rtorana1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Name:ray
  • Car:lj

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone have a circuit diagram on how to make the brake lights act as indicators as well. Like the old American cars.

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

https://1drv.ms/b/s!...jOypj4FHG0rWtKC

#3 rtorana1

rtorana1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:45 PM

Not what I'm after. This diagram shows separate indicator globes. What I need is a diagram that has one globe (red lens) which acts as the brake light and indicator, no amber lens like the old American cars used to have. The red brake light flashes when the indicator is selected.

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:26 AM

There's a few ways you could do it. I'd guess the yanks probably have an extra circuit within the indicator switch (?) but without that, the easiest way would be to add a changeover relay to each (left & right) brake light circuit that switches the current flow whenever the blinker flashes on, but it would require a little tricky wiring because you'd need an uninterrupted feed from the blinker stalk, not one from after the flasher can.

And obviously you'd have to treat the left and right circuits individually because you want the brake light on the other side to stay on. Might even be easier to bypass the original flasher can and add a new flasher unit (after the indicator stalk) that powers the energised side of the relays, but then you'd need to patch the front blinkers into the new circuit as well otherwise they'd just stay on.

It could also be done electronically with a small printed circuit board and some basic components but the relays are much easier.

Not sure what project this is for but it's definitely not legal to do this for anything made after 1972 (ADR 6 came into effect 1st Jan 1973).

Edited by Bigfella237, 08 February 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

AFIAK all cars after 1/1/60 require amber rear blinkers in NSW. I'm not sure what the rules are in other states, but all new cars sold in Aust. have been this way since 1960 also.

You do see the ocassional import get under the radar though.

FE/FC had their rear blinker flash red & if you want to do this on your LJ (??) it is pretty easy.

Just swap the wires at the stop light socket with the blinker globe on each side rear. Then swap the reverse light (green) wire from the blinker switch to the brake light switch & run the brake light wire to the blinker switch. Job done.

This way the rear red light will act as stop lights & blinkers & the ambers will just be reversing lights. As mentioned earlier not legal but this is how its done.

Dr Terry

#6 rtorana1

rtorana1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Won't swapping the wires at the sockets still mean that the brake and indicator lamp can be on at the same time, like turning right with your foot on the brake?

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:33 PM

My Cadillac ran the indicator circuit thru the brake light switch from memory

Try googling wiring diagrams of yank cars 

Eg... my car

http://oldcarmanualp...lac Deville.gif

#8 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

My Pagewood assembled ‘57 Chevy had the rear brake lights flash as indicators. Maybe grab a wiring diagram for one of those. Maintenance manuals for these are often on EBay cheap. Here is a dearer one but one of the photos looks like a wiring diagram.

https://www.ebay.com...0cAAOSwW0Vb1~yO

#9 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:24 PM

FX, FJ, FE and early FC did the same but closer to home.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

FX, FJ, FE and early FC did the same but closer to home.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

FX & FJ didn't have blinkers from the factory.

Won't swapping the wires at the sockets still mean that the brake and indicator lamp can be on at the same time, like turning right with your foot on the brake?

That's exactly how the system works. If you put the blinkers on the red light on that side flashes. With your foot on the brakes they both light up & then when the blinkers are selected the red light on that side flashes & the red light on the other side stays on.

This is how amber reversing lights work. The reverse lights are wired thru the blinker switch, so both rear blinkers come on when in reverse, if the blinker is selected the amber light in that side flashes. They make use of that same function within the blinker switch.

Dr Terry

#11 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

FX & FJ didn't have blinkers from the factory.

Dr Terry

Sorry, I was stretching it there dt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 rtorana1

rtorana1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

not what I am after. I am talking of a single filament globe which works as 1) a brake light when the brake pedal is depressed. 2) an indicator light (flashing) when that side indicator is switched on and 3) an indicator only (flashing) when both brake pedal is depressed and indicator is on. 

#13 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Why? 1) your going to get defected 2) the confused older driver behind you that can't tell your braking as you indicate is going to rear end you.

#14 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

not what I am after. I am talking of a single filament globe which works as 1) a brake light when the brake pedal is depressed. 2) an indicator light (flashing) when that side indicator is switched on and 3) an indicator only (flashing) when both brake pedal is depressed and indicator is on.

I think you may have misunderstood my explanation, but that's exactly what I have described.

This is how FE/FC Holdens work as well as the vast majority of US cars.

Dr Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users