D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Name:Dion
  • Car:LC SL

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Gday gang, I need the brains trust help.

I’ve rebuilt a Eli black 202 with a s/c built by Shane Barnett for it.
Here’s a run down on what I did, possibly will miss some things.
Linished crank
30’ bore, shaved deck, o ring block, cleaned and I painted it.
I forget the cam but it’s slightly above xu1 grind, hyd lifter, crow push rods
Original Conrods, dished pistons, 56cc yt alloy head with roller rockers and copper gasket
New standard oil pump, barrel inter cooler running into original efi manifold, pacemaker header,
Wolf ems which runs fuel pumps, thermos for rad and inter cooler rad, heaps of other shit.

So I took the centre springs out for cam run in.

Right now Ive left the rockers off and cranked it hoping it would be enough to Bring the oil to the head as I read in some threads, but no.

So my thoughts now is to chuck the rockers on,leave the rocker cover off, turn accessories on to set the computer up then kick her in the guts at 2k hoping I get oil to the head ASAP , then turn it off, rocker cover on, start her back up and run at 2k for 20 mins to the new cam,

Drop the oil then refill (run in oil again or something else guys?) put the centre springs back into the valves then get her on the road.

Thoughts, better ideas?

Any and all help much appreciated.

D

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

Have you primed the oil pump ???
No need to change the oil maybe do 500 Km with the running in oil then change
thats what we have always done

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:55 AM

Cam run-in is not so important that you should risk the engine to do it, idling for a minute to make sure everything is stabilised (and you have no leaks) is better than running at 2000 RPM with no oil pressure (or coolant)!

I'd agree with Gene above for a road car, however it would be beneficial to inspect for metal etc. in the oil pan after the initial cam run. If everything is clean you could probably even pour the oil back in for the remainder of the run-in.

If you do find metal then you need to decide whether it was machine swarf that didn't get cleaned out before assembly or something more serious, in which case the engine may need to come apart again for inspection?

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:26 AM

You wont get oil up to the rockers by turning the engine over by hand. Put the rockers and cover on, prime the oil pump and the oil filter, pull the spark plugs and spin the engine on the starter until you have oil pressure on the gauge.

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:29 AM

Put the rockers & rocker cover back on, pull the spark plugs out, then crank it over until you get oil pressure, then put the plugs back in & fire it up. When it starts keep the revs at 1500/2000 rpm to run the cam in keeping an eye out for leaks etc., then fit your inner valve springs Leave the oil in for 500 km then change the oil & filter.

Edited by warrenm, 11 March 2019 - 06:31 AM.

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

The only thing I'd do differently is dump the oil & filter after the cam break in, as Andrew stated, oil's cheap enough to do that, then fit the inner springs, do 500 klms dump & fit a good quality oil and filter. & enjoy.

#7 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

I think i primed the pump. I filled the filter, but stuggled to keep oil in the pump as I was fitting it so I put vas on the gears then Kept as much oil in the pump as possible when fitting it.
I think I misspoke. I turned the engine over with the starter motor without the rockers on for about 30 secs but got no pressure or oil to the top, but I’ve read a lot that a crank isn’t enough to move the oil on a fresh engine.

#8 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:28 PM

So just keep turning for longer then 30 secs? Also what are people’s thoughts on priming the oil pump? Did I do the right thing

#9 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:57 PM

If you pull all the spark plugs the engine will easily crank over fast enough to build oil pressure, with the plugs in and no rocker gear, the starter will be working twice as hard because every stroke will be a compression stroke (instead of every second stroke).

Also with no pushrods you won't get any oil to the cylinder head at all, it will just be spewing out of the lifters and draining back into the sump.

If you're really having problems, have a look on youtube for DIY engine oil primers you can make yourself, some are as simple as one of those pressurized weed sprayers you get from a hardware store, just pour some oil into it, connect the hose to the oil pressure sender hole on the engine and start pumping! Just remember to disconnect it and reinstall the oil pressure sender again before you attempt an engine start. And obviously allow for the added oil level.

#10 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

Put the rockers & rocker cover back on, pull the spark plugs out, then crank it over until you get oil pressure, then put the plugs back in & fire it up. When it starts keep the revs at 1500/2000 rpm to run the cam in keeping an eye out for leaks etc., then fit your inner valve springs Leave the oil in for 500 km then change the oil & filter.

This

#11 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

Used to pack the oil pump with grease but lately told this is a no no. Oil delivery to top end is through the pushrods doh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:42 PM

I need to check the timing to the ecu before starting, so chucking in no 1 plug and crank will gibe me that?
Also, I’m about to kick the jack stands from under my car.
The rad hose from bottom to pump is leaking both sides, under no pressure. New ones from kings wood online store only leaked on pump side, so chucked the old one on and now it leaks both sides.
LC radiator, vk engine, vk pump. Wouldn’t imagine it making a didderence but please help. So close yet so far away.

Edited by D-Train, 12 March 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#13 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

So cranked her, no pressure on the gauge but oil coming out the first two rods but not the others that I could notice from the door. My gauge is #@$^%& or I wired it wrong, but am I right to kick her in the guts like this? I’ll obviously sort the gauge out first but is this what I’m looking for?. Cheers

Edited by D-Train, 13 March 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#14 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

If you're getting oil up to the rockers then the oil pump must be primed. The oil gallery goes in at the front of the cam and works its way backward to the lifters so I would expect the front lifters to get oil first, there's probably still air in the gallery further back?

I'd sort the gauge out next until you can confirm oil pressure on the starter, then put the covers back on and...

kick-it-barry.jpg

#15 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Legend mate. I’ve got a mechanical gauge I’m going to chuck in, then sort elec out later if I can be #@$^%&. Appreciate the help everybody, especially you Andrew. Helps me a lot. Obviously a virgin builder and jumped in but it’s the best way to learn I find, even if you frOck it.

#16 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Update time??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users