26 replies to this topic

#26 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:51 AM

My mates 71 HQ coupe has some random number stamped into the firewall as well.

#27 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

That isn’t a random number. It is how Pagewood tracked the car through the assembly process. The number will I appear on the broadcast sheet if he has it. When you pull one of these apart you’ll find 2 digit numbers in chalk all over the car- they will match the last 2 digits of that number. For example, Pagewood painted the front panels in the body plant with the body, the panels then went onto overhead conveyors that went to the assembly plant. So 2 digit numbers were chalked inside the panels so that when the body eventually entered the assembly plant it could be reunited with its panels. Same numbers went onto the chassis/rails, and driveline components. Remember until a certain time in HG the only identifier on a Pagewood body as it left the body plant was it’s body plate and chassis number on the firewall. All it had on the body tag was model, colour and trim. The body number on the body tag was a count up of what number that body was in the model sequence. So one body might be 81837GR 99-S (or H5), the next might be 80369GR 4000-S (or H5) followed by maybe HG80180 400-A. So using the last two digits of the chassis number made sense as there could be 3 or 4 or more body numbers the same or with the same last two digits. Come HQ there was no chassis number on the body (put on right at the exit of the assembly plant) so they continued with a body identifier on the firewall. This continued until Pagewood began building VB bodies where another system was employed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users