Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name:MrFX
  • Car:Fx

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Im hoping one of you Gurus can help me,

Ive got an FX holden with a Torana rack fitted to a HR front end.  Im driving it from Brisbane to Rockhampton soon to use for my neices wedding.  As the car hasnt been used much in the last few years i thought i  would give it all a once over, scrubbed inside edges on front tyres, so needs a wheel alignment. but while im doing the wiggle of the wheels etc checking wheel bearings steering etc, I find a heap of play on the passenger side. stick head underneath and find the end of the rack is flopping around like the proverbial cock in a sock,  pull the boot off and find the rack floating loose in the end of the housing, like its got no bush or bearing to hold it centred.  Now for the life of me i cant remember if i used an LJ or LH rack, how do i tell? and is this an easy fix?  can i just buy the bits and strip it down and rebuild it myself?  I should mention that the rack has been shortened to suit the car as well.   

Any Advise would be appreciated, Its booked in for a wheel alignment thursday Next week, so ideally getting it sorted before them would be cool

If theres any Gurus here in Brissy that can do it for me Im happy to pay either folding or liquid....

Cheers

Edited by fx48_eh64, 03 April 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#2 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

No idea about the older racks, but, saying it's all floppy on the PS kind of tells me its a later LX rack, there is a plastic/bakalite style bush in the end that fails and sort of crumbles to bits.

Superpro do a replacement bush in Urethane, simply clips/slips into a groove in the the rack housing, dismantle, clean, fit new bush, reassemble, clean the crumbs out of the rack boots.

The early racks, not sure when, have a cast iron or similar bush, that can wear but not fall apart like you describe.

I'm not in Brisbane or I could help :-)

#3 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

No idea about the older racks, but, saying it's all floppy on the PS kind of tells me its a later LX rack, there is a plastic/bakalite style bush in the end that fails and sort of crumbles to bits.

Superpro do a replacement bush in Urethane, simply clips/slips into a groove in the the rack housing, dismantle, clean, fit new bush, reassemble, clean the crumbs out of the rack boots.

The early racks, not sure when, have a cast iron or similar bush, that can wear but not fall apart like you describe.

Ok thanks                Yea it does sort of look like a bush is missing, so hopefully its that simple 

I suppose i should drag my engineering papers out, that will probably list which rack it is LOL

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

The early racks, not sure when, have a cast iron or simila r bush, that can wear but not fall apart like you describe.

Agree, it will be an LH/LX rack.

FX. You could try BHSS at Capalaba for a price and turnaround on reco of your rack.

#5 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

Agree, it will be an LH/LX rack.

FX. You could try BHSS at Capalaba for a price and turnaround on reco of your rack.

sweet will give them a call tomorrow, thats only 5 mins away from me as well

#6 fx48_eh64

fx48_eh64

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

Update...... Dropped the rack off at BHSS this morning,  should be ready by mid next week, 3 Hungy plus the Government's whack  To easy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users