LS1 into my Torana

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _Andrew.A_

_Andrew.A_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

Hi members i am chasing some info on the mods required to put an LS1 into my Torana and realy don't have a clue. 

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

G'day Andrew,

You will need to consult an engineer, I thought QLDTMR used to publish a list of them but now it looks like you need to ring them on 13 23 80 and ask.

I'd suggest you talk to an engineer before you do anything, there shouldn't be any problem with an LS1 conversion but it's best to have an engineer on board from the beginning.

Also, have a read of the TMR website, it should answer most questions and it has links to the various codes of practice:

https://www.tmr.qld....e-modifications

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:08 AM

Depends on the m/y of the Torana and what LS you are looking at. If it is an earlier (pre 6/76) one it will be a lot cheaper and easier to fit a SBC. Engineering of an LS engine may cost $1000’s. A 377ci SBC with aftermarket alloy heads, roller cam and a throttle body EFI will easily produce 450hp and will cost about the same to buy as a used LS3. Plus no special sump, off the shelf extractors that fit, easy fitment of gearbox, no need for cats etc.
If you are only looking at LS1 then a 350 built as above will do 400hp easy and be cheaper to build than 377.

#4 _Andrew.A_

_Andrew.A_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info i wasn't aware i needed an engineer as it come out with a 308 and didn't think was a mod, has anyone got some pics of an LS1 in an LX so i can see what has to be moved or moded to fit.    

#5 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

Read the post titled "The SL Project" in the members project section.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:40 PM

You need Engineering of an LS engine to show you have complied with emissions laws of the car the LS came from. I think the loophole in this area may be a crate engine. But in any case you need to Engineer the tunnel mods for the gearbox, the uprated rear axle (eg 9” unless keeping banjo), modified brakes (unless keeping factory brakes) etc.

If the car is an ADR27A car you need to prove compliance with that (costly) even if you get away with say a crate LS.

If the car is pre ADR27A then as long as you stay within a certain size of the biggest optional engine and the engine is from the same “manufacturer” then afaik you can self Engineer it. This is why I suggested a SBC if it is a pre 6/76 compliance. If you stuck to stuff standard or optional anywhere across LH-UC like L34 brakes, Super T10 box etc then no need for Engineering. You’d probably get away with TH350 or Muncie too. Most other boxes will require Engineering to do it right.

But as others also said, talk to an Engineer in your State and see exactly what they want.

Not sure what 308 has to do with an LS conversion though. HJ-HZ had a 308 too but you still need to Engineer an LS conversion in them.

#7 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:45 AM

Engineering won't be a problem .

He already has a T-56 & 9" behind the broken 308. 

#8 RedTaxi

RedTaxi

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

I'd fix the 308 up to a 355. None of the fitment dramas of the LS and sound a whole lot better too.

#9 Big_Red

Big_Red

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:24 AM

Not sure what 308 has to do with an LS conversion though. HJ-HZ had a 308 too but you still need to Engineer an LS conversion in them.

Any engine which was not offered in that lineup requires engineering.

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

Any engine which was not offered in that lineup requires engineering.

Agree. Even a 350 in a HJ needs an Engineering sign-off but it is easy and cheap. HX-WB gets expensive as you have to comply with ADR27A. Conversely in my HK I need Engineering for the Rodtech front end and brakes, 9”, TH350 gearbox crossmember, modified tailshaft and V2 CV8 front seats. But not the SBC as the block is dated 1968. Not the Sniper EFI or Vintage Air. I think I have to Engineer the 15” wheels but not the width as they are 6” and 7” and within factory track and only 1” wider than standard.

#11 _Andrew.A_

_Andrew.A_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Thanks everone seem like there is a lot of different opinions out there and i do appresiate it; however i would like to here from somone that has already done this to thier LXSS Torana, nothing like getting it from the horses mouth.  

#12 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

If you are pretty handy when it comes to working on cars then none of it is difficult.

Buy the CRS kit and get stuck into it. Expect to have to “finesse” parts to get it all to fit ok.

If your not handy then expect it to be a moderately expensive exercise.

Apart from sump, pipes, mounts there are lots of semi unexpected costs including cats, fuel system upgrades, computer, wiring, tuning, radiator mods etc etc.

Fortunately time has moved on since the LS went into my LJ. It required making a custom sump from scratch and custom pipes.

They do make a nice street engine though. Light, plenty of power and reliable.

#13 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

Is engineering required if you convert an older engine to fuel injection?

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:49 AM

On pre ADR27A no.

#15 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

And are you allowed an aftermarket ecu that is programmable on an engine that was never fuel injected from the factory?

#16 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

Yes on pre ADR27A as long as both car and engine are pre 6/76. Once you get newer than that for either car or engine (in NSW at least) you need Engineering to show compliance with the emissions of whichever is the newer of car or engine.

#17 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

Ok and i'm assuming adding forced induction to an engine is going to need engineering regardless of how old the vehicle is.

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:13 PM

NCOP indicates so.

#19 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

From NCOP3_Section LA page 6/LA41...

NCOP3-Section-LA-Modifications-Requiring

How they define a "performance engine" is anyone's guess!

#20 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Here is one already done, but not yet Engineered. If it is near you might be worth having a look.

https://www.gumtree....inch/1239215813

There was a probably at least $12k worth of diff, tailshaft, exhaust, fuel system, gearbox crossmember and LS conversion bit (harness, throttle cable, hoses, radiator etc). Plus more. If you could afford it might be worth haggling and swapping it all into yours, then sticking your driveline into this Royal Plum car and flog it off, if it’s a good body you might get $15k for it. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users