jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

Well I'm sure that any LC/LJ owner is aware of these hopeless little rubber grommets that you're meant to screw into to fit the front number plate. Being rubber and 40+ years old they don't really tighten up and stay solid.

So a simple solution is to use a M5 rivnut/nutsert. It just happens that the existing hole is the correct size for a M5 nutsert and doesn't require any drilling out. If you don't have the correct nutsert tool they can easily be fitted with using a bolt, two washers with grease between them and a nut. Just screw the bolt into the nutsert with the nut fitted to the bolt first and then the two washers. Wind the nut down so that it and the washers are hard against the nutsert and then hold the bolt still whilst tightening the nut, tighten until it the nutsert feels firm. It's probably easiest to search nutsert without tool on YouTube to get a better understanding.

The nutserts work much better for attaching the number plate than the rubber grommets.

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

Well I'm sure that any LC/LJ owner is aware of these hopeless little rubber grommets that you're meant to screw into to fit the front number plate. Being rubber and 40+ years old they don't really tighten up and stay solid.

So a simple solution is to use a M5 rivnut/nutsert. It just happens that the existing hole is the correct size for a M5 nutsert and doesn't require any drilling out. If you don't have the correct nutsert tool they can easily be fitted with using a bolt, two washers with grease between them and a nut. Just screw the bolt into the nutsert with the nut fitted to the bolt first and then the two washers. Wind the nut down so that it and the washers are hard against the nutsert and then hold the bolt still whilst tightening the nut, tighten until it the nutsert feels firm. It's probably easiest to search nutsert without tool on YouTube to get a better understanding.

The nutserts work much better for attaching the number plate than the rubber grommets.

Mine doesn't screw into any rubber grommets, never has. The screw holes align with the bottom of the rego plate when fitted and the rubbers at the top of the valence panel are simply buffers to stop the plate from rubbing on the Duco.

Edited by S pack, 28 December 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#3 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

Attached File  20181228_155506.jpg   135.38K   6 downloads

#4 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

Well there you go, you learn something new every day. My number plate had been screwed into those by the previous owner and I just assumed that it was how it's meant to be.

Mine is nice and solid how it is now though.

#5 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

Hi James, never assume anything on these cars.

Assume - "makes an Ass out of u and me"

Marty

#6 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hi James, never assume anything on these cars.

Assume - "makes an Ass out of u and me"

Marty

When my son was little and I would tell him not to assume things for the above reason I'd always get a bit of a laugh out of him. :-)

I did think that it was odd that the front plate was screwed into these but the rear one was just fitted with self tappers into the sheet metal.

How'd your bonnet respraying go Marty, I "assume" that it's now better than ever.
It's good to see you still popping up on the forum from time to time.

#7 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

How'd your bonnet respraying go Marty, I "assume" that it's now better than ever.
It's good to see you still popping up on the forum from time to time.

You've just prompted me to update The Marty Report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users