Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Name:Dion
  • Car:LC SL

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:38 AM

Gday all.

I’ve searched the forums and then the inter web for 202 pistons and either they’re not available anymore or not sure as I’m new. Here’s my combo and a silly/funny/stupid story to give some context on my experience (zero).

Black 202, 30 thou over,
Stg 1 cam dur 208@50, lift 420- hyd lifters, roller rockers
56cc yella terra alloy head, copper gasket with block oring, 15cc dished pistons (destroyed), calculated 7.7;1, m90 supercharger, pulleys running about 10ish psi, 42lb 440cc injectors, surge tank, Bosch 044 pump, w2a intercooler. Wolf 3D, vk Efi manifold, advance exhaust mani 2.5 inch. Trimatic, 3.36 diff, 13 inch all around. I think that’s the general gist.

So this is my first ever build and wanted to do as much as possible myself minus the obvious, such as machining etc.
So I told the gasket mob my head and block combo and what I needed to do to fit it. Straight fit and run, nothing to be done they said.

I ran in the cam, drove it down the road to trailer it to the tuner and it was missing. Pulled plugs and 1,5,3 were damaged pretty bad. Boroscope pics looked scary so I pulled the head. The head chambers and cast pistons were not good. Sandblasted, but no from detonation. I had not relieved the gasket to the chambers, so the valves ripped into the gasket and bounced copper around. Lucky I only had about 25 mins run time.

Pulled everything apart, and luckily the only damage is the head and pistons. The head has polished up easy and I will check the cc but might be 57cc now but won’t know till I fluid test later.

Here’s where I’m struggling. I just read old Johnnos six info for the 20th time and squish makes sense and seems important so my 15cc dish pistons were overkill anyway and losing hp.
Might turn boost up over time but for now 10-12 is it.

Ultimate goal is some forgies with cc area dish only. Only flat tops I can find from what I’ve searched.
I found some silver lite, with valve relief which should give me more neg cc then flat tops, and I have a feeling that I could go to 9:1 cr with my low boost and ecu advance control as long as I run 98, maybe with a dash of e85 to guarantee high octane.

Anyway, after this huge story, I’m struggling to find pistons, half the pistons I’ve searched on this forum aren’t available anymore.
Please help.

All info in regards to any part of this combo greatly appreciated, especially piston and cr.

Feel free to have a dig at the copper gasket fiasco. I was told by the company it’s a fit and run, but I didn’t test fit to the head, just sat it on the block then chucked the head on. Pretty funny in a cry yourself to sleep kinda way. I’ll put some pics up for everyone’s amusement soon.

Cheers guys.

#2 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

hi mate,

i see your posts on fb regarding this.ill go out on a limb here if a set of forged slugs are out of the question just grab any set of quality slugs a slight dish might be suitable id even go to say you might get away with a flat top slug , i have been involved in machining dishes into the old acl race series slugs with great results (but if you have to pay the machine shop to do this the cost is going to get close to a cheap set of forged slugs id think).

yes its very common to have to match the copper gasket to bore/valve reliefs.

I've got a turbo red motor i like to think its pretty modified its on E85 ,injected, 9.5 to 1, like yours mine is also alloy head so that helps if the comp is higher. my thoughts are your better off to have the comp higher than lower. last time i checked it was 2019 not 1969. 

cheers H

#3 lawn bowls

lawn bowls

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Car:72 lj 4 door

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

Hi dion I just brought a set of Carrillo forged dished pistons 10cc dished with pins through spool took about 6 weeks $1650 and a set of h beam rods from Aussie speed $795

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

Thanks DrG LC. Yeah that FB page only has a few people on it but the wealth of knowledge is out of control and it’s not full of wankers which is the case for most car pages. That helps me with regards to CR. I’m going either flat tops forged or the silver lite with the valve relief for a few extra cc.
Money isn’t a factor, not cos I’m loaded, just cos I’ve bought and made everything top shelf, why stop at the pistons. Originally I got duralite cast dished as I couldn’t find anything forged with a dish or similar, and I knew less and was concerned with having a low compression ratio. Glad I got them anyway so I killed a 300 set rather then 1200.
Learning a lot as I go. Expensive lessons but aren’t they all.

Cheers lawn bowls. Where about my friend?

#5 lawn bowls

lawn bowls

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Thanks DrG LC. Yeah that FB page only has a few people on it but the wealth of knowledge is out of control and it’s not full of wankers which is the case for most car pages. That helps me with regards to CR. I’m going either flat tops forged or the silver lite with the valve relief for a few extra cc.
Money isn’t a factor, not cos I’m loaded, just cos I’ve bought and made everything top shelf, why stop at the pistons. Originally I got duralite cast dished as I couldn’t find anything forged with a dish or similar, and I knew less and was concerned with having a low compression ratio. Glad I got them anyway so I killed a 300 set rather then 1200.
Learning a lot as I go. Expensive lessons but aren’t they all.

Cheers lawn bowls. Where about my friend?

hi mate North Queensland Holden 6 don’t make a if the self forged dished pistons they make a dished cast pistons and forged flat tops pistons I had to wait about 6 weeks from USA

#6 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Out of interest how much power are you aiming for D-Train?

#7 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

To be honest, I’ve never had a power goal. Wanted a Torana and a sc since I was a kid so I combined both my wants into a need. I made it so I have the potential to turn it up if I want later on. Would love to add nitrous one day.
So lawn bowls, you found a set of 202 forgies and had them custom dished?

#8 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

There have been turbo 202's that have made over 500rwhp with acl race series and a dish machined.  It's all in the tune, not even forgies will last with a bad tune.  You might want to look into upgrading your injectors and your ecu if you plan to use E85.  Not sure which version of Wolf you are using.

Also wouldn't be a bad idea to use a wideband controller/sensor to monitor A/F ratios.

#9 lawn bowls

lawn bowls

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

To be honest, I’ve never had a power goal. Wanted a Torana and a sc since I was a kid so I combined both my wants into a need. I made it so I have the potential to turn it up if I want later on. Would love to add nitrous one day.
So lawn bowls, you found a set of 202 forgies and had them custom dished?

no mate I wouldn’t recommend to get flat tops machined out for dished it weakens the pistons mine the cp Carrillo pistons where custom made I do have photos of the pistons but can’t upload to show you

#10 lawn bowls

lawn bowls

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:01 PM

no mate I wouldn’t recommend to get flat tops machined out for dished it weakens the pistons mine the cp Carrillo pistons where custom made I do have photos of the pistons but can’t upload to show you

Attached File  IMG_0083.jpg   378.01K   4 downloads

#11 D-Train

D-Train

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:44 AM