BOC gas D plan

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

Very good deal at BOC atm

Pay $108 (same D bottle is $99 at Bunnings) and for the 1st year you get a free bottle; no rental; no contract. 2 for 1.

After that every year a bottle is $108.

Bloody good value for country people with no Bunnings close imo.

Local steel joint wanted $280 for a bottle.

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

As I understand it BOC have had that deal for quite a number of years now, probably at least 5 years, but they don't actively promote it to their existing client base.

A mate told me about it because he went in to return his Oxy and Acet D's and tell them to stick their monthly charges 'cause he was going to use the Core Gas bottles at Bunnings.

They soon told him about their D Plan to retain his business.

I've changed mine over and it was explained to me the annual charge includes one free refill.

#3 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

Yeah there is nothing on the web about it and bugger all on BOC website. I went in and there was a promo card on the counter in plain view.

Business owner promoted it to me straight up.

So you are saying every year a fee refill?

You are correct sir; just looked at the email BOC sent me. Awesome.

Edited by Machine, 10 December 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, but if you are a low volume user you may have the situation arise where you don't need to get a refill during the next 12 month rental period so you still have to pay your yearly charge but you miss out on taking advantage of the free refill.

Low volume users would still be better off using the Core Gas system. You pay your $200 deposit per bottle + the cost of the gas and you can have that same bottle for years before you use it all up and at the end of the day you can take it back, get your deposit back and it has basically only cost you for the gas. 

#5 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

True; they told me to bring it back after 11 months and change it over irregardless. Bunnings is $99. This is $108. Bunnings is 120km's from me; most smallish towns have a BOC.

I got 3 rusty cars to do so i'll get my use. Then when no longer needed I'll stop it.

Anyway thought it was a good deal for some.

#6 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

I think i payed 470 down here in tas to own my E size bottle outright ..refills are around 70-100 in places..

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

Most definitely a good deal, better than what BOC have been gouging me for over the last 20 years.

Sounds like you will get good value from the deal and as you say closer than going 120km to the nearest Bunnings.

We city folk forget how easy we have it.

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

I think i payed 470 down here in tas to own my E size bottle outright ..refills are around 70-100 in places..

That sounds like a damn good price to refill an E size Maz.

If BOC gave us the option to own our own bottles I would have jumped at that. Like the Swap 'n' go LPG.

#9 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:05 AM

Sounds the go hey Dave...
I bought mine from united tools in derwent park..my bro
hires his out for 20 buxs a month and i thought bugger
that..Owning it would pay for itself in a couple yrs.where i bought it from they charge i think it was 150 but theres another place that charges 90,but i cant remember for the life of me where my old man said to take it to refill.
He has mates in the business and can get it a little cheaper through them..

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 11 December 2018 - 01:08 AM.

#10 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:03 AM

I just paid a little more and went to the E size at Bunnings.

Found I was running out of gas on the D too quickly. Especially practising TIG work.

149 for the refill.

Think it was 250 all up to change from D to E

#11 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

BOC have raped me enough with their rentals .

Hello Blacksmith Jacks!

#12 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

Yeah there is nothing on the web about it and bugger all on BOC website. I went in and there was a promo card on the counter in plain view.

Business owner promoted it to me straight up.

So you are saying every year a fee refill?

You are correct sir; just looked at the email BOC sent me. Awesome.

I took up this "D plan" recently. But I don't think you'll get a "free" refill every year.  The free refill is a once only act of kindness for the initial12 month period. You will not receive a further freebie after the first twelve months into your contract. I currently have a D size argon bottle. I queried BOC about the terms and conditions, and they were explained as above. Lets say you still have a D size bottle at the end of the first twelve months, or any consecutive 12 month period thereafter, that's still 3/4 full, then too bad, you have to hand it in and pay another 12 month fee for a full replacement bottle.   So you can then roll over into your next 12 month contract period. This plan guarantees BOC restrictive annual sales regardless of usage or shelf life.  But its still better than that rental system that raped me of funds for over 30 years   

#13 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

I’m on the same deal. Two fills in the first year then one per year for around $100. Not a bad deal really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

