Photo

Holden manual bellhousing are they the same?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bradlc70

Bradlc70

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:Lc

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hi there, I haven't been on here for a while and have gotten back into working on my car. Are Torana 138 manual bellhousings the same  and will one from 138 red fit a 186? 

I am about to refit the clutch and bellhousing to my LC with 186 engine four speed. I found a 138 bellhousing and clutch fork off a LC LJ Torana a long time ago and it had done very little work and even had the original Holden clutch on the back of the motor, compared to the much used and abused original one from my car. My question is are they the same? They look identical except the casting numbers are different and after a heavy degrease you can visually see 138 in chalk on the case, that spooked me into doubting the interchangeability. I figured i'd ask here prior to finding out the hard way! Thanks 

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Two different casting numbers may indicate one bellhousing suits M15 3spd + Aussie M20 4spd, the other may suit the Opel M20 4spd.

Will your gearbox bolt up to both bellhousings?

#3 Bradlc70

Bradlc70

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. It fits up to the box okay, so I will go ahead and try it. I figured Holden would keep castings the same on the manual six, just the different numbers made me question it. 

Thanks.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

As a matter of interest, what are the 2 casting numbers. That may help in their ID.

Dr Terry

#5 Bradlc70

Bradlc70

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Dr Terry for the reply.

The number on the 138 one looks like: 7433 then (6?) 98   88-2 Holden. The 6 is hard to tell if it's a 6 8 or 9 due to the casting line.  (I think it's 7433698 88-2 Holden)

The original one is really hard to tell due to the really rough casting lines through the numbers. Holding a torch against it at different angles it almost looks the same although it could be easily be interpreted as 7433 followed by either a 6 or 0 or even an 8 then 98 88- 2?  the end 2 looks really like more like a T followed by Holden.

If I had a third one to compare it to i'd be right! 

Thanks 

Edited by Bradlc70, 06 January 2020 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users