#1 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

As we all know electric cars are here ,and supposedly by 2030 in Australia 50% are hoped to be electric .Its probably been touched on before but what will our classic cars be worth ? and will we be able to drive them without forking out some sort of tax for doing so? From what I've been hearing over the last few weeks it's happening faster than we think .So when they ban the sale of Diesel and Petrol cars in Australia ,does that mean if you have a combustion engined unregisted restoration which you've just completed ,will you be able to get it registered?interested in any thoughts.

#2 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:36 PM

Cant see diesel and petrol vehicles being phased out too quickly as governments are addicted to taxes on fuel. Imagine the billions of dollars each year foregone.

#3 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:42 PM

Labor and the Greens seem to be pushing it.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

You will always need diesel cars imho

#5 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

Think we will be fine our lifetime, will change for kids.
Full electric is not there yet for full commercial use, hybrid suits australia much better, your not going to see an interstate road train as full electric anytime soon.

Governments would also be hesitant to spend the billions on changing infrastructure for full electric.
Simple things like the power grid on the east coast struggles now in 40deg weather, SA has blackouts during storms, now add a few thousand then 10’s of thousands electric cars that require charging.
We will have no choice tho, government emission targets are driving what the manufacturers are doing which is then filtering down to us, only time before it happens.

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

I reckon the 50% by 2030 statistic quoted is just another example of government propaganda, just some figure that some idealistic, fresh-out-of-college, thinks-he-knows-everything public servant numpty has pulled out of his arse to make it look like the government is actually doing anything besides trying to stay in government.

The way they usually do things is to tax the absolute crap out of something until it's so bloody expensive that nobody can afford it any more... I bet there's a few ex-smokers here that could identify with that!

The thing with that philosophy is that they can sneak it up slowly over a decade or so and there won't hardly be any political backlash, whereas if you put an extra 50 cents per litre fuel tax on tonight, you'd have an overthrown government by tomorrow night!

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Think we will be fine our lifetime, will change for kids.
Full electric is not there yet for full commercial use, hybrid suits australia much better, your not going to see an interstate road train as full electric anytime soon.

Governments would also be hesitant to spend the billions on changing infrastructure for full electric.
Simple things like the power grid on the east coast struggles now in 40deg weather, SA has blackouts during storms, now add a few thousand then 10’s of thousands electric cars that require charging.
We will have no choice tho, government emission targets are driving what the manufacturers are doing which is then filtering down to us, only time before it happens.

Don't vote Labor if you don't want/like Bill's plan.

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

No way I'm ever getting on a 747 or an A380 etc etc with electric turbine engines.

#9 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

I have a gut feeling they are going to force it apon us ,WA country towns already have the recharging stations and driving a car with a combustion engine soon will be like a smoker lighting up a durrie in a restaurant.So say in 10 years will classic cars be registered I wonder? Is now the time to sell?

Edited by Indy Orange, 16 April 2019 - 11:33 PM.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:52 PM

They can all go and fux themselves...……………..just sayin

#11 _2 girls racing_

_2 girls racing_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

I heard rumour a while ago that income tax will get raised to make up the shortfall the government are no longer getting from alcohol and tobacco. Apparently everyone is getting healthy!
There’s a lot of coal fired power stations that need to go renewable energy before cars surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

This thread on the subject of electric vehicles on the Fastlane Forum is an interesting read so far. http://www.fastlane....aspx#post176249

#13 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Interesting read ta Dave.

#14 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:19 PM

I can just picture it now whats under the hood mate
i got 12 fully charged optima batteries bud
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik

#15 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

fully

#16 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:47 PM

Electric motors deliver peak torque at 0 rpm and can be very quick off the line. My neighbour just sold his electric converted lancer to some guy who bought it to put in an xm falcon!?! Not that I would prefer it to a gmh donk, but an improvement on any frod boat anchor no doubt 8).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:26 PM

They've reported, That vehicles are responsible for 20% of Australia's pollution. But as stated that leaves 80%. Now 10 years ago, government was advised on starting solar/clean coal power stations, to make the phasing over smoother. Wind turbines ect. They where all also informed about the fact if they put renewable solar on all government buildings, then it would be so cheap to fit it to a house, it would be the same cost as a hot water system. As far as I'm concerned that is what should be happening, before we are pushed in the direction of electric vehicles ect. In saying that, i believe that special interest vehicles will still be allowed to be registered, i think that the fuel price will probably rise obviously. Don't forget 50% of NEW vehicles sold after that date can be other fuel powered, so far. Electric & hydrogen will sadly be the way in another 10 years though. America is working on introducing a tarrif for electric vehicles, due to not getting the fuel tax at the bowser, which would equate to the amount they wouldn't receive to go towards roads ect. Either of the 2 major parties will be forcing this upon us, look around at the UK, every brand is going almost all electric. Including trucks and buses. Sorry, but i think it probably will come in reasonably fast in the 2020's

#18 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

Like the car replacing the horse - horses are still around for hobbyists etc.

Petrol cars will still be legal - but the price of fuel will be high and they will only be special occasion and historic vehicles - which is kinda happening now anyhow.

#19 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

The reason it's happening now is, there's so many theiving scum prices.

#20 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

I hope the Adani coal mine gets the go ahead to power some more coal fired power stations to cope with the grid demands of everyone charging their cars over night. We need the jobs up here anyways. These Melbourne hippies seem to have a different idea.

Edited by hanra, 17 April 2019 - 09:53 PM.

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

I hope the Adani coal mine gets the go ahead to power some more coal fired power stations to cope with the grid demands of everyone charging their cars over night. We need the jobs up here anyways. These Melbourne hippies seem to have a different idea.

Sorry Brad but I disagree. Adani won't be mining coal for Australian consumption, he will avoid paying taxes and royalties and he will rape and destroy our environment and when he is finished he will close up his operations and walk off leaving behind an environmental disaster.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CTv3UBQKYRA

#22 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:16 PM

As long as locals get some work out of it, it’s a good thing. There is nothing for people to do for work up here.

#23 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Idid hear the coal mine here in Collie is soon due to close,how soon I don't know ,a few years yet I hope.

Edited by Indy Orange, 17 April 2019 - 10:32 PM.

#24 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

As long as locals get some work out of it, it’s a good thing. There is nothing for people to do for work up here.

Sorry Brad, but mate I'm going to tell you that the worst thing that could ever happen to Australia & our meat and fruit & vegetable industry, would be for Adani to run the mine. It's that simple ! I'm not against a mine, but I'm certainly against the Adani group. The reason for so many things being stipulated to them, is their environmental disasters everywhere they've been in the world so far & that isn't made up & the fact that they run everything in shell companies & then fold them, when things go bad. All their money go illegally to tax havens & they won't pay tax here or royalties. No bank in 3 years + in the whole world would secure finance for them, the libs were the only 1's stupid enough to do it & then give them incentives to operate here. We are talking about the 2nd biggest coal mine in the southern hemisphere (lower part of the world) not some little prep plant. It is also over the top of natural springs feeding the bowen basin water table. Unless you catch your own drinking water & only live on a diet of McDonald's products grown in Tasmania, then anyone on the east coast of Australia from the Cape to Melbourne, has something to be concerned about. PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT ADANI ! Gary.

#25 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Just YouTube, digging up Adani four corners. Now that is a genuine report. The latest thing being spread is these reports are fake, that 1 is certainly not.

Sorry i didn't see Dave put up the link, awesome work Dave !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users