Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

They are so far behind Ford Australia, and so out of touch with what Australians want, I reckon the whole company will be in mothballs before the end of 2020.

https://www.whichcar...-RbdGV2aRm7FzDc

Attached File  Raptor.JPG   119.1K   9 downloads

#2 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

please tell me that will exist?

#3 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:41 PM

Yep. Being bought into Oz as diesels & getting engine swap done by 3rd party, but sold by Ford

#4 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

so $100k ?

that's #@$^%&..

#5 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

Yea, probably...

#6 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

Or, there's always this https://www.caradvic...arrop-superado/
Cheapest option is $38k on top of purchase price

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

Yep. Being bought into Oz as diesels & getting engine swap done by 3rd party, but sold by Ford

Tickford? :huh:

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

I’d have one tomorrow but not a Raptor full of useless cr@p. If they’d do an XLS I’d have one.
I’ve been looking also at buying a base Colorado, they are about $35k, but buying without warranty or on roads, and shipping straight to Killa Customs in QLD for an LS3 and 6L80E conversion. These are about $25k. I’d also do the bigger front brakes and a pair of Recaros too. Would still be getting close to $70k though once it is regoed.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:21 AM

Harrop do a supercharged LSA into the Colorado https://www.superado.com.au/

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:36 AM

So do Killa Customs

#11 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:45 AM

I suppose you could fit a pretty big fuel tank in the tray but where's the dog gunna sit on your way to Cape York ? For a 4X4 I'd go diesel any day, old school diesel with a mechanical pump. Who cares if it's slow, it beats walking and it's not going to burn to the ground if you get a fuel leak.

If I decide I need a V8 ute I'd be looking for rear wheel drive and low enough not to not do a barrel roll if I have to change direction in a hurry. I can see lots of these getting wrapped around trees on gravel roads.

#12 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:50 AM

I’d say the Execs have seen the writing on the wall for GMH so they do not want to bother investing in the company for its future. So they will just milk it for what’s left and let it run dry.

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

95% of these are bought for purposes that aren’t travelling to Cape York. They are bought for everyday driving, towing and for tradies. You cannot buy them with old fashioned diesels, they come with unreliable heaps of rubbish and they break down regularly. Even the better ones - friend bought a new 200 Series and it had both DPF’s replaced within the first few months. I drove a near new Everest over Xmas and it was about as powerful as a 4cyl Torana, gutless piece of junk. Mine only has a supercharged V6 and there is nothing I can buy in a similar size to replace it. I don’t care if it uses a bit more fuel, you wouldn’t catch me buying a 173 HQ or a Sunbird as they saved a bit of fuel - I’d be buying the biggest engine available.

#14 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

Those won't sell in significant numbers. According to the figures we want Taiwanese dual cabs for less than $60k. Hilux, Ranger, Triton. I just bought a cheap and cheerful top spec Triton for $41k to supplement my Patrol and can see why these are popular.

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

I do get the use of the pissant diesels as a dual cab to putt around in, but if you need to tow 2500kg over long distances they are no good. They are also no good if they have to go back to dealers any more often than for a 6 monthly service. I always steer people towards Mitsubishi as they are great for what you pay, but no good for towing. One problem now is those new ones probably have taken the title off the XC Falcon as the ugliest car sold in Australia!

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

Are the DPF failures due to these bush trucks being used in city slicker environments?

#17 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

95% of these are bought for purposes that aren’t travelling to Cape York. They are bought for everyday driving, towing and for tradies. 

Not sure I agree with the 95%. Every cashed up cowboy / cowgirl west of the divide will be signing up for one. Not sure on the statistics but it seems to me that Raptors are the most popular new 4X4 ute buy around here these days. Stick a V8 in one and you have the ultimate B&S street cred in town.

I can definitely see the appeal, especially if you have to tow around something like a horse float or large boat, trailer or caravan but seriously, half the boat / caravan / 4X4 combos I see up here shouldn't even be allowed on the road. A decent gust of wind is going to make the towing limit irrelevant.

#18 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:10 AM

Haha Byron, you are better than that. Pissants, really? What Patrol, Land Cruiser or Land Rover comes with a supercharged V6; those being the only 4WDs worth owning of course?

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

Are the DPF failures due to these bush trucks being used in city slicker environments?

Poor design. Plus turning the wick up on small engines to make them go harder, and go bang. It isn’t a new story, just think turbo 6 in the early 80’s versus a near stock 5.0L V8. The 6 will never last as long.

#20 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

Haha Byron, you are better than that. Pissants, really? What Patrol, Land Cruiser or Land Rover comes with a supercharged V6; those being the only 4WDs worth owning of course?

I meant 2-3L pissants. That is what they are when you think about it. Good for light use, but not really suited to towing in excess of 2500kg over long distances. Wherever I go in NSW overtaking lanes are all uphill. To me they are the Sunbird of dual cab utes.
Nothing other than a TRD Hilux came with a Supercharged V6, although you can do it to any Hilux, Landcruiser or FJ Cruiser with a V6, but I only supercharged mine as I had no viable alternative for towing.
You can buy a Patrol with a good V8 petrol engine, Toyota never really fitted one as they reserved it for the LX570. Sure you can buy a V8 TD but have you seen what a GXL costs new? And then neither of them come in a ute which is what most people want, you can get the TD V8 in a ‘cruiser Ute but by the time you spend $25k on an auto conversion it is way overpriced and about as comfortable to sit in as a SIII Landrover. In the end only a Ram1500 Express stacks up at the moment.

#21 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

You've got some figures to back up those claims of engines going bang, right? And take your blinkers off.

Edited by Zook, 03 January 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#22 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

Not sure I agree with the 95%. Every cashed up cowboy / cowgirl west of the divide will be signing up for one. Not sure on the statistics but it seems to me that Raptors are the most popular new 4X4 ute buy around here these days. Stick a V8 in one and you have the ultimate B&S street cred in town.

I can definitely see the appeal, especially if you have to tow around something like a horse float or large boat, trailer or caravan but seriously, half the boat / caravan / 4X4 combos I see up here shouldn't even be allowed on the road. A decent gust of wind is going to make the towing limit irrelevant.

I’d include all those as everyday use. If you wan’t to go touring you’d want a reliable old diesel as you say, like an old troop carrier with a 4.2TD or even older, maybe one of those new Tanzanian spec straight 6 non turbo diesels!

#23 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

Byron is correct most dual cabs of today are pretty gutless and couldn't pull skin off custard
Dont go by the towing capacity recommended its been proven they are wrong
I wouldn't like to be towing 3.5 tonnes of caravan at 110 km in a dual cab then try to brake in hurry major fail

I do like the Raptor though

#24 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

About 2500kg pulls them up. I still wouldn’t tow more than 2500kg with that V8 Raptor, and the 2.0L diesel one is a joke, so underpowered it isn’t funny.

#25 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

, maybe one of those new Tanzanian spec straight 6 non turbo diesels!

They still build them with the old non turbo HZJ motor for most countries in Africa. The whole dual cab with front and rear diff locks fitted is less than 50k.  The only reason we can't have it here is because the federal government imposes a massive tax on anything that isn't Euro 5 compliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users