MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:53 AM

Ok my original door rubbers are catus so have dug out the NOS ones that came with the car. I noticed the part number sticker runs consecutively assuming this means drivers side and passenger side??  They were covered in some sort of white powder anyway once again I'm guessing theres an art to fitment of these. I would like it to be exactly the same as factory so where is the join and what glue do I use (supaglue) that will reliably glue those ends?. The new ones have no sponginess i.e when you squeeze them between fingers they are firm. Guessing thats how they are. My original push on plastic buttons are red whereas these are white.

Attached Files

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:30 PM

They are most likely Rare Spares Repro seals in those Holden parts bags. Yes left and right hand, one is odd number the other is even number.

I believe it would be best to ditch those early Rares door seals if they are their earlier offering and buy their current seals. Better fit and softer. :spoton:

Edited by S pack, 07 February 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Hi

I have checked the door rubbers that were removed from my '72 - one had white plastic clips and the other had wire clips. In each case the rubber was soft but one had spring wire clips and the other white plastic. The rubber profiles were completely different so I am thinking one may have been LC and the other LJ. I believe both are originals.

Cheers

Bazza

#4 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

The original ones are black clips......... Mark your ones are rare spare ones from the late 80's early 90's cheers

Attached Files

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Hi

I have checked the door rubbers that were removed from my '72 - one had white plastic clips and the other had wire clips. In each case the rubber was soft but one had spring wire clips and the other white plastic. The rubber profiles were completely different so I am thinking one may have been LC and the other LJ. I believe both are originals.

Cheers

Bazza

Bazza, HB, LC & LJ same same. Original fitment seals had the spring wire. My 4/73 LJ both left and right original seals had the wire.

#6 _2 girls racing_

_2 girls racing_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Bazza, HB, LC & LJ same same. Original fitment seals had the spring wire. My 4/73 LJ both left and right original seals had the wire.

My lx had the wire seals as well originally, 78 uc also has the wire seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

These door seals I have were purchased from Holden in the late 80's early 90's because I bought this car off my mate and I was with him  most of the time he bought stuff from Holden.  Are they really Rare Spares made?? wow thats something I didn't know. Anyway I'll try and use them as worse case scenario is they don't fit. So what glue do I use to join the ends and where is the join positioned on the door itself??

#8 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

I also have a NOS front windscreen rubber which is in its blue/white Holden plastic bag. Are these also made by Rare Spares?

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

These door seals I have were purchased from Holden in the late 80's early 90's because I bought this car off my mate and I was with him  most of the time he bought stuff from Holden.  Are they really Rare Spares made?? wow thats something I didn't know. Anyway I'll try and use them as worse case scenario is they don't fit. So what glue do I use to join the ends and where is the join positioned on the door itself??

Yep, GMH were selling Rare Spares repro seals, amongst other bits & pieces, packaged as GMH genuine spares as far back as the late 1980's.

This was long before the Rare Spares/GMH Holden Restorations Parts branding came into being.

Superglue is what I used.

Edited by S pack, 07 February 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

I also have a NOS front windscreen rubber which is in its blue/white Holden plastic bag. Are these also made by Rare Spares?

Possibly. However I bought a NOS LC/LJ front screen seal from the Toowoomba Swap Meet in around 1986 or 87. It was still in it's Blue & White GMP&A bag and it is definitely not the same as the Rares Repro seals of the day.

#11 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Possibly. However I bought a NOS LC/LJ front screen seal from the Toowoomba Swap Meet in around 1986 or 87. It was still in it's Blue & White GMP&A bag and it is definitely not the same as the Rares Repro seals of the day.

I had 2 NOS genuine front screen rubbers they were in a white and clear bag with GMH Holden in red writing
all over the bag way
I bought them way before Rare Spares were around

#12 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

Crap

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

I had 2 NOS genuine front screen rubbers they were in a white and clear bag with GMH Holden in red writing
all over the bag way
I bought them way before Rare Spares were around

Yeah the Holdenwise bags. They came after the Blue & White GMP&A branding. And after Rare Spares started up.

Edited by S pack, 07 February 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#14 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

Crap

In your toilet old man

Yeah the Holdenwise bags. They came after the Blue & White GMP&A branding. And after Rare Spares started up.

Im not sure if they had Holden wise on these Dave they both gone now so cant check the bags
but maybe your right

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Jog your memory old man.

Q3tcbH4.jpg

#16 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

To be honest i cant remember but i got some other new old stock parts will check them later
old man ? settle down fos

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Loctite 406,is the glue to use, clean it first, let it dry & you're good to go. WATCH OUT you don't get it on your fingers & stick them together. It sticks very well. & keep it in a cool spot. Gary.

To be honest i cant remember but i got some other new old stock parts will check them later
old man ? settle down fos

I'm keen to see what nos parts you have Gene, send me a pm if you like, or tell Rob S.
Gary.

#18 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

I started this post and tried to fit my NOS door rubbers today starting with passenger door. The rubbers feel firm i.e not soft. They went on easy but as I suspected would happen, door won't close. Doesn't even come close to closing gets to first click only. I'm assuming these NOS ones are no good now as rubber is hard. Anyone got any idea's on making these fit other than waiting for summer and sticking the car out in the sun?  Or just buy the Rare spares ones?

#19 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

Doesn’t mater what you do the old rare spares door rubbers are
Rubbish. I had them on my old xu1 and after years they were
Still hard. My doors started to damage from the slamming and got cracks next to the latch which i had to weld and repair. found old rubbers and put them on they were perfect.
The new version from rare spares is meant to be good but have
Never tried.
Just be careful don’t f...ck you’re doors up

Jason

#20 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

Mark, I have used the Rarespares door rubbers on my WB and they are quite soft (too soft for my liking).  I would suggest go to your nearest Rarespares outlet and compare against yours.  Alternative may be Better Auto Rubber but I can't comment on good/bad/indifferent.  Cheers Ron  

#21 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

Better auto rubber is even worse tried that as well .

Cheers Jason

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

I'm happier with the latest Rares LC LJ door seal offerings but until they make them exactly the same as the original seals they won't be perfect.

#23 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:07 PM

To be as professional as possible, it really really disappoints me, that 1 off the main things that you don't have any control over the product fitment & quality, is so far off, from each company, with a heap of people in the team, some good machinery, advancement in technology & a fair amount of money, tell me how is this possible ??? We have things that scan now, surely it can be matched to 100%. If something can be made, it can be remade they say.

#24 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

Nobody minds paying the $$$ for a CORRECT part. I hear that every week. But paying for something that you're not happy with, certainly leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

#25 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

+1 Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users