MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

I have to removed my front windscreen in the XU1 to repair rust along the bottom channel. My major concern is that I do not want to break it when its put back in after the repairs. The rubber is the original and is still soft but I do have a 20 year old NOS one as a back up. The reason I do not want to break it is because its date coded 1974 (yes I know its not original) but its a laminated one I believe (Armourfloat) and I don't want the drama of having to track down a date matched screen in VGC not to mention the expense. The panel beater who's repairing the channel says he can't promise it won't break as he says when you re-insert the screen the last bit of this insertion required the screen to be twisted slightly to take it home. Am I best to pay for an experienced windscreen fitter to fit this, or is the insertion not too difficult?

Attached Files

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:17 AM

If it is a laminated screen I'd be more concerned about breaking it getting it out rather than putting it back in.

AFAIK the best way to get a laminated screen out is to cut and remove the lip of rubber that sits onto the glass. The screen will then lift out without stressing it.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

I agree getting out without breaking or cutting rubber very tricky.

Ive done heaps of torana screens and i broke the last one i removed from my torana.

#4 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

That makes me not feel so bad that mine cracked when I took it out recently. It's the only piece of glass that wasn't original, luckily the rest came out safely.

I'd definitely expect more chance of breaking it on removal the refitting.

#5 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

Ok Well thats not the response I expected? I suppose its been sitting in the rubber undisturbed since 1974 so I suppose its going to be more difficult getting out than in. I'm glad I asked because I thought the risk of breakage would have been getting it back in. Thanks for the responses.

#6 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

Send Unclefesta on here a pm he has been doing windscreens for 40 years he might know a trick or 2 maybe
cant hurt to ask a pro

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:54 PM

Ok Well thats not the response I expected? I suppose its been sitting in the rubber undisturbed since 1974 so I suppose its going to be more difficult getting out than in. I'm glad I asked because I thought the risk of breakage would have been getting it back in. Thanks for the responses.

I don't believe it matters all that much if its been 40 years or 4 years, although as the rubber seal ages it will become harder. If your screen is the zone toughened Safety glass type then carefully pushing it out with your feet near the top inside of the screen and a helper on the outside will be a suitable method, but do this with a laminated screen and there is a very high probability you will be buying a new windscreen.

Edited by S pack, 17 January 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

According to this your windscreen is not the Laminated type.

Armourfloat™
an old brand name used for Pilkington Toughened Safety Glass (See Product Data Sheet) see also toughened glass.

#9 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

It's definitely a bigger chance on removal, than installation. Just ring uncle fester & get a windscreen guy, i haven't broken a torana screen, but i have other's. I can still remember a day in my tafe training, very hot day, a bloke in our class was advised that the windscreen would break, he kept trying, but because it was hot, no one noticed, but he rolled up his sleeves and pants. & 10 minutes later, had about 1000 glass fragments in his arms and legs, at the first aid room for 6 hours. So a professional is the best idea. Most shops work in with windscreen people anyway.

I would not cut an original rubber that's good, even if you have to replace the glass instead.

#10 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

Ok so Armourfloat is not laminated? that's good (I think) especially with what you have said S Pack. I have also heard this from other sources that the originals were tough in a different way. I'll get onto unclefester. thanks again

#11 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

I have just dug out the NOS windscreen rubber that came with the car. Its in a Blue and white GM plastic bag with part number "1 - 7196636" can anyone decipher this number to tell me if its the correct front screen rubber?

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

I have just dug out the NOS windscreen rubber that came with the car. Its in a Blue and white GM plastic bag with part number "1 - 7196636" can anyone decipher this number to tell me if its the correct front screen rubber?

7196636 is correct for an HB, LC, LJ, TA front windshield rubber.

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Dave. One more question, this rubber looks like it only has 2 x curves. Shouldn't it have 4 to accommodate 4 corners of the windscreen or do they do that to allow for a bit of wriggle room when fitting?

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

No, only two moulded bends that are positioned at the bottom corners of the screen.

#15 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

Yep thats all its got, 2 x moulded bends. Thanks mate

#16 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:23 AM

Keep the screen and put a laminated one in. When those old green bombs go off it isn’t fun and they make a mess.

#17 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

I've balked at taking it out till I can find someone who knows what they are doing on the Gold Coast or Brisbane. Bloody hard to find experienced people who know our cars these days. I want to try and save the screen, not because of the cost involved in replacing it, just being stupid trying to retain as much of the originality as I can. Should have bought a  2 door Torana S. I can see why people buy tributes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users