2 door LJ door skin

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

Does anyone do them?

Mine is very bad (DS) and have removed it. Now it seems no one makes them (which beforehand I thought they did :( )

Anyone help me out?

Thanks.

#2 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

I used a Waddingtons on 1 side on my car & 1 from Rare Parts in Perth.

The Waddingtons skin was an early 1 I think,  wasn't a great fit or it moved when it was being made. It needs to be replaced as where the 1/4 window seal sits isn't straight...

The Rare Parts skin is a good fit with the exception of the top fold where the weather strip mounts, the bend isn't tight enough & the weather strip isn't a good fit.

Russian roulette

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:23 PM

with the exception of the top fold where the weather strip mounts, the bend isn't tight enough

That may be able to be improved with a hammer and dolly before fitting the skin to the door.

#4 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

That may be able to be improved with a hammer and dolly before fitting the skin to the door.

Yep. Trial fit every frOcking thing. The door handle recess was also in the wrong spot on the Waddingtons skin.

As I said, it must've been an early skin or moved when being made, as I've heard good reports on the Waddington skin. However I couldn't see them in their site anymore.

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:44 PM

Yep. Trial fit every frOcking thing. The door handle recess was also in the wrong spot on the Waddingtons skin.

As I said, it must've been an early skin or moved when being made, as I've heard good reports on the Waddington skin. However I couldn't see them in their site anymore.

From what I saw of the Waddingtons LC/LJ skins the shape of the door handle recess was wrong too.

#6 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

Yeah Waddington's was the only one who made them i thought; seems rare Spares do though; although after just browsing their site i can't see any ????

I have messaged Waddingtons; will do the same for Rare's.

Edited by Machine, 12 November 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#7 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

Rare Spares don't do them, Rare Parts in Welshpool WA used to do them

http://www.rareparts.com.au/

Edited by lx308, 12 November 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#8 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Gotcha thanks; onto em.

#9 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

$450 with no door handle recess + post - rare parts. Might rethink my old one. :/

#10 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

$450 with no door handle recess + post - rare parts. Might rethink my old one. :/

Yea, there's normally not many bargains at Todd's place :o

#11 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

Yea, there's normally not many bargains at Todd's place :o

If it had the door handle recess - a complete skin; then $450 is a good price; to have to fabricate a new part then that's crap imo.

#12 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

Just need to cut out the old 1. That's what my guy did the skin we used from them. Had to do the same to the Waddingtons skin in the end too. I bought a cut from another door for the panel beater to weld in the correct spot

#13 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:44 AM

I will have a look at what I have left mate, as I cut the rusted old doors away from the skin when there stuffed and I cut the skin away from the door frame when the skin is stuffed.

Cheers gong

#14 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:48 AM

I will have a look at what I have left mate, as I cut the rusted old doors away from the skin when there stuffed and I cut the skin away from the door frame when the skin is stuffed.

Cheers gong

Thanks mate.

#15 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:31 AM

Nothing really useable here mate sorry, but I do have 2 more cars to pull out in February for wrecking.

Cheers john

#16 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

I had another look at my old one and It really is rooted; Been hit hard and split open; they brazed some of it up and left some open. It is impressive they got it looking so good with 2cm of bog.

Looks like it will be worth buying a new one and welding handle recess in. :blink:

#17 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

Postage for a door skin is $120. FAR OUT!!!!

#18 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

Check their postage prices out. Get the dimensions & weight then quote it up yourself. Would be interesting to see what the costs really are. Wouldn't cost you anymore to post 2 probably

#19 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

Postage for a door skin is $120. FAR OUT!!!!

No post for two was the same.

I spent 2 hrs getting all the bog out of my old skin today. You can see where they tried to pull it out a bit, but whilst it was on the frame there was no way they could fix it. With a lot of work it will be salvageable; there's no rust in it.

So after all this i may just try and fix my one. Saying that about 90% of the door had bog on it; so i may be dreaming.

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

No post for two was the same.

I spent 2 hrs getting all the bog out of my old skin today. You can see where they tried to pull it out a bit, but whilst it was on the frame there was no way they could fix it. With a lot of work it will be salvageable; there's no rust in it.

So after all this i may just try and fix my one. Saying that about 90% of the door had bog on it; so i may be dreaming.

Hey, if it can't be saved at least you can say you gave it your best shot. :spoton:

#21 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

Hey, if it can't be saved at least you can say you gave it your best shot. :spoton:

Yeah that's true mate. It'll certainly be a challenge for me though :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users