I Finally have my 76 SS Hatch back on the road after 26 years of storage. I did an Introduction a few years ago on here but it's been a long time so might do another one. I was given the car when i was 18 in 1986 by my dad. It has been painted and has new interior etc At one stage I was going to put the flares and bonnet scoop on but didn't. I was also going to trade it in on a VL Group A Commodore but didn't. Unfortunately i no longer have the original 253 or the M20 gearbox. At the time the car had 250,000km so the gearbox was an exchange and the engine is now a 308 as the 253 was shot. Anyway hindsight is a wonderful thing and things that didn't seem big then obviously are now. Ok so sorry for the pre-amble but i thought i'd mention a bit about the car before i asked the following....
1) I have all the original glass but it has minor scratching does anybody know of somebody that can polish them out. I have seen the full new glass sets on line. Do most people go this way or try and polish out the original glass if this is possible ? I realise polishing glass isn't that successful on deep scratching but was wondering if anybody has had it done and how it went.
2) My car has over 300,000 km on it so the das fascia has been worn out especially around the heater controls etc but most of the grey just looks worn and dirty. Do the rare spares full fascia kits fit over the top of the existing ones or do you remove all the existing ones get rid of the old glue and re contact adhesive them back on ? Do people install those kits themselves or get somebody to install them in situ ? Or do people get the whole lot re-painted ? I see the kits at rare spares and think it would make my interior look brand new but am concerned they won't look factory. I also don't want to de-value the car.
3) Rocker switches for the demister for the switch fascia. Can you still get them ? Or rocker switches that fit the fascia.
4) Ashtray Fascia should i re-spray the original as its completely worn out and had been painted black with just a red SS. I like the look of the rare spares fascia but feel once i drill the rivets out of the old one that's a bit of history lost.
5) Does anybody know where to get the metal sills on the bottom of the door jamb are they a repro item anywhere ? Mine are a light grey but look like they're not right.
6) Window tinting. It gets really hot anybody in Canberra know of a good window tint company ?
Any help would be appreciated. I have searched on the site for most of these answers but a lot of the information is really old with no linking photo's. Just thought there might be some updated information. Plus i get stuck on all the long time builds from start to finish that end up hours to read but are impossible not to keep reading.