304 Cast Exhaust Manifold to LH-LX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Hi all,

I'm fitting a 304 to my LH and was looking at exhaust manifold options without going for the multitude of off-the-shelf tri-y designs that are available.

Does anyone know if the cast iron manifold that came on 304's fit into a LH/LX? The 304 that I have came with tri-y's to suit a VS and they certainly don't fit (surprised).

Does anyone have any cast iron manifolds sitting around collecting dust that I could take off your hands to check/modify (I'm in Perth)?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Don't know about the cast manifolds, but the early style shorty headers fit the driver side and clear the steering easy, passenger side needs a small modification:

http://www.gmh-toran...e-4#entry840236

(These are not the HSV ones, just the basic setup that came on lots of VNs).

Based on that I'd think there might be a chance the cast manifolds will work, otherwise the short headers might be an option for you too.

#3 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

Thanks mate, that looks good, now I just need to find some!

I'm surprised that the passenger side was the problem, I was expecting the drivers side to be the issue.

Anyone with some shorty headers lying around the shed?

#4 _2X044_

_2X044_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:39 PM

​I found some of the VN SS style shorty headers at a wreckers who wanted $200 for them and told me they regularly crack. I'd rather put the money towards a set of CAE manifolds or similar. I then had the idea of making a set myself using the steam pressure bends commonly available from places like Blackwoods but I can't justify the $70 for the manifold flanges of EBay.

So my plan is, draw up my own flanges on CAD and get them laser cut, my guess is they'll cost $20 or so (if anyone needs some drop me a line and I'll get a few sets cut). Then I'll make a manifold out of steam pressure bends that will be suitable for the stock 304 now and maybe even good for a sneaky turbo later given I have the perfectly sized turbo lying around.

Elbow90_LR_BW.jpg

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

They're no more prone to cracking than any others, but yeah $200 is a bit rich. Whatever works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users