3 replies to this topic

#1 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

Looking for recommendations for modern electronic automatic transmissions for us in a HQ. behind a Holden motor...

Anyone got experience with controllers for use with a carburetor motor?

It’s already got a VT th 700 so looking for an upgrade from that.

Cheers Scott

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:38 AM

No TH700 in VT, those are full electronic 4L60E. Best off staying with the VT box with aftermarket shift ECU if running a carby. Just look on sites like Summit for an ECU, locals like Rodshop and Marks 4WD sell them too.
I’d just fit a whole VN-VSIII top end and run the Delco ECU to run the box.

#3 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Yel. Merry Christmas.

Just thinking aloud with this one. Car is currently a going concern albeit with a few reliability issues.

It’s a VT series 1, 5 liter.

It’s got what I would call the electronic version of the th700 ... is that the 4L60? I’ve also got a couple of the earlier th700.

I’ve got a few electronic reliability issues so just thinking of changing to a 304 with a harrop inlet that I have spare (probably with throttle body efi) and a more modern trannie.

I don’t know could persist. On a drive down to Sydney the other day 250km) the transmission started to play up, probably due to heat issues. Possibly need a fan on the oil cooler and maybe a bigger cooler

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

4L60 is basically a TH700R4. Like a 3L80 is a TH400. The name changed when GM Powertrain was formed, not long into VN here. 4L60E is the ECU controlled version which started here in VR. If you plan to run the VT Delco ECU I’d leave what you have but get the box checked out by a competent auto mechanic. If it’s getting hot it is normally the converter, try running in 3rd if it does. Box may just need an overhaul and a rebuilt converter. Bigger cooler won’t hurt, and run synthetic fluid.
If you are changing to throttle body EFI and using the Delco ECU you could get your auto control optimised too at the same time.
The EFI 5L is pretty simple, not much to go wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users