I took up this "D plan" recently. But I don't think you'll get a "free" refill every year.  The free refill is a once only act of kindness for the initial12 month period. You will not receive a further freebie after the first twelve months into your contract. I currently have a D size argon bottle. I queried BOC about the terms and conditions, and they were explained as above. Lets say you still have a D size bottle at the end of the first twelve months, or any consecutive 12 month period thereafter, that's still 3/4 full, then too bad, you have to hand it in and pay another 12 month fee for a full replacement bottle.   So you can then roll over into your next 12 month contract period. This plan guarantees BOC restrictive annual sales regardless of usage or shelf life.  But its still better than that rental system that raped me of funds for over 30 years   

Nothing is FREE in this world. Probably the best way to say it is 'the annual charge per gas bottle includes one full bottle'.

To change over to the D Plan I had to surrender my gas bottles regardless of how much gas was left in them.

I was told each subsequent 12 month subscription period includes one refill and I can claim that refill anytime during that 12 month period, if I miss out on claiming my included refills during any 12 month subscription period then that is just my bad luck.

You've got me wondering now as to the accuracy of the info I was given so I will revisit my local BOC and ask all the relevant questions again.

Cheers

Dave.

#15 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:41 PM

Nothing is FREE in this world. Probably the best way to say it is 'the annual charge per gas bottle includes one full bottle'.

To change over to the D Plan I had to surrender my gas bottles regardless of how much gas was left in them.

I was told each subsequent 12 month subscription period includes one refill and I can claim that refill anytime during that 12 month period, if I miss out on claiming my included refills during any 12 month subscription period then that is just my bad luck.

You've got me wondering now as to the accuracy of the info I was given so I will revisit my local BOC and ask all the relevant questions again.

Cheers

Dave.

Dave, let me clarify.  Yes, you do get a full bottle annually for the price of your subscription plan. Every year you pay a fixed priced and that includes a bottle of gas within that price.  In my case it's $109 annually for my d size argon gas.  But you're forced to take out a replacement bottle annually whether you like it or not.   So if your bottle is still half full at the end of your 12 month period, then you must hand it in and roll over into a new 12 month contractual obligation period. Which means you will then receive a fresh (Full bottle) for the new 12 month period. But I guess if you wanted to you could opt to keep your half full bottle from the previous 12 month period but you'd still have to pay a fee for your now new roll over period. And you'd be crazy to do so. If you're gonna pay a fee for a further 12 months you're best taking up a fresh full bottle of gas and handing in your half full bottle. But what BOC is offering is two bottles of gas in the first twelve months for rthe price of one. But this is only for the first 12 months. After that it's only one bottle per 12 month roll over period. And also, I had no idea Bunnings had anything going in terms of bottles???  I though they only dealt in those small MAP gas bottles. Am I to understand they are now stocking D size oxy bottles? Anyone?

#16 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:12 PM

Yep,  I rung Bunnings and they have oxy, acetylene and argon bottles. And on a pretty darn good plan. I had no idea. I wish I knew before taking out this D plan with BOC.  But I know where my next bottles are coming from.   It's not as if it's widely advertised. Apparently Bunnings have been servicing these bottles for some time, according to the team member.  Upfront $200 deposit + the price of the gas,  and you get to keep the bottle for 10 years if you like without obligation. The price ($69) of the D size oxy bottle through Bunnings is not too bad. Cheaper than BOC ($79 under their D plan).  If you no longer want the Bunnings bottle, you hand it in and get your deposit back in full. Whereas  with BOC you're obligated to change over your bottles every twelve months and pay an annual fee. 

#17 _1965mjr_

_1965mjr_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

Dave, let me clarify.  Yes, you do get a full bottle annually for the price of your subscription plan. Every year you pay a fixed priced and that includes a bottle of gas within that price.  In my case it's $109 annually for my d size argon gas.  But you're forced to take out a replacement bottle annually whether you like it or not.   So if your bottle is still half full at the end of your 12 month period, then you must hand it in and roll over into a new 12 month contractual obligation period. Which means you will then receive a fresh (Full bottle) for the new 12 month period. But I guess if you wanted to you could opt to keep your half full bottle from the previous 12 month period but you'd still have to pay a fee for your now new roll over period. And you'd be crazy to do so. If you're gonna pay a fee for a further 12 months you're best taking up a fresh full bottle of gas and handing in your half full bottle. But what BOC is offering is two bottles of gas in the first twelve months for rthe price of one. But this is only for the first 12 months. After that it's only one bottle per 12 month roll over period. And also, I had no idea Bunnings had anything going in terms of bottles???  I though they only dealt in those small MAP gas bottles. Am I to understand they are now stocking D size oxy bottles? Anyone?

