MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:27 PM

Sorry about another boring post, but Just curious to know members thoughts on taking their XU1's to car shows. Here on the Gold Coast we have two large shows 'Cooley Rocks On' and Gold Coast Car show both of which attract hundreds of cars and spectators but in the last 2 years of attending I'm yet to see an XU1 or even a GTR on display? I personally hadn't considered it cause I don't like people that much, and I didn't buy my car to show off however if you read a couple of U Tube US posts from a Casey PUTSCH, he lays out some valid argument's regarding classic cars  and keeping the Millennium generation and thereafter interested in classic cars  particularly if we want them to hold their values for the next 20 years or so. Thinking we should all be taking them to shows and promoting them to the younger generations most of which haven't even heard of our cars. Having them in the garage at home serves little purpose other than self pleasure and gratification that we own something rare and expensive which might not be expensive in another 20 years? Can someone convince me either way?

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,812 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:29 PM

A mother pushing a pram will scratch it.

#3 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:02 PM

All it takes is some V8 exhaust noise from an older car and the young ones take note. Even the turbo rice cooker or diesel clans take notice of a booming V8. Not sure how you get them to take notice of 6cyl stuff like an LC/LJ but some of them will love them. Especially if they see them at full noise. Standing trackside watching Touring Car Masters the most impressive car of the lot is the 6cyl Valiant screaming it’s tits off. That is how to get the younger generation’s attention! The SBC powered Camaros and Toranas sound awesome, but the screaming 6cyl sounds very different and turns heads.

#4 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

Take it to the show

fully detail is so it looks cherry ripe

as soon as you park it put a car cover on it

problem solved

#5 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

I think the racing heritage of our cars i.e Bathurst should grab their interest. I'm guessing my only issue will be the wankers that will nit pick or the older folk that chew your ears off and won't leave you alone.

#6 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:36 PM

Just do it

Attached Files

#7 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:08 AM

I know what you're saying MFM. I've certainly experienced owners who won't put their GTRs/XU-1s on display because they're precious (the owner's more than the cars), thankfully no-one that's on this site that I know of. It's fair enough in a way and a lot of the time comes down to maintaining security. Also, as someone said above but to a lesser extent, they don't want to be nitpicked. I don't understand it myself because Toranas are not so expensive to warrant such behavior compared to some of the other cars we display.

#8 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

Static car shows are boring as batshit..

Take it out for a drive up a nice country road and have lunch somewhere..

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Or take it to the drag strip. Keep your original XU1 driveline in the shed, fit some other worth-far-less QL/JL block and Aussie 4spd from a Holden or Commodore in it and use it!

#10 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

Or take it to the drag strip. Keep your original XU1 driveline in the shed, fit some other worth-far-less QL/JL block and Aussie 4spd from a Holden or Commodore in it and use it!

Like they were meant for racing ✌️

#11 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

Lined up for the drag strip yeah baby.
And a Merry Xmas to All

Attached Files

#12 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:53 AM

keeping the Millennium generation and thereafter interested in classic cars particularly if we want them to hold their values for the next 20 years or so.

This is what annoys me about SIVS rego .

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:26 PM

I forgot about that bit Col. Mines on full rego cause I can't be bothered being governed by silly restrictions as they may cancel your insurance if you are caught out and try and make a claim on insurance. but then again I've only owned mine coming up 2 years whereas most of the blokes on this forum have owned there's (XU1's/GTR's I'm specifically referring to) for over 20 years I'm guessing, so the novelty of driving it weekly will wear off in time. I'm also from the camp that believes if you want to drive em hard buy a 4 door and put a V8 in it. I paid far to much to flog this around the back streets like I did in the 80's. Imagine putting a rod through the side of my matching JP block!!!!! and to put a QL or another block so I can hoon around sort of defeats the purpose of owning one of these classics in my view,however there is some validity in this advise (Going off topic) because I keep fouling plugs as they are as black as soot and every now and then (twice in the last year) she drops a cylinder when I 1st start her cold. Clean the plugs and away she goes. 

#14 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

Try a hotter heat range spark plug and 12v to the coil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users