#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Hi all.  I've got a new water pump and it comes with a gasket and metal plate fixed before the impeller (as per photo) and a separate gasket.  Therefore it would be installed as timing cover/gasket/plate/gasket/water pump. My question is, should/do I need to use gasket seal as well and if so where do I put it, given I can't get the first gasket or the metal plate off.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

Edited by Cook, 21 June 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

Ron, either loctite aviation compound or 3 bond number 1, is what i would use, leave it over night fill the next day & no leaks, you could put some between the water pump & plate or just on the gasket face mate, clean the excess as you go. Pretty easy job mate, don't forget to tighten the pump in the torque sequence though. Gary.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Yes, aviation No.3 (non hardening), push it in with the brush supplied. As there are 2 gaskets involved, that's a fair bit of packing, it will be fine.

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

I never bother if all surfaces are in good condition, just install them dry. Would normally run plain water for the first few heat cycles after installing (same as head gaskets), before swapping to glycol coolant.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the responses gents.  I need to make sure I get this right before the first run of new engine so may get someone with more practical experience to fit it.  I did do the water pump on the ute (253) successfully but wasn't anywhere as critical. LOL.  Decided to see how the flex plate fitted up with the commodore starter motor and guess what, the bolts supplied by the engine builder are the wrong size.  Now I need to try and find a bolt that fits so I can work out what size I need.  Another fun day in the garage.  I also have a question about wiper motors but will post that separately.  Cheers Ron

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

Years ago, on 1 of the big torana's i ran a bosch vs commodore 5.0l starter, i was pretty sure it came with new correct bolts, but we had plenty of holden 6 & 8 bolts on hand, i think both bolts that go up, are the same thread & length, so you should just need a second of the long bolt mate. Easy as, slip into an industrial store & you should be all good, don't forget the short bolt on the side of the block near the solenoid too. Gary.

#7 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Gary.  Apologies as I wasn't clear in my post.  I have the bolts for the starter motor and you are right they are the same length.  It's the bolts for the flexplate that are wrong.  I have been given 3/8-16 bolts and having done a bit of reading I think the correct ones are 7/16.  Cheers Ron

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

All good mate, yeah i would imagine that the flex plate bolts would be 7/16" then. You can measure them. Could be handy for you to get yourself a pair of digital verniers, the 1's that do fractions would be handy for you. + a thread pitch gauge. That would probably help you out mate. Hare & Forbes will probably have them in store & on sale atm.

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Gary.  I have a digital verniers caliper (don't think they do fractions) but didn't realise you could measure bolt size with them.  And you learn something every day (and my motto is the day you don't learn something is the day you need to do something different) as I've never heard of a pitch thread gauge.  Will take a wander to H & F tomorrow. Thanks and cheers Ron

#10 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Hi Ron, the thread pitch gauge is going to tell you the tpi (threads per inch), you put the gauges into the thread on the nut, bolt or machine screw that you want to check & you'll find 1 that fits, it will be numbered like you said about the flex plate bolts, ending with say -16 ect. That way you can tell if it's a unf (fine thread) or unc (coarse thread) that's pretty much the 2 threads on a torana. Very handy, about the size of a feeler gauge set, similar in looks. You can also get a imperial thread file, for repairing slight damage on a thread. It's marked with the tpi aswell. I know Hare & Forbes do have fractional verniers & i think they're good on price, i already had a set. You'll find some good stuff at h & f though, so you might have a splurge. Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users