Hi,you have the been given the wrong info. You pay $109.00 dollars and walk away with a full bottle,you are entitled to one free exchange in the first year (so whether you have used half or any of the gas you should exchange the bottle as late as you can in the same calander year) you then pay another $109.00 on your anniversary date which allows you to one free refill in this calander year ( now since you took your refill so late in the first year you wait as long as possible before you exchange in the second
Year) you do not have to return any half used bottle as you have stated and start with a new bottle each year other than by your choice, if you follow my advice you may go a number of years at $109.00 a year. Rental on this cylinder was approx $200.00per year, plus the gas, so even when you do need to pay for an extra refill you should still be ahead with the savings you have made.
Hope this makes sense and helps.
Cheers Mark

#18 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

If you're a user that has a bottle sitting for five years before it's empty, then the BOC plan is probably not the way to go. Because each year, you're committed to paying the fixed D plan pricing -$109. Bearing in mind I'm referring to my argon bottle plan. D size oxy is cheaper.  And If you require more than one bottle per contractual year, then you're up for the refill price of the replacement bottle on top of your $109 annual contractual commitment. With the exemption of the first year of which BOC gives you two bottles for $109. Simply put  - Must outlay $109 annually, and receive a full bottle within that price. Lets say you have a bottle sitting at home for five years and do nothing with it, then you've cost yourself 5 x $109. Well, at least in my case using argon, D size. Lets say you plan it perfectly so you use up a full bottle every 12 months, then you're still up for $109 for each new replacement bottle you take out at each rollover period. Not that this is a bad price. This plan guarantees BOC a payment of $109 (from me anyway) from their customers annually.   That's how it was explained to me and correct me if I've been misinformed. Everybody will now go running back to BOC asking clarification questions about this plan.   Whereas with the bunnings plan, there is no annual plan fees and no committed annual sales. And you can have the bottle sitting at home, getting little use, for five years and it won't coast you a cent.  Apart from the up front initial $200 deposit of which you bet back in full if/when you decide to return the bottle. So in effect, you take out a bottle from Bunnings, lets say a D size oxy which costs $69. You then use up that bottle over a period of five years, take it back to bunnings for another replacement bottle, and you only pay $69.  With BOC, no matter what approach you undertake, in five years time they have over $500 of your money. As I mention above the D plan is not  for users with intended superficial  usage. Wow, this D plan has turned into rocket science, ha ha ha ha. 

#19 _1965mjr_

_1965mjr_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Hi, how much is Argon ex bunnings?

#20 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hi, how much is Argon ex bunnings?

Argon at Bunnings is 90 something ish dollars. I think they said 95 ish, from memory, that's the D size. It's around 10 bucks cheaper than the D plan from BOC. But the added bonus is, you're not committed to having to spend money every year by way of taking up replacement bottles when you don't need them.

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

Whereas with the bunnings plan, there is no annual plan fees and no committed annual sales. And you can have the bottle sitting at home, getting little use, for five years and it won't coast you a cent.  Apart from the up front initial $200 deposit of which you bet back in full if/when you decide to return the bottle. So in effect, you take out a bottle from Bunnings, lets say a D size oxy which costs $69. You then use up that bottle over a period of five years, take it back to bunnings for another replacement bottle, and you only pay $69.  With BOC, no matter what approach you undertake, in five years time they have over $500 of your money. As I mention above the D plan is not  for users with intended superficial  usage.

I see we are on the same page about some things lol

Yeah, but if you are a low volume user you may have the situation arise where you don't need to get a refill during the next 12 month rental period so you still have to pay your yearly charge but you miss out on taking advantage of the free refill.

