Gledge

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Glen lovell
  • Car:Fb Holden

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here had used toluene mixed as an octane booster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:22 AM

No.

Seems to be a VERY nasty solvent.  Bad for paint, rubber, seals, anything plastic, your skin, your lungs.

10:1 seems to be the ratio most people use.  Have also heard of nasty fires when it ate fuel components away.

I would look at E85 if you need more bang.  Safer and getting more accessible.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

AFAIK E10 isn't compatible with older cars without making fuel system upgrades and E85 can only be used in vehicles with fuel systems specifically designed for it.

Also E85 has a lower energy content than petrol so fuel consumption will be in the order of approx 30% more to cover the same distance.

Edited by S pack, 27 April 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Yes i have tried it ages ago. Works fine. I had to order from the shell depot at the time as it wasn't a stocked item. My fuel system was able to take it.

#5 Gledge

Gledge

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

Thanks guys.. I have spoken to a few blokes who use it regularly with no problems.. the mix ratio at 5 percent seems to not create any problems and up to 10.. I bought 20 litres the other day to try it but still had a full tank with nulon octane booster in it which just seems to turn my plugs and exhaust a red brown colour and only takes a small amount more timing if any.. so I will see how it goes

AFAIK E10 isn't compatible with older cars without making fuel system upgrades and E85 can only be used in vehicles with fuel systems specifically designed for it.
Also E85 has a lower energy content than petrol so fuel consumption will be in the order of approx 30% more to cover the same distance.

#6 Gledge

Gledge

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

Yeah we were going to tune it for E85 but it’s just to hard to get on the street and I still drive it fairly long distances so we kept the compression down enough to survive on pump fuel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users