Gtr xu1 spark plugs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hi ,

I’m looking to put another set of spark plugs in my xu1 it’s running the correct xu1 points distributor and coil, nothing fancy on the ignition , factory carbs , untouched np engine from what I can tell it’s running a late 71 cast date xu1 head I’m looking at getting a set of the ngk bp6es or the bpr6es it has the resistor for radio interference?

Does anyone run this plug in there xu1?

Do all 5843 xu1 heads take the same plug?

Cheers for your time.

#2 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

My LJ XU 202, Ian Tate engine, 10.8 :1 comp, 3x 2" SU, about 245 HP runs happily on BP7ES plugs, with resistor leads, points ignition or Pertronix as currently fitted no issues even in heavy traffic.If you have good resistor leads you won't need resistor plugs, it's an "either /or situation"

#3 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

I'd be running the resistor plug, simply because my wiring will be back to factory style. Gary.

#4 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:30 PM

The resistor plugs are good if you have other electrical equipment. I use them to assist in logging rpm's on my AFR gauge.

#5 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:18 PM

I use the resistor plugs no problems.

#6 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

Ok so it looks like I’ll get the resistor plug just to be sure bpr6es.

Cheers thanks everyone

#7 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:41 AM

hmmm...learn something every day.

This thread made me do a read up on what the terms Hot Plug and Cold Plug actually means.

My LJ with blue 202,hi comp, 200rwhp, tripple Webers, Scorcher electronic ign.  etc has always had BP5ES plugs.  ( been running it like that for years)

Had someone a while back say that I should run colder plugs, never did that.

Looks like most people ARE running the Colder ones in this sort of application....for the cost of 6 plugs, reckon I will go from a 5, to a 6 version?

Thanks

Edited by RallyRed, 01 November 2018 - 07:42 AM.

#8 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

hmmm...learn something every day.

This thread made me do a read up on what the terms Hot Plug and Cold Plug actually means.

My LJ with blue 202,hi comp, 200rwhp, tripple Webers, Scorcher electronic ign.  etc has always had BP5ES plugs.  ( been running it like that for years)

Had someone a while back say that I should run colder plugs, never did that.

Looks like most people ARE running the Colder ones in this sort of application....for the cost of 6 plugs, reckon I will go from a 5, to a 6 version?

Thanks

If your plugs are showing the correct colour to be self cleaning then stay with the 5's. I'm currently running 6's but plan on changing to the 5's for a slightly hotter plug. Dcoe's prefer a slightly richer AFR to provide good tractability (average 12.5 AFR)so a slightly hotter plug may be better suited. But it's just trial and error until you find the plug with the heat range best suited to your particular set up.

#9 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

Col, google 'how to read a spark plug'. There are a few different signs to look for in regards to heat range, timing and mixture.
My comp is 11.6:1 and I run NGK BP6ES with 2" SU's and mine read well for my application.
What James has said above is spot on tho, 5's may be fine for your combo.

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

If your plugs are showing the correct colour to be self cleaning then stay with the 5's. I'm currently running 6's but plan on changing to the 5's for a slightly hotter plug. Dcoe's prefer a slightly richer AFR to provide good tractability (average 12.5 AFR)so a slightly hotter plug may be better suited. But it's just trial and error until you find the plug with the heat range best suited to your particular set up.

Col, google 'how to read a spark plug'. There are a few different signs to look for in regards to heat range, timing and mixture.
My comp is 11.6:1 and I run NGK BP6ES with 2" SU's and mine read well for my application.
What James has said above is spot on tho, 5's may be fine for your combo.

Posted Today, 12:01 PM

Thanks gents, there cannot be too much wrong with the current ones, they have a nice colour to them, but i've never done a real plug chop to see.

Thanks again.

Edited by RallyRed, 01 November 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#11 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Once you've tuned your carbs to provide a suitable AFR then if necessary tweak the plug heat range to get them at the correct self cleaning colour/heat range. Don't worry about what everyone else is using, whilst that may give you a good starting point it may not be what your own set up requires.

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

Once you've tuned your carbs to provide a suitable AFR then if necessary tweak the plug heat range to get them at the correct self cleaning colour/heat range. Don't worry about what everyone else is using, whilst that may give you a good starting point it may not be what your own set up requires.

Agree JD...I have been running that car around a few tracks now for a couple of years, including  2 goes at Bathurst. ( = apprx 72 laps of the Mountain, at speed )

Reckon  if there was a drama, I'd know about it by now, lol

Ta for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users