Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Name:Big Tex
  • Car:LC and LJ

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

Hi ladies and gents
I’m looking for people’s input and thoughts on replacing the engine on my recently purchased and in nice condition little LC GTR. The engine currently in the car as purchased is a non original 202 with all the gear harrop crank, cam, yella terra 12 port head, triple webers. On the dyno it produced 300hp at the wheels. Amazing who ever built it knew what they where doing.
Anyway there is no record of the original engine number for the car and that engine is long gone.
I have located an LC GTR-XU1 186 short engine 3100x
It has original crank, cam, rods and pistons. No head or anything else.
I’m thinking that for investment purposes only that the car would be worth more with the 3100X engine in the car.
All the other parts should swap straight over.
I think the change out will cost me about 8k total and a lot of time and effort. And for less performance than the 202.
Do you think it’s worth it ?

#2 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Buy the short motor and leave it at the back of the shed until you sell the car. Maybe even leave it there while you sell the car, which gives a prospective new owner the choice.

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:05 AM

Hi mate,

While the 3100x is a rare find indeed and I agree, you should buy it,.....I am not sure it would add that much value to the car?.

IMHO the car/drivetrain is either original or it isnt.

Sure ,having a 3100x in the car is nicer than say a QL or whatever, but not sure the $ are there as far as the car's value is concerned.( unsure what you are paying for the engine ). if it is 2k, then why not, but if it's 7k...then...........

p.s. 300rwhp!!.....I'd be happy to leave it as is!!!!    lol

#4 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:25 AM

as you've been told enjoy he car for what it is,..i had the most fun when i had hot holden 6 3xwebers etc nearly 40years ..these cars were back in the day about enjoyment,..unfortunately now there about the almighty dollar ,..as for a investment or for resale value buy the XU1 3100x short and if sold make it part of the  package as in my eyes its a better upgrade than the 161 it may have had..

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:28 AM

I agree with Col.

I doubt the 3100x block will increase the value of the car significantly over the the 202 that it already has. Being a GTR not an XU1 a non original 2600S might help the value more than a 3100x.

If the 3100x is original bore and the price is right then as Laurie says, buy it as an investment, wrap it up and stick it in the back of the shed for the future.

Be aware though, there are re-stamped engines out there so 'check before the cheque'.

Edited by S pack, 02 November 2018 - 06:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users