MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

I have rust all along the bottom of the windscreen of my XU1 which has been there since the 80's as was in an unopened  shed for the last 20 years and I've been told by some XU1 experts that if there's rust on the bottom of the windscreen then there will be rust in the A Pillars etc but I can't seem to find any. I've been poking around in there today and can't see any? can anyone advise whether I might be looking in the wrong place? I took the kick panels off the inside (both sides - perfect) and popped the rubber grommet off the inner guard but nothing? Sills are perfect because of the fish oil. Am I looking in the wrong place? I want to know in case it is there and I can't see it.

#2 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Normal if it has a rust holes on the top side of the car there will be rust at floorpan height as well, water needs to go somewhere. You may be luck and run down the firewall and out the floor, depends what angle the car been parked. Also they rust from inside to out so a pinhole can turn into a 50mm hole. Don’t pull it apart unless you have 50K laying around.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

If you can't find any rust in the A pillars at this point in time then all good. I used a spray can of fisholene with the plastic tube to squirt fish oil into all of the A pillars nooks and crannies I could find. 

IMO sealer failure where the door hinges penetrate the pillar outer skin is more of a concern for rust in the A pillars than rust in the windscreen opening.

That is not to say that rust in the screen opening is not a contributing factor.

Cheers

Dave.

#4 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

I bought the car off a mate and we used pressure pack cans of fish oil compound to spray his car and mine at the time so perhaps this is why its rust free some 30 years later and being in a shed for 20years would have contributed to the lack of rust. I remember when it rained the water used to drip down onto the floor and run out of the bungs which were removed for this purpose so mabey that's why no rust elsewhere. Today I again sprayed fish oil everywhere hence why I was poking around looking for area's to spray the fish oil. Was checking out photos on this forum of other peoples rust in the A Pillar particularly around the door hinges and they look terrible which is why I'm eager to find out exactly where they rust in the A Frame area so I can spray it with fish oil

Attached Files

#5 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Check the plenum up underneath the dash and in the corners,I had rust in the front windscreen area down low in the corners,and front valance.

#6 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:13 AM

Its the corners of the scuttle panel and window channel and down sides of the front window is the area of concern..
if rusted there the water gets into and rusts the a pillar
From inside out (dr hinge area) .like spack said if you cant see any holes then your okay.to treat corners of scuttle you need something like 2m cavity wax which comes with long tube extensions with nozzle to get the wax down into the corner...you have to take the corner off the roof lining and run tube down inside of pillar.pic of area im talking about 3pk of different size tubes from 3M..Attached File  20181128_010520.jpg   96.44K   9 downloadsAttached File  20181128_010326.jpg   157.73K   7 downloads

#7 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

Ok thanks for that. I think my saving grace was the fact that it was stored away in a dry hot tin shed for 20 years and didn't get wet. Had a nylon car cover on it as well. Guess I appear to be lucky although the rust on the bottom of the front windscreen will be a concern once I pop the screen out to fix it. Drivers side pillar also appears to be ok.

Attached Files

#8 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

Sorry to harp on this topic but Just to clarify something both Paul and MAZ have said. The 'Plenum' might be a concern cause I can't get to it. (without pulling the heater box assembly out) Can a rust proofing tube be threaded through the scuttle panel and poked up towards the plenum which I assume is the far bottom corner of the front windscreen and then blast this area with whatever rust proofing compound we use. In my case fish oil? I can't quite picture in my mind what the plenum looks like but am guessing if water was to leak into this area via a rust hole in the bottom corner of the windscreen, wouldn't the water just flow down into the scuttle area and run away as the plenum looks elevated therefore gravity would not let water sit in that area?? Anyone got a picture of a plenum which has been opened up for repairs?

#9 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

No..you cant get into the corners as how they have been made
The only way would b to make a small hole through the mastic sealer used to fill the gap between the scuttle and inner panel..
It abit hard to explain..the only other way was what i said to do is go down the side of pillars..ill see if a have a pic to show you inside of the plenum area looking at the area which is sealed off..pics below.first pic scuttle panel off showing plenum areaAttached File  20170510_155956.jpg   569.75K   5 downloads
See in this second pic the white sealant between scuttle panel and inner panel.this is the reason why the only way in to use a long tube with a 360 deg sprayer down side of the pillar in my pic i showed you..Attached File  20170413_144314.jpg   561.04K   6 downloads

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 22 December 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#10 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

Or you could drill a hole into the window chanel in corner treat then weld it up...if you just want to do plenum it will b quite easy to spray in there through the scuttle panel grille...

#11 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:15 AM

Oh ok thanks MAZ so you would be able to get to it through the scuttle panel grill? I see what you mean that it would be better from the pillar inside the car and blast downwards. Is that a big blob of GMH mastic I can see in the 2nd photo? I'm guessing this plenum would be an issue for all LJ's. My windscreen will have to be removed to repair the rust along the entire bottom of it, so I guess the heater box will also have to be removed to assist with that rust repair so mabey I'll get a better view and be able to flood that area. The car hasn't seen water in the last 20 years (and won't see it whilst I own it if I have my way) which is definitely a saving grace.

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

Maz :spoton:

Attached File  LC top of A pillar window opening.jpg   232.86K   6 downloads

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Righto That makes sense. I assume you can't get to that area via the bottom and blast upwards?Sorry to be a pain but car is very original and I'm not keen to start tampering with the hood lining at the top of the pillar corner as the lining never seems to stick back the same once you separate them. Could always drill a small hole on the inside corner under the windscreen rubber and blast in there. Hole would be hidden by windscreen rubber. Anyway thanks as I now have a far better understanding of what you mean

#14 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Maz :spoton:
attachicon.gifLC top of A pillar window opening.jpg

Hehe...i wasnt even thinking when i cut that rust section to treat area then ☺ ..mine is really good in there.my only concern was once that repair was done on corner i couldnt treat the weld,so once shes back on the spit i will give her a spray and then rotate it to get it everywhere...you dont miss nothing ..lol..

#15 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

Heres the sealant..i dont think its mastic as its grey
and grainy like.i think its the same stuff used when assembling rear tail light to body
Attached File  Screenshot_20181222-225607.jpg   411.89K   5 downloads

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 23 December 2018 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users