Good Reproduction XU1 rear spoiler/ bobtail - Where to get?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

When I rebuilt the LJ, after a lot of internal debate, I decided to add the bobtail rear spoiler....

I had one on the shelf, but the mounts were broken, so the Panel beater suggested better to replace than try & fix...

He suggested Sydney Special Vehicles, & I purchased one from them and had it delivered to the panel beater. The car was finished, I took it home for re-assembly before bringing it back the the panels shop for a final buff, and to get the spoiler fitted. (it had been mounted before being removed for painting).

Long story short, the spoiler sat at the panel shop for about 2.5 years before I finally got it back together, and out for fitting..... But the result did not make me happy!

The fit is terrible. The boot lock hole is a raw edged cutout, rather than the tapered opening like the originals had. Screws are not flush, and have been brush touched up, etc.

The panel guy agree's it's no good, and thinks the spoiler has warped in storage... either way, it seems to me the spoiler needs to be replaced.

So I'm after suggestions on where to get a good reproduction rear spoiler (unless anyone has an original they would like to sell me?)

Attached Files

#2 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Do I take the lack of response as no-one has found such a thing as a good reproduction?

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

Do I take the lack of response as no-one has found such a thing as a good reproduction?

Hi - Brad Merrick ( https://www.xu-1.com...rior_parts.html) makes faithful reproductions in fibreglass as per original. Among his many talents he builds surfboards, so he knows his stuff as far as fibreglass goes.

Cheers

Bazza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users