#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Hi all,  I was just looking for my qtr glass hinges today and found these (pics).  I notice that they are different and wondering which is correct for the hatch, would either work (curvature is slightly different between the two, as is the opening mechanism) and if not, does anyone repro them?  Thanks in advance.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

Going by the parts catalog there's only two part numbers, one for the right (7162126) and the other for the left (7162127).

And no amendments in the supplement either.

Unfortunately I don't have a UC parts manual so I can't tell whether they changed later on or not?

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Same listed for UC

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Neither of these have what I think is a part number.  They have "HOLDEN" and 272 on them.  I'm wondering if one (or both) may be from another 2 door model like an LJ? Cheers Ron

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Would you believe that the LC and LJ parts catalogs both list the same part numbers as above (7162126 / 7162127).

I haven't had much to do with the little Toranas so does that sound right?

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

Would you believe that the LC and LJ parts catalogs both list the same part numbers as above (7162126 / 7162127).

I haven't had much to do with the little Toranas so does that sound right?

Yep, looks like the same window latches were used from HB through to UC. I suspect these latches may have originated in the HA Viva.

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

The plot thickens.  So if I have 2 different style hinges is it assumed the part number may have stayed the same but the style changed? Just to clarify the pics, the one on the left in the first pic is the one on the right in the second pick.  One for sale on Gumtree that is the same as the one of the right in the second pic is said to be from an LJ.  Is it possible the screwed in spring mech was added later? Cheers Ron

Edited by Cook, 07 January 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#8 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Usually when parts are modded they are superseded to a whole new part number and the old number is noted as NLA.

I guess it's possible that the suppliers changed in between the last LJ in early 1974 and the first LX hatches built in late 1975 and nobody noticed the difference?

#9 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

G'day Ron,

I wonder if the LJ and LX workshop manuals have a diagram of that hinge? I'll see if I can find something in the PDF versions while I'm working.

Cheers,

Liz :)

#10 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

I'm looking at them now Liz. Section 10.998 in the LJ catalog; and section 11.010 in the LX catalog.

But the LJ catalog doesn't seem to have a picture and the LX picture shows the wrong side of the latch.

#11 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

I will look at both of my cars tomorrow arvo and see what is what. Unfortunately my little green car is a bit of a mish-mash so I can't rely own anything being "correct".

Cheers,

Edited by Liz Clare, 07 January 2019 - 10:33 AM.

#12 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Liz and Andrew.  I had a quick look in my service manual  and maybe the same pic as Andrews as you can't identify it. Cheers Ron

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

The plot thickens.  So if I have 2 different style hinges is it assumed the part number may have stayed the same but the style changed? Just to clarify the pics, the one on the left in the first pic is the one on the right in the second pick.  One for sale on Gumtree that is the same as the one of the right in the second pic is said to be from an LJ.  Is it possible the screwed in spring mech was added later? Cheers Ron

Hi Ron, I had a look at the latches that originally came from my LJ (I replaced them with NOS latches back in about 1986).

They are both the the same design as the one at the RH side in this pic.

post-56851-0-22536900-1546771898.jpg

Yes there are occasions where parts were improved/modified etc but the part number didn't change.

My guess would be the latches were upgraded for the LX Hatchback and the revised parts were still perfectly suitable for HB, LC, LJ, TA 2dr applications.

#14 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Dave.  Now I'm not sure whether to try and match the LX one or just go with the flow. Not trying to be original at all but do like things to be right where I can.  And if so how many hens teeth will I have to give up in return. lol.  Cheers Ron

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Dave.  Now I'm not sure whether to try and match the LX one or just go with the flow. Not trying to be original at all but do like things to be right where I can.  And if so how many hens teeth will I have to give up in return. lol.  Cheers Ron

If the latches were upgraded for the LX Hatch you may need to stick with that later design.

Perhaps they experienced the rear 1/4 windows closing themselves at speed on the hatchback so they re-engineered the latches with that extra stay mechanism?

#16 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

As far as I can tell that spring would only assist in opening the window and/or add resistance when closing, possibly to stop the latch hitting home quite so hard when closing?

I was gonna climb through my shed looking for my hatches latches (they're in a box somewhere) but to be honest I wouldn't know where to begin looking!

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Mt hatch has the ones with the extra spring/screw. It looks to me as if it would add resistance to that pivot at all times.

#18 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Thanks guys for your advices and assistance.  Looks like I will have to run with what I have at present and add it to the list of things I need to keep a look out for.  Cheers Ron

#19 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

I had a look at the NOS latches I fitted to the LJ and they both have the extra metal piece and attaching screw. I had not taken much notice of them before however I did notice the windows wouldn't open as far as they did originally.

It appears that metal tab is actually there to limit how far the windows will open, not to help keep them open.

Perhaps it was an anti-theft thing to prevent peeps putting their arm in through the open window?

Edited by S pack, 07 January 2019 - 04:55 PM.

#20 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

2/78 Hatch with what I believe to be original latches, mine have the additional spring and screw.

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Just removed the left side window latch from the LJ and 76lxhatch is correct, the metal tab/spring whatever it is, pushes on and causes resistance to the elbow of the middle section of the latch.

Where they have limited the amount of movement compared to the original LJ latch is the next pivot joint where the pin handle is.

I'm figuring the redesign was necessary because the latch on the hatch connects to a bracket mounted to the glass which creates a different arc of movement compared to the LJ bracket incorporated into the window frame.

Edited by S pack, 07 January 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#22 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

I realise that Dave (Spack) has answered this but I just had a look at my cars and the LJ hinges open much wider than the hatch so probably for better security as Dave said.

I’m feeling too slack to remove them and the photos I took are not worth posting unfortunately..

I’m surprised that the LJ’s hinges have Holden stamped in them so original perhaps?

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for your efforts Liz.  I'm sure the advice will come in handy for anyone in the future. Cheers Ron

#24 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Just to add to the topic.  I had raised this with my local Rarespares guy and he wasn't initially sure. I saw him again today and he said he checked his. He has a UC hatch and has stripped 2 others and now has 3 sets of these hinges and none have the screw & tab. If that's correct either his aren't original or my theory of them being modified later doesn't stand up?  Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users