Dodgy Ebay buyer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

So I received this message from a ebay buyer who I will not name at this stage

Where is the chrome cover like in the picture,I want it or my money back. Fraud I’ll contact eBay.

It is in relation to this item:

https://www.ebay.com...fIAAOSwsrlcQrAI

My reply was:

Excuse me?

The description clearly states its a 6mm machined aluminium plate, nowhere does it say Chrome steel motor cover.

The first couple of photos show the aluminium cover plate mounted to a wiper motor which yes does have a chrome motor cover... it also shows a wiper motor and a Torana engine bay which im sure you have noticed did not come with the sale... the rest of the pictures show the cover plate by itself.

Im guessing you are trying to be dodgy and get the item for free. Nice one mate.

If you somehow truely misunderstood and expected everything in the first pic and are not happy with what you have received, send the item back undamaged and ill refund the full cost.

There is likely some ebay fine print somewhere saying only the item for sale can be in the first image or something like that...

Ive sold a bunch of these and not had a problem. What do you think? Is the ad unclear? Do I need to add "you are buying the 6mm machined aluminium plate only, It does not come with a brake booster, engine bay, wiper motor, or chrome motor housing"

Do you think he was possibly genuinely expecting the Chrome steel motor housing or is he trying to scam me?

Either way Im happy to refund if a buyer is not happy for any reason if they return the product undamaged.

#2 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Scammer or a Dumbass, there's plenty of both on feebay.

I sell a lot there too and I've dealt with both - try and keep replies friendly or you'll just end up with negative feedback. Your ad is fine - it's pretty clear what you're selling, maybe put a disclaimer at the bottom of your ad 'Does not include wiper motor, chrome cover, torana engine bay etc' just to make it clear to the less intelligent/observant buyer...

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hmm, I can certainly see where he might get confused, I've done this myself when rushing to buy and not fully reading an ad.

Your first line in the description says: "Brand new billet wiper motor cover to suit Torana", that could easily be describing the chrome motor cover shown in the first picture (see below) if you didn't really know one end of a wiper motor from the other, so I can see how he might think he was buying what was pictured...

image.png

I think all your pictures should really be showing your product on a standard OEM wiper motor with the caveat "Wiper motor not included".

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Your first line in the description says: "Brand new billet wiper motor cover to suit Torana", that could easily be describing the chrome motor cover

But the picture has a "billet" cover and the other item is a Chrome Steel cover which is not a billet item.

Ive told him im happy to refund the item as I accept returns for any reason as long as the item is returned undamaged.

#5 _fli304_

_fli304_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

The ad is fine. It's clear what is for sale. Another scammer trying to get something for nothing.

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Not trying to argue on the guy's behalf or anything, but while you and I know that a "billet" is a length of metal, I can see how some know-nothing young bloke might think "billet" means something shiny?

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Ive edited the ad anyway for the uh....to be clear.

Centered the first pic on the plate itself and put a clear note in the description.

#8 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

I would tell him to go through the eBay dispute process in the first instance, that way they handle the dispute and decide the outcomes. They will tell him to return this item with tracking etc. Dont deal with this guy yourself use evil bays process to protect you.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

But the picture has a "billet" cover and the other item is a Chrome Steel cover which is not a billet item.

Ive told him im happy to refund the item as I accept returns for any reason as long as the item is returned undamaged.

Keep in mind that technically the chrome plated part is not a 'cover'. It is the motor housing or casing. The part you are selling is a cover plate.

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

Yes very true S Pack.

Anyway he filed a return case and stated item is not as described which automatically makes me need to pay postage.

I replied and said Im happy to refund the cost but I will not cover return post as I believe the item was listed clearly and to revise the return claim to “I have changed my mind”

Then he said he had already posted it for me to pay.

I replied “thankyou, as soon as I receive the item I will refund the purchase price”

Then this morning woke up and the claim has been cancelled. So not sure if he has sent it back or not. I will refund if it does come back undamaged.

Have updated the ad anyway to make it clear without a doubt! Live and learn

#11 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:Chris Curtis

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

I would cancel the sale.  You do this by refunding through the ebay process.

Send him a cancellation request.

Until you cancel, he can leave feedback.

Once cancelled, feedback can't be left as the sale technically didn't happen.

Otherwise, I would pay the postage, it's only $8.50, way cheaper in the long run than negative feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users