MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:14 PM

Ok I guess I'm officially in what I have learned to be the rivet counting camp since buying my LJ XU1 this year, and was cleaning inside my engine bay tonight which I believe is original unmolested cause the black paint  looks too shitty to have been painted at any stage in its life and removed the regulator (I think you call it that) from the inner passenger guard to polish behind it and discovered two types of self tapping screws. Phillips and flat blade self tappers. I'm guessing the original screw would be flat blade screw driver type (not Phillips) but need to confirm this and also there is some black electrical tape wrapped around the base of the regulator which I need to know whether this is factory or whether I can remove it. Have no idea why someone would put it there? mabey to stop it earthing out against the engine bay who knows. Sorry for such petty questions but am trying to keep this car all original.

Attached File  IMG_0533.JPG   34.04K   5 downloadsSorry forgot to add photos

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hi Mark.  Sorry I have no real answer for you but out of curiosity I googled it and came up with a sale on EBAy of LC LJ voltage regulator bolts.  Now these are new but there is a pic in the ad for what appears to be the original screws and both are phillips head.  He also has a pic of the regulator with yellow tape wrapped around the bottom of it.  Sorry I can't copy the link but the seller is 2doorsstore00.  Cheers Ron

#3 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

Yellow tape?? well thats interesting? not sure what conclusion to come to on that because I figured that it was just someone who had wrapped black tape on it for whatever reason? mabey other member/s might be able to shed some light on this phenominon?. thanks for the response Cookey.

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Ok I guess I'm officially in what I have learned to be the rivet counting camp since buying my LJ XU1 this year, and was cleaning inside my engine bay tonight which I believe is original unmolested cause the black paint  looks too shitty to have been painted at any stage in its life and removed the regulator (I think you call it that) from the inner passenger guard to polish behind it and discovered two types of self tapping screws. Phillips and flat blade self tappers. I'm guessing the original screw would be flat blade screw driver type (not Phillips) but need to confirm this and also there is some black electrical tape wrapped around the base of the regulator which I need to know whether this is factory or whether I can remove it. Have no idea why someone would put it there? mabey to stop it earthing out against the engine bay who knows. Sorry for such petty questions but am trying to keep this car all original.
attachicon.gifIMG_0533.JPGSorry forgot to add photos

Original tape is a crapy darker yellow, imagine a little mustard & orange added. It's not really sticky like electrical tape, they are phillips heads originally though. +1 For keeping it original & rivet counting, welcome to the club mate

#5 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

You can see what looks like yellow reminence in your photo mate, under the bottom of the black tape !

#6 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Mark, here's a pic from the EBay ad.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

Edited by Cook, 09 October 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#7 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Ok so shitty yellow its supposed to be and I came close to ripping it off even though it looks black. Thanks to those who replied. I'm glad I asked because I would have thought it was a flat blade self tapper instead of phillips screw.

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:34 PM

Black tape would have been from an auto-elec having a fiddle at some point I reckon. Mine still has original yellow tape.

#9 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yep "shity yellow" will be it's official new colour description, it seals the cover, to the bottom half basically.

#10 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

Pretty sure the tape is a yellow mylar tape, its used to wrap the coils on transformers, its readily available, google yellow mylar tape

#11 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

I took mine off years ago polished it then bludged some yellow electrical tape off a sparky mate
not even the rivet counters picked it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users