#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

Hi all, just want to put my oil filter on the new engine to keep any dust or crap out of the pump whilst it is sitting around. I am of the view that I will half fill the filter with oil before I fit it, because that is all that will be left in it when I try to fit it, but am curious as to any comments +/-. Cheers Ron

#2 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

I always smear a bit of oil around the gasket and half fill the filter to prime it ,works for me!

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:40 PM

Thanks Paul. I had heard that but don't quite understand why you need to do it. Cheers Ron

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:04 AM

My mate has built plenty of engines in his time never once has he put oil in the filter before putting it on the motor

#5 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

I always fill the new filter on the chevs. Cause they are vertical it’s easy to not make a mess. I don’t bother on the Holden V8s. Too messy!

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

I've never bothered filling the filter at a regular service, but I do just before initial startup on a fresh engine build.

I always smear a bit of oil around the gasket and half fill the filter to prime it ,works for me!

Thanks Paul. I had heard that but don't quite understand why you need to do it. Cheers Ron

It's just to stop the o-ring snagging and getting out of the groove as the filter is being spun on. Most quality oil filters come with a little grease on the o-ring anyway.

#7 dron

dron

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Name:Darren
  • Car:UC
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:34 PM

On a new build I always prime the engine oil system before starting, Part fill the filter and crank it over with no spark plugs until I get some oil pressor.

I have never filled a Holden red filter during a normal service.  On most of the heavy diesels I normally work on the book recommends filling the filters before fitting and some say that if you do not it will void the warranty. I guess it comes down to what the manufacturer recommends.

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

I don't quite understand why you need to do it. Cheers Ron

Just makes the oil light/ gauge work quicker...…………...less cranking.

#9 _liam kelly_

_liam kelly_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

Is it true that putting oil in through the pressure sender hole can help to prime the pump ?

#10 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

Is it true that putting oil in through the pressure sender hole can help to prime the pump ?

You shouldn't need to, unless it is a new motor that hasn't been started. Then yes, it is worth doing.

#11 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

Please do not rely on this to prime a V8 Holden pump it will not.

#12 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

Well I wouldn't say it won't prime an oil pump as it has worked for me more than once, it's just a bit hit 'n miss. I think it depends on how tight the clearances are inside the pump, but for my money it's certainly worth a quick try before you go pulling the pump apart again.

Packing the oil pump with grease usually works but that's a one shot deal and I don't really like the idea of pumping all that grease around inside the engine, you at least need to make sure the grease you use is compatible with your chosen engine oil.

#13 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Both points above are correct. Pumping oil in the sender hole helps raise pressure faster, but doesn't prime the pump. Priming can be difficult in the 308. Use petroleum jelly, not grease. The jelly will dissolve quickly, grease will take longer to do so and will partially block the filter until it does. The pump and gallery form an s bend to ensure that oil can be re-primed after oil changes,etc. If I do a fresh build I'd use a SMALL amount of Vaseline in the pump. Then prime the engine using an old oil filter/adaptor and oil pump. Need a better pump than the one i used here, but it does the job.

Cheers, Steve

#14 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

I wasn't going to ask this question originally but glad I did now.  Stimulates some thoughts and ideas and hope it has helped others.  FYI my engine builder told me he had primed the pump but not sure exactly what he did.  Will ask next time i speak with him.  Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users