dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car:71 LC GTR

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

Members

From my initial research, the Federal Government in Australia has given GMH 2 Billion Dollars in assistance subsidies.

Can anyone provide an approximation of how many Holden cars of different varieties were produced here since the year 2000 and thus work out what dollar amount they were subsidised by?

Naturally any assistance is appreciated.

Cheers Dave

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Good question Dave,...the answer would probably be someone corrupted by the $$ that may have been siphoned off to be spent in the Design area for O/S  - GM products elsewhere in the world?

But I get your interest.

Would that info be in that big book they release a year or so ago?  Supercheap had it on sale  for a while

#3 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Yeah the money from Commonwealth Government was provided on the basis that GMH would keep manufacturing in this country.

So where did it all go .....

#4 torana74

torana74

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

If i recall correctly, there was a figure of around 23k that the taxpayer put into every commodore.  GM pulled out of Oz because the gov said no more handouts and they tried to call the bluff.  Essentially we were giving free funds to them and hey got used to it being the business main focus.  Where did the funds go???.. back to GM head office :(  Don't forget Ford and Toyota received the same handouts

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:20 PM

Pretty sure (but might be wrong?)that part of the agreement in latter years was that the manufactures involved had to significantly change the appearance of the vehicle and not just change lights and grills.

That's why the FG and VF had such a dramatic change in look compared to earlier models.

Would of cost megabux in design?

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:57 PM

Pretty sure (but might be wrong?)that part of the agreement in latter years was that the manufactures involved had to significantly change the appearance of the vehicle and not just change lights and grills.

That's why the FG and VF had such a dramatic change in look compared to earlier models.

Would of cost megabux in design?

I can't recall any conditions in regards to significant upgrades but IIRC the FG Falcon was a total redesign at a cost of around $7million, the VF was a major cosmetic upgrade of the existing VE shell + some mechanical upgrades?

#7 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:24 AM

I do recall this information was supplied in the News when advising of its closure. They gave a monetary figure per Vehicle. Elizabeth and surrounding areas is a low/middle income areas. It was a stimulus for Elizabeth as unemployment is more than average in these areas. I thought i recall a figure of around $30,000 per vehicle. Sure if you research News reports from pre closure time, you will find some info. Now Holdens are no longer here, I bet all Politicians gave themselves a fat pay rise with the extra money. Here comes the import Tax.

#8 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:09 PM

I remember when I bought a new M3 back in 2009 and paid around $30,000 in lux tax, plus stamp duty, GST and probably import duty, that's 4 taxes on one purchase. I must have paid for two new commodores that day. The only tax I haven't paid during my life time is death duty. F**King robbing bastards 

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

..so...now we dont make ANY vehicles in this country..have our friends in Canberra dropped all import ( protection ) taxes?

#10 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hey Col, I don't think anyone works in the review removal tax area. Think there looking at adding the following taxes on imported vehicles.

You want a new car tax

It looks really shiny tax

Its got four wheels tax

The doors open outwards tax

Combustion Engine tax

Loading/Unloading tax

Admin tax

Gov non manufacture tax

Cant remember the other taxes.

#11 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

ha ha Ray....but...true!

The following is from this morning's Autoepert.com.au / John Cadogan report..............doesnt answer Dave's original question, but does give some related detail.

But what really does it for me, with Holden, is trust. You cannot trust Holden. You just can’t. In 2012, Holden accepted a $275 million taxpayer-funded government rescue package. A parachute, stuffed with your money. At that time, here’s how the alleged ‘Holden rescue’ was was reported >>

In exchange for more than a quarter of a billion dollars of your money, they promised to invest one billion of GM’s money in Australian manufacturing, to develop and build two new cars here and keep Australian manufacturing alive for at least a decade.

There was nothing vague about this; it was an objective, publicly agreed, bilateral commitment.

The next year, they announced the closure of the factory >>. They kept the money. They didn’t make the investment. And if that’s not enough of a kick in the balls for you to decide not to buy a Holden, ever, how about this:

In January 2017 Holden quietly sent $150 million back to Detroit >> as part of a bullshit balance sheet restructuring. We only know this occurred because of documents lodged with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.

Kinda says it all right there, don’t you think, about Holden’s purported commitment to Australia? Doing business with Holden is like joining Hannibal Lecter for dinner.

#12 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:12 AM

The same thing happened to International Harvester Australia back in the 80s. International in the states got into trouble, made bad decisions as most yank vehicle manufacturers did back then and ripped all the money they could out of the Australian company and put them into receivership. They expected the Australian arm to be out of business and close the doors within weeks. After nine months IHA got them selves out of receivership and started moving forward. Then International Harvester USA found out how well the Aussie arm of the company was doing and come back for a second helping and screwed every cent from it could including selling of manufacturing equipment before selling it to Fiat/Iveco.   

#13 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

Guess what, the imported vehicle luxury tax is still in place.

We may as well just tattoo ATM on our foreheads!

#14 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

tell me about it...my wife bought a new Landcruiser last year,( after all our car plants were shut)....Paid over 9k in LCT....

#15 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

When we stop voting for these muppets that's when it will all change until then cough up

#16 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Maybe we could get Obama here ?  Before we are all fitted with a Ear/Eyes and Nose tax gauges, With technology I can see Dreaming and Smiling being taxed. I have just finished paying off the: Help us hide Unlawful Spending Fund lol

#17 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Can anyone provide an approximation of how many Holden cars of different varieties were produced here since the year 2000 and thus work out what dollar amount they were subsidised by?

This is harder than you would think to work out. I am up to 11,774,437 without the Cruze, any HSVs, and any exports before 2013. (Of which there were 60,518 in 2005)

#18 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

This is harder than you would think to work out. I am up to 11,774,437 without the Cruze, any HSVs, and any exports before 2013. (Of which there were 60,518 in 2005)

good on you for having  a go at it..I thought it would be pretty hard to do a definitive answer...info a bit fragmented etc.

#19 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Hang on hang on. I've hit a wrong button there somewhere. It can't be that much. I will have another crack at it tonight.

#20 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

OK. Without Cruze and HSV I have come up with 1,768,720 since the beginning of 2000.

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

OK. Without Cruze and HSV I have come up with 1,768,720 since the beginning of 2000.

:clap:

#22 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:53 PM

Not finished yet Dave. Approx 96,000 HSVs and 126,255 of the Cruze makes the total 1,990,975.  Now,  How many zeros in a billion???

#23 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:48 AM

Hey Laurie, if you can find an ex government calculator. These can be found in disused metal filing cabinets with a shit load of paperwork. They have an extra button in them :). Its called the hide button. That way you don't have to try figure out how many zeros there are in a billion :). Suggest trying garage sales / Gov auctions. I would lend you mine but I sold it to Google.  Good Luck .    Ray

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

Not finished yet Dave. Approx 96,000 HSVs and 126,255 of the Cruze makes the total 1,990,975.  Now,  How many zeros in a billion???

12 zeros in 1 billion. 1 Billion = 1,000 Million. At a tad over 2 million cars that 2 Billion dollars Govt assistance given to GMH is just under 1k per unit if my ciphering is correct. :)

#25 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:49 AM

I havent done the maths...but I recall reading at the time, that whatever it was, it was one of the LOWEST levels of Gov. support in any car producing country anywhere in the world.

Luckily...we are such a smart country, we ditched the industry and paid that money out in welfare payments. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users