#1 8d11p

8d11p

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Name:8d11p

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

The car had sat idle in the garage for about a month so started it and let it run up to temperature.  After short while could smell petrol so lifted the bonnet and found fuel running out of the bottom of two of the triple strombergs.

I am guessing that a seal or two may have dried out, so wondering if this is both a common problem and an easy fix (don't really want to remove them and take them to a shop).

Any thoughts?

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:54 AM

It's common for the fuel to dry out in the bowls when the car is left sitting.

When the fuel dries out it leaves flakes of residue in the bowl/lines/needle and seat.

On start up these flakes often cause problems with flooding.

Now that you have fresh fuel in the lines/carbies, these flakes may well dissolve and if you leave the car sit overnight, quite often the problem will resolve it's self.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:22 PM

If the carbs are leaking from under the fuel bowls around the jet assy then the O-ring seals have lost likely dried out and shrunk. You will probably find the leaks will stop (as Rob has said) when the O-rings swell after being exposed to the fuel again.

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

I was thinking it was probably just the o - ring to the fuel bowls, just "carefully" pull of the fuel bowls & remove an o - ring, pop down to a shop & purchase 3 new one's, put a smidgy of lube on, re fit bowls gently & tighten evenly, should be all good. Gary.

#5 8d11p

8d11p

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Name:8d11p

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

Guys, thanks for the advice...Ill see how I go....certainly a bit of a concern to see fuel splashing around a hot exhaust.

One thing to lose the Torana due to fire, but pretty sure the other half wouldn't have been impressed to see the garage (attached to the house) go up in flames..........however,  at least I could replace the house easier than the Torana :D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users