Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I am trying to find a suitable location or method to put an air filter in place for the LS1

According to the engineer I can use an open pod in the engine bay legally but it will be easier to have it in an air box or out of sight if police were looking under the bonnet. I thought about making an air box or shield to fit in the drivers side corner of the engine bay and then cutting a hole in the radiator support but I am not sure about having a hole directly open to the grill that could let rain through if I were driving in the rain.

If I make the box or shield it will cover the pod in this pic

Attached File  P1110887.JPG   152.61K   10 downloads

Another option is to put a hole in the panel next to the bumper bracket (equivalent opposite piece to the battery tray) and put a piece of pipe through to mount a pod filter in the inner guard area forward of the wheel. Will it get too dirty down here? I could make some sort of shield for it, I think most dirt and water would fling of the rear of the tyre and not dirty the pod.

Attached File  P1120609.JPG   158.13K   8 downloads

Attached File  P1120610.JPG   156.5K   10 downloads

Any opinions or thoughts? Is it a good or bad location below the tray inside the guard?

I do remember seeing Dirtbag put pods in the inner guard in his brothers UC-LX hatch build.

Cheers, Tom

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

If you put it behind the right hand head light with a good quality filter, don't use steel because of the heat, would probably be the best spot. I would not give the chance for it to ingest any water, in saying that i run a ramjet otr on the ss, washing it, you have to obviously only wash in a fowards direction, i haven't really driven it in the rain. If you've seen them take in water, the back 2 rods die, almost immediately. The throttle body is only running air through it & it's basically direct injection on a ls1, hence why he's allowing the open filter. The hsv box runs about 3 holes & a little extension piece of plastic, somewhere around vy model, i think the good filter & a good custom tune, will be your best power investment. Gary.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

Have you never driven through a puddle and had water spray up over the bonnet? Water doesn't just fling off the back of the tyre...

header.jpg

An air cleaner would ingest a huge amount of water being under there, way more than would come in through a hole near the headlight.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:05 PM

?

Attached Files

#5 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

I relocated the battery into the boot and am putting the air box where the battery was.

#6 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Have a look here,http://ls2lxhatch.com/engine.htm Andy has an airbox fitted but where the battery should be. Could it be done on the opposite side?

#7 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the responses,

I had considered the battery in the boot but I am too far past that point and it would require a sealed battery box for my engineer

I can make it fit on the drivers side but ideally would like some fresh air to the filter which would mean a hole in the radiator support panel or maybe a hole from the inner guard up to let fresh air in.

If I had a hole in the radiator support panel it would forest air and possibly water in when raining, Andy's looks like it has some alloy cone directing air into the box

Will have another look at the weekend, maybe just a heat shield until it is on the road then fine tune if necessary

Cheers, Tom

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

Or put the battery on the right like a commodore, shorter cables & fit a commodore style set up on the left hand side, behind the headlight. It'll get enough air, with a good quality filter.

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:39 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much about exposure to the elements.

Attached File  5AE63EBB-5E0B-423D-A2A5-AE111444751E.jpeg   215.78K   6 downloads

Not a twin headlight conversion!

This is the old LX sedan. Years ago I cut the holes in the rad support so I could run a twin air filter setup with the filters just behind the grille. I was hoping for some added ram effect from the air pocket, particularly at speed. I ran a pair of large pod style oiled foam filters. I drove that thing everywhere, rain, slush, mud, hail and shine.

Never had a problem with water penetrating the system.

#10 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:20 AM

i would think that the EFI, to self tune, will work much better with a sealed airbox. Air temp, mass airflow all this other sensors that i only know a little about will need good consistant air, and good cool clean air. Don't know much about LHs, so really can't make a suggestion. looking good.

regards 

#11 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

I search the NCOP Section LA Engines and can't find any reference to air cleaners at all, the closest mention is on page 13/LA41 which says:

Generally when an engine of different design is substituted, the gaseous emission control system of the donor vehicle, from air intake right through the engine to the exhaust outlet, should be utilised as a package.

But I usually disregard any sentence that begins with "Generally" anyway, it qualifies that whole sentence as nothing more than bloat.

What is your engineer's reasoning behind wanting a full air box (I'm guessing it's to better control backfires)?

Not that it makes any difference but I must've seen hundreds of cars with an exposed air cleaner element in the engine bay like that, look at anything with a side draft Weber for example, and nothing spits, coughs and farts like them!

#12 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

I like the twin headlight conversion holes, I might try one of them, then just a shield over the top so the pod isn't directly visible

Engineer says I technically don't need an air box but as the cops won't know that it would be easier to have one and avoid the conflict.

It is illegal to have a pod on a later model car that originally had an air box

#13 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:01 AM

I read somewhere, dont ask me where or when, about air cleaners.

Was probably around the time my brother was doing CAI kits and other mods to get better dyno figures for peoples cars.

My recollection is that the air cleaner needed to be enclosed significantly, or have a metal mesh fitted.

It was for prevention of fires starting from backfires through the carby.

The idea of the mesh would be that it would significantly quench any flame.

Coming from a coal mining background, this was the principle in design of the old oil flame safety lamps.

Ive seen the same basic effect in bushfires, where a grass fire travelling with good wind assistance, significantly stalled in its progress when it had a mesh fence in its way.

The older webers and SU set ups usually has a metal mesh enclosing the air filter element.

Presumably for the same reasoning.

#14 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

The throttle body is air "ONLY" the injectors point into the intake runners of ls engines, no backfiring. Why are we talking self learning, when it runs gm intake, injectors, throttle body & obviously a gm ecu ? It gets a ecu remap. If pod filters made more power, then all the big shops like Russo, Ramjet, Vcm ect would go with that style. A simple hsv style box, would be next down from a good otr cai. The vt - vz system would be easy to adapt, just fit a K&n filter. Unless you have the bonnet clearance to go over the radiator. If you legally need to run a maf, then use the bigger vz ls1 maf sensor & purchase a 3 pin to 5 pin adaptor wire. I can't remember who makes them. You can then run a maf & have no restriction, fully legal anywhere. Gary.

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

?

Your apprentice Dave ???????

0 user(s) are reading this topic