FNQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name:Darryl
  • Car:lc

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

So i am finally sorting out an Lc 4 door purchased a few ago.  

Couldn't get it to run properly on purchase, but although rough, it was enough to get on and off a trailer and into a shed.

It is a bit of a bitsa build,( nothing wrong with that,- and remember it is a 4 door so a bit more fun to be had without worrying about authenticity)  with a black Vk 202 block ( or similar) ,9 port head  Lc sump, and a Bling Holley 465 look alike.

I am not very conversant with Holleys, but my budget couldn't source triple SUs , so i read up and played around but no luck - still running terribly.

I back tracked to a guy in NSW who tried tuning it ( remember this was 3 years ago) - and he said he was chasing his tail, and wanted to swap out for a known good carb ( genuine Holley) to see if it was the carb.

Anyhow now to two examples of bling from Hell.

i found the mechanical fuel pump was no good - don't know if always like that or from sitting around for 3 years with fuel gunk building. So good start. 

I also bought a 390 cfm 4 bbl holley second hand from a chap who had it running on a warm holden six, torana so jetting and power valve should be close. 

While starting her up  with the old genuine holley 390etc , - i now notice a significant oil leak- and can't tell if it is sump, oil filter or rear rope seal - until i clean it up and put on hoist. The good news it is running far better even before tinkering,   so whilst the fake holley looked super bling with chrome everywhere - it didn't work for me.  ( I will give it another chance to be fair - as it could have a blown power valve or some gunk stuck somewhere - but so far bling is out of the running for this little setup.

So i check where the oil is coming from and very happy that it seem to be oil filter centric- so take oil filter off and change out  ( good result),------ except that a bling chrome oil filter cover is sitting on the Z30.   There is no room to slip it off the end as the steering gets in the way , and i can't rotate the cover and filter as one item because the grub screw retaining mechanism sticks out and fouls the block when you try and turn it . So grind off the grub screw boss and pull the bling cover off the end about 2cm to get to the oil filter . I needed a little assistance from a oil filter spanner type thing. but not supertight.

So chrome oil filter cover scores zero for function but it will look good as a pot plant holder.

I have chrome bonnet hinges that will need adjusting, and probably will need some help with the holley once i peek inside and get hold of a vac gauge , so their could be more on this post soon.

I feel better just getting it out of my system.... thanks for tolerating this gibberish

#2 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

390 vac sec on a proper 4bbl manifold is a winner. Chrome is for bumper bars. Good result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

Some blokes would chrome their old fellas if they could

#4 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

Find old johnnos posts about the red 6.

It is interesting to read his views on a Holley on the red 6.

I reckon it is a must read for anyone contemplating playing with red 6s.

Will give you some great food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users