Low volume users would still be better off using the Core Gas system. You pay your $200 deposit per bottle + the cost of the gas and you can have that same bottle for years before you use it all up and at the end of the day you can take it back, get your deposit back and it has basically only cost you for the gas. 

#22 _chriso-k_

_chriso-k_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Looking at my previous post I think I've confused some people. I wrote - "But I don't think you'll get a "free" refill every year".   What I'm referring to here is the second freebie you get in your first year. In other words, two bottles for the price of one in the first year. But you don't get two bottles for the price of one in the second year. Also, some of you guys are referring to these bottles as free. Quote from above - "So you are saying every year a fee refill". The bottle you receive every 12 months is not a free refill, you're paying $109 (depending on bottle size) dollars a year for it. 

I see we are on the same page about some things lol

Indeed we are.

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

Looking at my previous post I think I've confused some people. I wrote - "But I don't think you'll get a "free" refill every year".   What I'm referring to here is the second freebie you get in your first year. In other words, two bottles for the price of one in the first year. But you don't get two bottles for the price of one in the second year. Also, some of you guys are referring to these bottles as free. Quote from above - "So you are saying every year a fee refill". The bottle you receive every 12 months is not a free refill, you're paying $109 (depending on bottle size) dollars a year for it.

Cheers

Dave.

#24 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:15 AM

I had E size bottles (oxygen/acetylene) with BOC for over 20 years and think I only ever refilled them once in that time, so a minimal user :-)

Earlier this year I finally got jack of paying the rental so handed them back (they were virtually empty anyway) at the time of renewal.

Due to their confusing invoicing dates I was 1 day late so got slugged another months rental.

Since I wasn't using the gas (I have access at work) I went without at home and saved myself $433 in BOC rental. That rental would have come up for renewal again early in the new year (on nearly empty bottles remember). So continuing with BOC I would have been out of pocket $866 by early next year, not allowing for a price increase which they always do, on empty bottles.

This week I went down to the local Just Tools store and bought E size bottles for $924 outright and full. The guys told me they're now mine to do what I like with. No annual fees. Refills when I want are $129/159, so $288 of gas included in the $924 I paid.

By my calculations I'll be $230+ in front come the new year, and it only gets better from there on :-)

For you guys comparing apples with apples, Just Tools D sizes are Oxy $279/69 and Argon/Acetylene $349/99. (Outright/refill)

That works for me, and BOC can get fruited!

Cheers and Merry Xmas etc...

JPXU1 :D

#25 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:23 AM

I had E size bottles (oxygen/acetylene) with BOC for over 20 years and think I only ever refilled them once in that time, so a minimal user :-)

Earlier this year I finally got jack of paying the rental so handed them back (they were virtually empty anyway) at the time of renewal.

Due to their confusing invoicing dates I was 1 day late so got slugged another months rental.

Since I wasn't using the gas (I have access at work) I went without at home and saved myself $433 in BOC rental. That rental would have come up for renewal again early in the new year (on nearly empty bottles remember). So continuing with BOC I would have been out of pocket $866 by early next year, not allowing for a price increase which they always do, on empty bottles.

This week I went down to the local Just Tools store and bought E size bottles for $924 outright and full. The guys told me they're now mine to do what I like with. No annual fees. Refills when I want are $129/159, so $288 of gas included in the $924 I paid.

By my calculations I'll be $230+ in front come the new year, and it only gets better from there on :-)

For you guys comparing apples with apples, Just Tools D sizes are Oxy $279/69 and Argon/Acetylene $349/99. (Outright/refill)

That works for me, and BOC can get fruited!

Cheers and Merry Xmas etc...

JPXU1 :D

I had the D argon with Bunnings. So it cost me 300 approx for the first bottle. 99 per refill.

I just changed over to their E cylinder. With the 200 cash back on the E I think it cost me about 250 to get an E instead.

Will be 149 or thereabouts for a refill.

I do notice I go through the gas a bit quicker than expected.

Would be interesting to see if the filled volume is any different between BOC and the Bunnings ones

Edited by Rockoz, 21 December 2018 - 07:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users