Photo

best aftermarket front windscreen rubber ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

Hi guy's a friend is up to fitting a windscreen in his lj xu1, he needs a new rubber & he's wanting to know what supplier currently makes the best looking & fitting product. Thanks, Gary.

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

Hyundai Excel rubber im not joking
but i dont think they have sorted that problem out with the bottom corners lifting up Gary

#3 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

Hyundai Excel rubber im not joking
but i dont think they have sorted that problem out with the bottom corners lifting up Gary

I hope someone has has a fix, because the tape holding mine down looks sh#t and is going to make it hard to pass engineering ha ha
(Purchased from rare spares a couple of years ago)

Watching with interest.

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

So the Rares rubber is obviously no good then ?????

#5 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:02 PM

I recently used Rarespares front and rear on my LJ, fitted by RACQ. Perfect

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:54 PM

I recently used Rarespares front and rear on my LJ, fitted by RACQ. Perfect

Give it time

#7 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'm a Auto glass /Windscreen fitter been fitting for 40 years,..most reproduction rubbers are just OK, Rare spares stuff has improved over the years,.LC-LJ windscreen rubbers were always a bit floppy,..and the LH-X-UC rubbers were made to wide,..but i notice in recent times that's been corrected a little bit better these days..A good experienced fitter can make some off the crap fit a little better..I use keep a lot of old original rubbers if they were still useable as i got sick off of spending extra time making someone's average product look good..As far as using Hyundai rubbers,. what we in the industry call universal rubbers that's ok for a hot-rodded or modified car but when restoring car's such XU1's L34' etc for the originally look you need to fit factory style windscreen rubbers...

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

Thanks, he believes that his had been changed out, as the lower corners where sitting up. Looks like he may have to go with a rares 1 if he can't find an original anywhere. Gary.

I'm a Auto glass /Windscreen fitter been fitting for 40 years,..most reproduction rubbers are just OK, Rare spares stuff has improved over the years,.LC-LJ windscreen rubbers were always a bit floppy,..and the LH-X-UC rubbers were made to wide,..but i notice in recent times that's been corrected a little bit better these days..A good experienced fitter can make some off the crap fit a little better..I use keep a lot of old original rubbers if they were still useable as i got sick off of spending extra time making someone's average product look good..As far as using Hyundai rubbers,. what we in the industry call universal rubbers that's ok for a hot-rodded or modified car but when restoring car's such XU1's L34' etc for the originally look you need to fit factory style windscreen rubbers...

Any chance you know of a correct looking mylar strip for lc/lj at all. Needs to be xu1 quality ? Gary.

#9 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

mob in Queensland there name eludes me ATM ,.i personally don't like recommend anymore as what might work for me may not always work for others..again in recent times most mylar chrome moulds have improved,.sometimes they can be very stiff,..the trick is to put the mylar strip out in the sun or in a hot bucket of water and bit of lube in the rubber..

#10 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

I ended up using my original seals and Rare Spares Mylar ,I think it depends on your front windscreen too ,if it's original or not, can have a slight different curvature with aftermarket ones .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users