tank . Just waiting for the new sender to arrive . As the cars been sitting for years ive decided to change leads and plugs . Problem is the spark plugs seem to be jammed in the block , apart from spaying yeild or crc and applying elbow grease is there anything else i can do to help them come out easier .

20181001_133118.jpg

#22 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

Great find Nige' ....Another survivor hidden away in its tomb waiting to be found & it's seems in some cases that these cars find you.

#23 _Animal_

_Animal_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Great find Nige' ....Another survivor hidden away in its tomb waiting to be found & it's seems in some cases that these cars find you.

Thanks GMH-01X . Yes very happy with my find , just spent a few hrs reading through members builds . Heath's Hatch build just blew me out of the water , and hear i am thinking of how to properly clean out tanks and remove stuck spark plugs bahaha . Some mad skill and out of the box thinking on these forums . Something to work towards on my build might have to start an ideas whiteboard .

#24 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

Thanks GMH-01X . Yes very happy with my find , just spent a few hrs reading through members builds . Heath's Hatch build just blew me out of the water , and hear i am thinking of how to properly clean out tanks and remove stuck spark plugs bahaha . Some mad skill and out of the box thinking on these forums . Something to work towards on my build might have to start an ideas whiteboard .

There's some awesome build threads on here and plenty of info at hand ...Heath has gone above and beyond with his hatchback & it's amazing what he's done.

Cheers Az

#25 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

There's some awesome build threads on here and plenty of info at hand ...Heath has gone above and beyond with his hatchback & it's amazing what he's done.
Cheers Az

Heath is just an freak ✌️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users