Which insurance do you guys recommend?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _scoops_

_scoops_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Hello Everyone, my insurance is coming up for renewal and I'm wondering what insurance companies you recommend? The car I drive is an LX (originally a 202, but now has a 173 in it) -- I did that work myself putting in the 173 and in hindsight I should have asked the following question first before doing the work. Does having the 173 in the car void the insurance? I'm also only really looking to insure the car under the "third party" insurance policy as this car really is no show pony. Thanks for any advice.

#2 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

I'm using Shannons for laid-up insurance for the Torana and on road insurance for the ute.  They don't do just 3rd party (as I believe) but I like that they do agreed value.  Cheers Ron

#3 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

I also use Shannons, they seem to understand older cars. My car used to be a 202 but now runs a worked 308. There were no problems with any details I provided and there agreed value (vehicle unsighted) is $90.000 plus. I don't know of any other insurance provider that would offer this amount. There are other benefits including 20 mil liability and salvage rights. Ray

#4 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

We have a few cars with Shannons. 

Had a claim on a daily with them a year or so ago, smooth as silk. No dramas.

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

Hello Everyone, my insurance is coming up for renewal and I'm wondering what insurance companies you recommend? The car I drive is an LX (originally a 202, but now has a 173 in it) -- I did that work myself putting in the 173 and in hindsight I should have asked the following question first before doing the work. Does having the 173 in the car void the insurance? I'm also only really looking to insure the car under the "third party" insurance policy as this car really is no show pony. Thanks for any advice.

G/day Martin, show pony or not your if your LX is roadworthy and registered then get an agreed value comprehensive policy on it. It will be worth more $$$ than you realise.

I shouldn't expect installing a smaller capacity engine is going to affect your existing insurance policy.

#6 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

+1 Shannons

#7 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

I'm using Shannons for laid-up insurance for the Torana and on road insurance for the ute.  They don't do just 3rd party (as I believe) but I like that they do agreed value.  Cheers Ron

I have an old Camry with 3rd party with Shannons

#8 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,811 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

We have our House/Contents and 4 cars with Shannons. I cant complain. Ive tried a few other companies and no one comes close. Actually just had the insurance value revised on my black car to $100k. Sent them about 10 pics and a 3 minute phone call is all it took. 

Edited by hanra, 15 January 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

I only insure what i cant afford to lose. Insurance is a rort.
If you are only after 3rd party property. AAMI is usually pretty competitive. Can get quotes on line from the main players these days.

#10 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Like above Shannons, provided ‘layed up cover’ when I had my Torana and no other company came close out of the companies that would actually insure my fairly modded VE Commodore

#11 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

I have an old Camry with 3rd party with Shannons

I also had an old Camry but had full comp with Shannons.
Someone reversed into it and repairs were more than car was worth. They asked if I wanted it fixed and I did, so it was fixed with my choice of repairer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

#12 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

I'm with LSV, no claims yet though (fingers crossed).

#13 _Housecat1977_

_Housecat1977_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

I’m with Rhyno. Been prettyhappy with them so far but haven’t had to put a claim in yet.
I moved to them from Shannon’s as I had heard good reports about them and they gave me a better valuation of the car for the same premium.

It’s coming up time to renew so I’ll be doing the call around to see if one of them can do better again.

#14 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

Shannons - all our cars, service has been 2nd to none and i am happy to pay for it!

#15 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:03 AM

I’ve got Shannon’s agreed value on one of my early toranas policy cam up for renewal this week I’ve not yet paid it as it’s gone up 200 from last year I’ll call them on Monday to find out why that is.

Edited by Drag lc, 26 January 2019 - 06:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users