Walk off front

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _FartyMcPoo_

_FartyMcPoo_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hi folks  B)

I'm in the process of planning out my build - I have a UC hatch and all the LX parts for the change. I'm planning to implant a LS2/3 & 6 speed auto so there's a little space negotiation to be had under the bonnet.

Knowing that the UC front end has to come off to get the LX front fitted I'm wondering if it makes sense to build a bolt on front end rather than welding one on - the thought here being easy install of the LS & box.

Has anyone done something like this before? 

#2 _FartyMcPoo_

_FartyMcPoo_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

No one?

Any theories on whether it would be viable?

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

I know it is far easier to register a walk off front for pre 71 cars as they dont have the same frontal impact requirements as later cars. I would say very difficult to do legally on a UC if you want to drive it on the street.

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

I've seen it done a couple of times but I think you'd need to fabricate replacement chassis rails as the factory ones wouldn't have the strength without all the supporting panels attached?

And of course that means the car becomes an "Individually Constructed Vehicle" (ICV), which is a lot more involved to get engineered.

But as an example, see here: http://www.gmh-toran...c-my-lh-stolen/

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

If its just for easy engine and trans install then maybe just change the top of the radiator support to a bolt-in piece, have seen it here somewhere once or twice. Remove the radiator, undo a few bolts and remove the top piece, then you have the whole radiator area open.

#6 _FartyMcPoo_

_FartyMcPoo_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies I need a good dose of common sense input sometimes. Hadn't even thought about the rego part - good call.

The removable rad support top is an interesting idea though..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users